UVB and running length of tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is it a good idea to have the UVB the same length of tank? And what happens if it is the same ? What are the behavior issues if any?
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It really depends on how you have the lighting and "furniture" configured. The goal is to create a gradient so a dragon has options. They will move around a lot over the course of the day and choose different temps and different UVB exposures. If you have a UVB tube running the whole length of the tank, it's a good idea to set it forward or backward a bit so you can create a gradient along the depth of the tank. I have mine set up this way. It's also good to provide some shade areas using hides or wood branches etc. The gradient is sometimes easier to establish using a UVB light that is shorter but it can be done either way. Sometimes they want 3-6 UVI to bask under, sometimes they'll sit to the side a bit and get 1 UVI, sometimes they'll want heat but no UVB exposure, etc.

I like to suggest a minimum length of about 24'' so that the spread of UVB is long enough to allow an adult dragon to bask evenly. I suggest the same for basking area temp zones. If they can bask evenly and can move away from the high heat and high UVB as they wish, then they should be in good shape.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thanks for answering that question----- I have heard it was not good as they cant get away from it - so basically its for more experience owners that would be able to do this --- some people dont even get that they are supposed to even have a UVB --- :shock: ----
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah first things first, get a UVB light lol :lol: *sigh*. This is how I have mine set up. Darwin can move away from the bulb pretty easily if he wants to and the UVI along the back wall is less than 1. The hides and driftwood produce areas with no UVB exposure and cooler temps. This is not a perfect example by any means, just one possible way of configuring it and an example of how to set a UVB light forward in the tank to create a gradient along the depth.

This is with his usual 34'' T5.
76248-4037503768.jpg

And here's what it looks like with a smaller (24'') T5:
76248-9137766766.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There is really no one size fits all :)

You do want to have a gradient of uv just like you do with heat, but that can be achieved multiple ways.

For instance If you have a tall tank and a tall basking surface, a full length tube could still give you very low levels at the ground level and good levels high up on the basking surface. Or if you had s really deep tank and the bulb spanned the whole length but was up against the back wall, the front of the tank could have a gradient from high to low.

It's just easiest to recommend 3/4 of the tank for the uv as it's a good generalization for most setups. With more detail though (such as the examples I gave) multiple different setups can achieve the same goal of uv gradient.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
So mine is set up w/ UVB in front of tank 24" and his basking area is in back of tank w/ a gradient temp - he can sit in multiple places for different heat temps-- the UVB he can sit on top of rock or lean on it sitting up like he normally does-- I am thinking it must be a good set up as he seems healthy other than the fact he eats very little vegies-- which is stubborness --?
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Some guidance here :
optimal_stylised_plan_view_layout_of_lights.png

this is generally considered the optimal setup , tube no longer than 3/4 the length of the tank.

If it's like this
poor-arrange-when-using-a-MVB-and-T8-UVB-or-T5-HO-UVB.png

Eg tank 24"H x 26"D (front to back)
Penetration-distances-for-a-24-inch-high-x-26-inch-deep-tank-for.png

A picture says a 1000 words and shows everything succinctly and clearly.

It is likely the UV spread from the end of the T5HO will create a low UV zone (perhaps even a zone at very close to zero UV). If the UV tube is more than 12 inches from the cold end of the tank , the UV in the last 8 inches will be very low (near zero). This can be confirmed by looking at the iso-irradiance charts published here http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttubereflectortests.htm
that look like this :
iso-irradiance-tubes.png

If you are stuck with a full length tube, the best option for now is to place it and it's reflector hood in the back top corner and adjust the angle of the dangle so it's "pointing" so the lope of the tube's iso-irradiance UV flux field is directed towards the basking spot while still pointing at the floor of the tank .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom