Shaun78

Hatchling Member
This is my new buddy Ash.
107595-8731322530.jpg
107595-403540619.jpg
Spent an hour in a class learning the basics of Tegu care. Gift from a friend

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Very pretty Argentine tegu , will grow really big in a couple of years. What sort of enclosure do you have for Ash ?

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2aj2it8f said:
Very pretty Argentine tegu , will grow really big in a couple of years. What sort of enclosure do you have for Ash ?
Well that’s interesting because the breeder told us he is a blue tegu (are those the same). Also told us they only grow to about 3 feet.

Right now he’s in a 4x2 but once he gets bigger he’ll be getting a much bigger enclosure.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, I just assumed it was a B+W , they look very similar as juveniles. They can get 3 feet or more, they are big chunky lizards so you have to watch that they don't become obese.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2xt9c4qv said:
Oh, I just assumed it was a B+W , they look very similar as juveniles. They can get 3 feet or more, they are big chunky lizards so you have to watch that they don't become obese.
He better not be a B+W because if he turns into one of those monsters we'll both be living in my Jeep LOL!!

Doing tons of homework on them now. Sounds like I'll be spending a lot of dough for a customer enclosure for him when he gets bigger.

saraho

Hatchling Member
What's a B+W? I'm a rookie to all lizards besides beardies. He's a handsome boy though.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
saraho":2jsmb1kw said:
What's a B+W? I'm a rookie to all lizards besides beardies. He's a handsome boy though.
Black and White. They are another species of Tegu and they get friggin huge. I went with a blue because they do not get as big.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
saraho":2kws3doq said:
That makes sense. I was curious. Are tegu's as friendly as beardies?
My first one so I’ll let you know but I’m told once they trust you they are like puppies

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So one thing I have learned is Tegus love to bury themselves in their substrate (I use cypress mulch to help keep the humidity up) and when ever I uncover him to take him out he huffs at me like he's going to attack me or something but its an act and once I pick him up he's gentle as can be. But we are still learning about each others so we'll see where we go.

Tegu in hiding
107595-7516158344.jpg

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey all. So I figured I'd post an updated pic of Ash (not a great pic I'll have to get a better one). He's starting to grow pretty nicely.
107595-3520326759.jpg
He's a gentle little guy but boy is he active. Unlike Volcano if I let Ash out to free roam he does not stay in one place for very long. He is a total explorer.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So the big guy had his first vet visit and he passed with flying colors. Thankfully most of the shed is off (just a bit left on the tail). Weight is good and no parasites. Picking up some new climbing stuff for his enclosure. Up next the beardie has his vet visit. Pray for me lol

107595-1832024604.jpg
107595-1616421244.jpg

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Almost six months in with this guy and I can't believe how fast he grew. Just a hair over 3 feet long (37"). And a big personality to match.
107595-1774750017.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom