Weird tail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i got my beardie about 13 days ago and i have realized there is something weird with his tail. He lets me touch it and isnt in any pain and i know nothing has happened to it. he eats, poops and loves being held all normally.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, and welcome...

Can you please post a photo of your new beardie and his tail, so we can see what you're talking about? Just go to "User Image Uploader" in the top bar, and upload the photos you want to post to your account one at a time, then come back to this post and click "Post a Reply", and in the message box click the "XIMG" button and then choose each photo you want to insert.

How old is your new Dragon? It's not unusual for dragons that come from a pet shop or a breeder that kept multiple dragons together to have tail nips from their siblings...

Alexmc2003

Original Poster
Hi! I got my beardie about 13 days ago and i have noticed over the past week that the tip of his tail looks a little weird? I know in the picture it looks as if he has tail rot but i can assure its just the shadow from his basking spot. He/she eats, sleeps, poops normally and lovesss being held. His tail doesnt bother him if touched at all. Can someone tell me if i should be worried?
92100-9851310323.jpg

Also forgot to add that his tail looks so perfect from the top and the indents are only noticible from the underneath

Alexmc2003

Original Poster
EllenD said:
Hello, and welcome...

Can you please post a photo of your new beardie and his tail, so we can see what you're talking about? Just go to "User Image Uploader" in the top bar, and upload the photos you want to post to your account one at a time, then come back to this post and click "Post a Reply", and in the message box click the "XIMG" button and then choose each photo you want to insert.

How old is your new Dragon? It's not unusual for dragons that come from a pet shop or a breeder that kept multiple dragons together to have tail nips from their siblings...[i just posted a new post including the picture on my account im not sure if you can find it by clicking on my name.]

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I can't really see the color, scales, or any detail on his tail from that photo, but if you're talking only about the little "kink" towards the end of his tail, it's not a problem as long as there's no open-wounds anywhere on his tail. It's not uncommon for them to have a kink or multiple kinks in their tails, it's either from an old injury that has healed (like a bite from a sibling or from the breeder or prior owner shutting their tail in a tank door or similar), or depending on the dragon's age, it could also be indicative of the start of a Calcium Deficiency starting...How old is your new Dragon? If he's a baby or young juvenile, then I'd say it's most likely an healed injury from a bite or a door, and though it will always be kinked, it's not an issue. However, if you got him from his "first owner" and he's an older dragon, then you want to make sure that you've got him under a very strong, adequate UVB tube (hopefully a long UVb tube, at least 18" long, that is at least a 10% UVB tube, that is mounted within the correct distance of his basking spot/platform), that you keep both his bright-white colored basking bulb and his UVb tube on every day for at least 13-14 hours, and that you're dusting his live insects in a Reptile-Grade, Phosphorus-Free Calcium powder 5 days a week, and also in a Reptile-Grade Multivitamin powder 3 times a week.

The main way of preventing Calcium Deficiency and MBD in a Desert Reptile is having them under a very strong, intense, adequate UVB tube for at least 13-14 hours every single day, and properly dusting their live insects in calcium and multivitamin powders. However, without an adequate, strong UVB tube that is on long enough each day, it doesn't matter how much calcium or multivitamin you give him, as his body cannot absorb nor process/use any vitamins or minerals, including calcium, without the proper UVB and UVA light...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Does the tail feel flexible or hard/stiff to the touch, can you gently curl it up? There is a
small amount of flexibility to their tails, especially the tips. Could the tail be getting ready
to shed possibly?
As EllenD stated, there are a lot of them that do have small kinks or bends in the ends of their
tails from previous injuries, or problems shedding, etc that hasn't caused any harm at all.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom