Reptaid xl

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidrepti

Hatchling Member
Hey I was wondering if this stuff really works.. I have been hearing a lot of good reviews about it. Anybody ever use it for there bearded dragon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are you looking to use it for? I don't see anything in it that would be harmful but I'm skeptical about it being beneficial beyond offering hydration to a sick dragon. It contains mustard seed, olive leaf, jatoba (wood?), and clove. I'm not sure why these ingredients would help more than plain water would.

davidrepti

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It says it cures eye infection which my lizard one eye is shut a lot maybe due to strong uvb maybe. Says it will give them better appetite which he’s not been eating much and a lot of reviews people say it works.

davidrepti

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
And also I’m real hesitant about vets seems like some of them don’t know to much they and the antibiotics are strong

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For an eye infection I'd probably go with a mixture of raw/unpasteurized honey and water. Unpasteurized honey acts as an antimicrobial and seems to help heal wounds. Do you see mucous/crust around the eye? Or is it just closed. Closed eyes can indicate relaxation, blocking something out of their vision (my dragon does this when I'm bugging him), or irritation. Which UVB light are you using? Is it directly overhead? How far away is it? At proper distances and directly overhead vs shining from the side it shouldn't cause a problem.

davidrepti

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok I could try that. I looked today and there’s a tiny tiny amount of crust on one part of the eye lid. I’m using t5 reptisun 10 and it’s about maybe 12 inches away I think ever since I got that I’m thinking it’s to strong it also has the reflector so it’s pretty powerful.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's an appropriate distance for that bulb with a reflector. As long as it's set overhead it should be fine. I'd try the honey and see if it helps. You can also rinse the eye with plain saline solution to clear it up if the eye gets too crusty.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
davidrepti":32kuoouz said:
It says it cures eye infection which my lizard one eye is shut a lot maybe due to strong uvb maybe. Says it will give them better appetite which he’s not been eating much and a lot of reviews people say it works.

Try manuka honey (ACTIVON medihoney) mixed with equal parts of water. I've had a very good result with my latest rescue (who was a injured and very sick and blind) wild water skink , see my thread for what I've been doing and how I've been treating her eyes and lacerations (believed to be from an accidental encounter with a whippersnipper).
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=238063

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":2hfox2ww said:
For an eye infection I'd probably go with a mixture of raw/unpasteurized honey and water. Unpasteurized honey acts as an antimicrobial and seems to help heal wounds. Do you see mucous/crust around the eye? Or is it just closed. Closed eyes can indicate relaxation, blocking something out of their vision (my dragon does this when I'm bugging him), or irritation. Which UVB light are you using? Is it directly overhead? How far away is it? At proper distances and directly overhead vs shining from the side it shouldn't cause a problem.

I've never heard of the stuff , so looked it up, it has 21% v/v grain alcohol , I expect that will really sting if applied to the lizard's eyes.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Reptaid orally is not going to help an eye problem at all...I would buy a normal saline eye drop, nothing else added for red eye or allergies, just a regular old bottle of saline eye drops, and put them in his eye twice a day to wash it out, then apply the diluted raw, unfiltered honey or the makuna honey, either will due. He probably has an irritation from something getting in it, or possibly even an infection, but either way Reptaid is not going to do anything at all...

Your UVB tube is a good one and at an appropriate distance, and is not the cause of the issue. I've been using Reptisun 10.0 T5HO tubes with metal reflectors in the fixtures for years, mounted at a distance of 11" away, and never had any eye issue, and I've never heard of that light causing any issues at all like this.

Have you recently changed his Basking Bulb out? It's not a coil bulb or any type of colored basking bulb is it, like blue or red? Some of the Reptile Specialty basking bulbs that you buy at pet shops actually cause eye issues and even photoconjunctivitis...

davidrepti

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yea sounds a bit fishy to me but there’s tons of good reviews on amazon about this product!! And yes I have changed my basking bulb recently and no it’s not those red or blue light garbage that nobody buys those are for nighttime anyways..jeez what you play me for a fool

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
davidrepti":3ksjhdar said:
Yea sounds a bit fishy to me but there’s tons of good reviews on amazon about this product!! And yes I have changed my basking bulb recently and no it’s not those red or blue light garbage that nobody buys those are for nighttime anyways..jeez what you play me for a fool

Ah no, many, many people use "Infrared" Basking Bulbs and "Blue Daytime" Bulbs, as well as bright white"coil" shaped bulbs, which cause photoconjunctivitis commonly, as daily Basking Bulbs my friend...It's so common that we have to ask buddy... You'd think people wouldn't do this, but how can you blame them when the most popular manufacturers of Reptile products label them as being "Basking" or "Daylight" bulbs for bearded dragons?

And they shouldn't be used for "nighttime" either, not for a dragon...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
davidrepti":3d9r1afh said:

Sorry , but unless the reviews are published in a Herping mag and made by someone who is NOT connected in anyway to the company / brand/ product , or on board like this , then they aren't worth the electrons that they are made up of on the screen, ie they are ficticious made up by the company who "makes the stuff" or by an advertising agency AND NOT TO BE TRUSTED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom