13yr Old (F) Tail and Head Fat Stores Depleted

C3Sound

Original Poster
Hey all, I Have a 13-year-old female that is lethargic, sleeps for most of the day, has a hard time passing waste, and generally hasn't been eating much recently. I took her to the vet and they are giving her a vitamin, fluid, and anti-biotic shot (so far 2 of each spaced 3 days apart, with the last 3rd scheduled for Friday)

Her tail and head have sunken areas which I am assuming are fat stores that have been depleted.

Is this age? Is she just nearing the end of her life, and has just become too weak to continue?

Please advise! Thank you all!

C3Sound

Original Poster
Update:
I have crushed her food pellets up with calcium dust and mixed that with water. 'Sucked up with a non-needle (open tip) syringe and am slowly dropping it into her mouth when she allows me to do so. Ill see how this fairs - She had a bowel movement yesterday with the help of a lower abdominal massage. Just trying to make her as comfortable as possible.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great, did she seem to like the slurry you made her? You can also use canned pumpkin or squash to get some fiber & bulk into her.
Keep her warmer at night to make her comfortable.
Keep us posted on her progress.🌷

Tracie

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
You could try picking up some multivitamins to make up for her lack of appetite for salads. I second Oxbow critical care, that might make a bit of a difference… at this point it’s just a play of fate, make sure she’s comfortable and warm.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Update:
I have crushed her food pellets up with calcium dust and mixed that with water. 'Sucked up with a non-needle (open tip) syringe and am slowly dropping it into her mouth when she allows me to do so. Ill see how this fairs - She had a bowel movement yesterday with the help of a lower abdominal massage. Just trying to make her as comfortable as possible.
How is she doing? Any better?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I agree with all the above advice, I just wanted to add in a bit more food for thought. When the body is this depleted you need to be very slow with the food intake. You would think that shoveling food into her would be the best thing for her right now, but it's not. The large intake of nutrients and food (and waste) can be hard enough on the body that it just shuts it down.

So make sure you're going slow with the feedings and not over doing it.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, I'm really sorry to hear that. :( Even though we could see it coming it's still a great loss for you I want to send my deepest ,heartfelt sympathy to you. Every dragon is precious and I know that she was to you.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Hey all, she passed away today and will be headed to a spot on our mantel. She seemed peaceful. Went in her sleep.
I’m so sorry for your loss 😢 you did everything you could, she was in great hands. If you’d like, you could make keepsakes of her such as an imprint of her foot to keep her memory alive for years to come. May she rest in peace

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss of your girl, she was well loved.:cry:
I am glad that she was at home, with you & was at peace. She did live a long life & I'm sure she
will miss you but she will always be with you.
My condolences.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom