Quick question

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Quick question

Postby MelloDragon » Fri May 19, 2017 5:03 am

Hello it's getting pretty hot now and I wanted to know if I can leave my beardie basket lamp off it putting the temp in the cage to 120
MelloDragon
Newbie Poster

Re: Quick question

Postby CooperDragon » Fri May 19, 2017 9:17 am

I would leave it on so it's still providing bright light. You can cut the heat output by raising it higher up or possibly dimming it using a lamp dimmer or dimming thermostat.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

Postby jayce82 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:16 pm

use an inline dimmer or get a lower wattage bulb. they have to have basking light
jayce82
Juvie Poster

Postby diamc » Fri May 19, 2017 7:01 pm

As the seasons change, it is usually necessary to make some adjustments in the bulb wattages or the distance of them. It's important to make sure you are using either a temperature gun or digital probe thermometer to get accurate readings. If you're using a round gauge (dial), those are very inaccurate & can be off 20 degrees or more. So if that's the type you're using, the basking surface temp could actually be closer to 140 degrees. In that case, you would definitely need to use a lower bulb wattage during the hotter season.

Do you still have the 2 beardies housed together?
diamc

Return to Enclosures