Dubia Breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilzn

I want to breed dubias, but atm I only have one beardie. I'm afraid to start breeding and end up having way too many.

Has this happened to anybody? Is there a way to keep them from reproducing too fast?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
How many feeders does your dragons eat? You can end up with too many, when I do I sell off the extras. You can cull out the adults to keep the breeding population lower to slow the colony.

Wilzn

Original Poster
I usually buy 15-20 a week, and feed them once a week. I don't think he'll eat much more than that, cause he' s usually done eating by then when I offer superworms.

Where do you sell them? If I need to sell some, I would probably use craigslist, don't want to deal with shipping.

One more thing, what male to female ratio do you use? And how many males/females did you buy to start?

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
So you only go through about 15-20 a week total? If that's the case, its really not worth breeding them imo unless you want another sort of a pet. I have 1 beardie and she used to eat 1300 a month as a baby but now that she is an adult, she eats probably around 20 a week so I have a huge surplus of thousands. I just sell them on Craigslist or trade them for store credit at my reptile shop and use the credit for horn worms for my beardie or rats for my snakes.

I started out buying around 80 females and got probably 500 mixed nymphs and within a year or so, I was up to around 400 adult females and tons of males as well as thousands of nymphs. I gave up trying to keep a set ratio of males to females as my colony was large enough to fill a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tote. Now I just sell or trade hundreds at a time. I recently traded out 500 adult females for $250 store credit at my reptile shop and sold off around 600 nymphs or so through Craigslist, just local meeting as I don't like to mess with shipping and the headache that can come with that.

But like I said, if you only go through around 20 a week, its not really worth it to breed them as you need to feed them, clean them and heat them. And the time it would take to start a colony from just nymphs will take a long time and buying an established colony is not cheap. Also selling them is not a high demand deal so you might end up having a lot that you just need to feed. I go through phases where I will have lots of people needing them, then a month or 2 where I will only have a couple people needing them thus why I am selling adult females to downsize my colony.

Wilzn

Original Poster
Sauzo":d70wbmhw said:
So you only go through about 15-20 a week total? If that's the case, its really not worth breeding them imo unless you want another sort of a pet. I have 1 beardie and she used to eat 1300 a month as a baby but now that she is an adult, she eats probably around 20 a week so I have a huge surplus of thousands. I just sell them on Craigslist or trade them for store credit at my reptile shop and use the credit for horn worms for my beardie or rats for my snakes.

I started out buying around 80 females and got probably 500 mixed nymphs and within a year or so, I was up to around 400 adult females and tons of males as well as thousands of nymphs. I gave up trying to keep a set ratio of males to females as my colony was large enough to fill a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tote. Now I just sell or trade hundreds at a time. I recently traded out 500 adult females for $250 store credit at my reptile shop and sold off around 600 nymphs or so through Craigslist, just local meeting as I don't like to mess with shipping and the headache that can come with that.

But like I said, if you only go through around 20 a week, its not really worth it to breed them as you need to feed them, clean them and heat them. And the time it would take to start a colony from just nymphs will take a long time and buying an established colony is not cheap. Also selling them is not a high demand deal so you might end up having a lot that you just need to feed. I go through phases where I will have lots of people needing them, then a month or 2 where I will only have a couple people needing them thus why I am selling adult females to downsize my colony.

The only reason he goes through 15-20 is because that's all I buy.

Wilzn

Original Poster
Sauzo":262d0kcr said:

Just noticed my previous posts might of been a little confusing. He goes through 15-20 in one sitting, not one week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom