BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Fork out the dough sir!
7b_1.jpg

https://phantomdragonsinc.com/male-high-content-barbata-hybrid-mhchb2-1-2020

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, but you KNOW I was looking for a P. vitticeps--not (high content) P. barbata. :p
Besides, the property is currently occupied by a particularly disagreeable tenant who--word has it--abhors roommates. :lol:

I also read the details:
This animal will not make a good pet as he is a bit flighty and will stress out if over-handled.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Well technically, he is a vitticeps with a high content of barbata in him. Dad was half barbata mom is an eighth... So... he's mainly vitticeps lol :)

MrSpectrum":2pmg4o1g said:
I also read the details:
This animal will not make a good pet as he is a bit flighty and will stress out if over-handled.
Well them wild boys don't want no stinkn' humans messin' with em. :mrgreen:

I've actually seen him say this about a lot of his barbata hybrids. Mainly the ones that are a quarter or more.

But you gotta admit, he at least looks the part for the wild type :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I've never been drunk enough to spend that kinda money on a critter that looks kinda sick to me....Black Beard.... Scrawny and Undersized for its age!!!! Seen healthier Dragons at Petsmart, LOL!!!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Barbatas and high content barbata vitticeps often have a more slender and long look to them than pure vitticeps. I'm sure it's actually very healthy. Josh D has quite a reputation for healthy animals and humane breeding practices.

-Brandon

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
claudiusx":2lclbhhf said:
Barbatas and high content barbata vitticeps often have a more slender and long look to them than pure vitticeps. I'm sure it's actually very healthy. Josh D has quite a reputation for healthy animals and humane breeding practices.

-Brandon
But, I fail to see where that dragon is worth 700.00 , no way shape or form.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
But lets be honest, typically the only people wanting to buy high content barbata vitticeps are people buying them with the intention of breeding them, or adding them to an existing breeding project for genetic diversity and strength.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Gormagon":1t2c216c said:
claudiusx":1t2c216c said:

-Brandon
But, I fail to see where that dragon is worth 700.00 , no way shape or form.

Well, find one cheaper. You won't. And that's how you'll realize it's worth :)

Remember, it's illegal to import barbatas. It's questionable how they got into the states in the first place. The amount of them being bred is grossly undersized for the demand they have. Josh's barbata mixes typically go quite quick actually. So there definitely is a market for them.

I'm with you though, they don't do much for me from a collector or pet standpoint. However, if I were trying to be a big time breeder, and I was interested in strengthening my bloodlines, I'd be all over a 700$ high content like this.

Different strokes for different folks.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
I agree with you both. Lol!
I'd never spend that but I absolutely see spending that and more with the intentions of strengthing the bloodlines and genetics. Because of domestication and inbreeding, most animals can become genetically weak. Glad someone can afford/desire to do that, will help the beardie bloodline in the future IMO.
Guess it just depends on WHY you would buy that Dragon.
-Dee

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I spent 70.00 on a dragon that doesn't like to be handled (mostly my fault though) but, I still love little Charlie anyway. I doen't think I could justify buying one for 10x that and, have the same issue, LOL!!! I do not intend nor do I ever want to breed dragons. I just want to enjoy the ones I have.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":3i0swqv4 said:
Remember, it's illegal to import barbatas.
I know it's illegal to export them from Australia; I didn't know it was illegal to import them here.

It gets me that prices can vary hundreds of $$ for babies from the same clutch.

But that's been part of my complaint right along. Many breeders aren't breeding for strength of their lines; they're breeding designer dragons for what will bring the mo$t. There's no breeding registry, and I'd bet if you asked to see breeding books, some breeders would say, "What's that?"

Especially when some of these prices are going as high as for pedigreed dogs. :shock:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, definitely illegal both ways, really!
Just a question, how did Josh D obtain them in the first place? Just wondering. I have
been looking for a pure barbata for years, but, that wont happen. They were not illegal
to export from Australia in the early 80's which is when a few came into the US. So that
is how some of the genetics got infiltrated, from some of the earlier dragons.

Tracie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Do you know if it's only illegal to import from OZ, or from anywhere (Europe, Canada, S.A., etc.)?

That would make it really tough on people relocating who wanted to bring their pets. :(

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I'm not sure where Josh got his original lines from. All I do know is that he has had them for years, and only recently started selling hybrids and high content hybrids. He's pretty well known for developing bloodlines and waiting years before releasing so that he can get the bloodlines strong.

I'm sure there was inbreeding in the beginning. Unless he somehow had his hands on multiple fresh bloodlines. And I guarantee he paid a pretty penny for those bloodlines back then.

I quite would like to know more about his breeding practices and his knowledge on beardie genetics. But he tends to be quite secretive about it it seems.

Anyways, still fun to sit back and window shop his dragons lol.

I saw one that looks quite a bit like Kiki, he labeled as a "b" grade phantom stripe which he was selling for 900 bucks.... I bought Kiki on a black friday deal and I'm pretty sure he labeled her as "A" grade. Of course these grades are his own interpretations and really don't mean anything, but it at least makes me feel like I got a good deal on Kiki lol.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":3232itnj said:
I bought Kiki on a black friday deal and I'm pretty sure he labeled her as "A" grade. Of course these grades are his own interpretations and really don't mean anything, but it at least makes me feel like I got a good deal on Kiki lol.
It's a good thing we all know we're talking about lizards, and not mail-order brides... :laughhard:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom