Baths...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shannonc

Hatchling Member
I was told once we bring Mushu home that we should not handle him for 4-5 days. So do I just not give him a bath first week cause I know that day about 3x a week

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Shannonc":14fo4br1 said:
I was told once we bring Mushu home that we should not handle him for 4-5 days. So do I just not give him a bath first week cause I know that day about 3x a week

Some hatchlings are great with being handled from the getgo, others are skittish / scared and need time to learn to trust their human(s).
Peppa was a snuggler and real people lizard from the moment my wife chose her at the breeder's (I suspect the breeder was really fond of her and handled her lots as she is a very pretty beardie), her brother Toothless was very skittish (in that he didn't like being picked up/grabbed when in his tub) , and he was a real live wire too (hard pressed to get him to sit still for a few minute to handfeed him his 2 or 3 bonding crickets each day).
Is OK to handle the new beardie but keep it to a minimum to start off , only handling him when moving him to spot clean , or to handfeed him (great way to form a strong trusting bond with a lizard - they quickly learn to associate the hand with yummy insects and soon learn they trust you).

It is true that your new spikey child will be unsettled and stressed for about week as a result of the changes he's experiencing -
>> new people
>> new tank and furnature inside
>> by himself likely for the first time
>> new sites and sounds
>> new foods
>> different feeding schedule
>> different daily schedule (lights and family).
Can take about a week for lizard to adjust and settle.

About baths - for a beardie they are NOT NECESSARY , UNLESS
>>> it's soiled itself
>>> it's got a bit of stubborn shed to loosen and shift
>>> it's impacted (a bath with tummy rubbing can help move the blockage)
>>> it's very hot and needs a cool down
>>> it's got an open wound and needs a betadiene soak to help fight infection of the wound.

No they will not absorb water through the skin or via the clioata (bum) , only way a bath will hydrate a beardie is if it drinks some of the bath water.

Can you post some photos of the new spikey child and his tank ?
How old is he ?
How heavy is he ?

I suggest you start weighing him on weekly basis (starting TODAY) and charting his growth.

I also think it's very wise to keep a log book detailing details of his behaviours, when he poos (and a brief description of the poos) , the times you feed him and exactly what you he eats each meal and other general behavioural things as they happen (could be very helpful if you need to tell the vet about these if he gets sick). I record all these in a EXCEL spreadsheet and have been doing this for all my pet lizards since Lucky , so for 8 years or so.
Is a great memory jolter too.

Can you also advise us how you have him set up ie
>> bedding
>> tank size (L x W x H) and general construction (including solid or mesh top)
>> UV lighting (rating in %UVB, Watts, type = coil, T8 tube w/ or w/out reflector, T5 tube w/ or w/out reflector or MVB and distance from basking spot)
>> basking light (type , is it coloured , wattage)
DAYTIME conditions
>> basking spot temp and how you measured it
>> warm zone temp and how you measured it
>> cool zone temp and how you measured it
>> what is your feeding schedule and what are you feeding him per meal
>> what is your lighting schedule (when on ? off ?)
>> are you dusting his bugs (what and when ?)
>> does he have a hide ?
NIGHTIME conditions
>> how cold does it get in the room where the beardie's tanks is ?
>> do you have night night time tank heating ? what is it ( heat pad ? heat tracing ? colour IR globe ? CHE ? )
>> and what temp do you try to keep the tank at overnight ?

All these details will us determine what you need to change or do to give your new spikey child the very best start in life and to keep him happy , active and healthy and thriving.

Shannonc

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Very helpful info. We actually picked him out Sunday but won't be bringing him home till Thursday we are still setting up his tank. I did post a pic of him under the thread "I got one" I will for sure post once we get him home some pics. We got a large tank for him. The one he was in at store was small and he was alone. No rocks or logs. His new tank will be a whole lot different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom