Leg no strength

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi, is gout suspected? Or I'm not sure did I sprain his leg, now more obvious is his left leg and still observing. The nearest reptile vet is an hour drive away, but my husband is on block leave unable to send in this week. Any home treatment I can provide if it's a gout or sprain?

Also, our vet told us in whole Malaysia only 1 educational hospital able to perform blood test for him and it is 4 hours drive away. That's the only way can sure is it a gout or sprain right?

For now we less suspect MBD bcoz we did an x-ray on 6 Dec 2023, after that we try our best to give him enough calcium and chasing him with UVB tube, would appreciate any advice on this.

Video link

Attachments

• IMG-20231206-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20231206-WA0002.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG-20231206-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20231206-WA0003.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 49

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi, is gout suspected? Or I'm not sure did I sprain his leg, now more obvious is his left leg and still observing. The nearest reptile vet is an hour drive away, but my husband is on block leave unable to send in this week. Any home treatment I can provide if it's a gout or sprain?

Also, our vet told us in whole Malaysia only 1 educational hospital able to perform blood test for him and it is 4 hours drive away. That's the only way can sure is it a gout or sprain right?

For now we less suspect MBD bcoz we did an x-ray on 6 Dec 2023, after that we try our best to give him enough calcium and chasing him with UVB tube, would appreciate any advice on this.

Video link
Do you have a hammock in the tank? Blood work would need to be taken for gout test- uric acid levels-- what are you feeding for staple insect? Is the leg sore to touch? Please post pics of the leg

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No hammock in tank. He don't like greens so we can only feed him mostly dubias and sometimes BSFL, and force eat some mustard and cactus everyday that's all. Soaking every other day. Yes he sometimes react when I touch the leg gently but not everytime but I can see from his face he is uncomfortable ady.
Do you have a hammock in the tank? Blood work would need to be taken for gout test- uric acid levels-- what are you feeding for staple insect? Is the leg sore to touch? Please post pics of the leg

Attachments

• IMG_20240212_100536.jpg
    IMG_20240212_100536.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 42

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a hard call. Could he have fallen from something to hurt his leg? I agree, a blood test to
see what his uric acid levels are would help eliminate the possibility of gout. To be proactive, for
gout, you can get some black or tart cherry juice extract to help out his kidneys.
If you think it might be a sprain, you can try to limit his movement if possible. Lower his basking
spot so he wont have to climb as much & hurt himself more.
How long has this been going on for now?
Perhaps you can get some liquid calcium to help, in case he may have some bone issues goingg
on, if you can get it there. You are in Malaysia?

Tracie

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

That is a hard call. Could he have fallen from something to hurt his leg? I agree, a blood test to
see what his uric acid levels are would help eliminate the possibility of gout. To be proactive, for
gout, you can get some black or tart cherry juice extract to help out his kidneys.
If you think it might be a sprain, you can try to limit his movement if possible. Lower his basking
spot so he wont have to climb as much & hurt himself more.
How long has this been going on for now?
Perhaps you can get some liquid calcium to help, in case he may have some bone issues goingg
on, if you can get it there. You are in Malaysia?

Tracie
Hi Tracie,

Honestly I doubt he has fallen and sprained his ankle coz his tank doesn't have anything to climb except for a platform, beside it are stacked charcoal bags as staircase for up and down and he is used to it ady.

I'm not trying hard to limit his move yet but okay I'll do that from now, and turn off the basking light near him. It started since yesterday morning Malaysia time.

I went out to look for cherries just now but only able to get this tasmanian cherry (attached pic) but it is sweet not sour as in tart cherries, would it help?

But I will still order this tart cherry juice (link). May I know how much I should give him per day?

For calcium we're giving powder everyday, do you mean to completely switch to liquid calcium? I have Exo Terra liquid calcium, the only liquid calcium we can get here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024_0212_205045.jpg
    Screenshot_2024_0212_205045.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 32

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, the tart cherry juice extract would be perfect. You can start by giving 1ml daily. If there is
anything like gout or pre-gout symptoms going on the extract should start to help flush out the
kidneys.
Do you have a label for the Exoterra liquid calcium you could post just so I can see what exactly
is in it?
How is he doing today, any improvements?
I know, it is very difficult to limit their movements, that is for sure! Do your best right now & be
sure the lighting is adjusted so his UVB exposure & temperatures are correct.

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

Yes, the tart cherry juice extract would be perfect. You can start by giving 1ml daily. If there is
anything like gout or pre-gout symptoms going on the extract should start to help flush out the
kidneys.
Do you have a label for the Exoterra liquid calcium you could post just so I can see what exactly
is in it?
How is he doing today, any improvements?
I know, it is very difficult to limit their movements, that is for sure! Do your best right now & be
sure the lighting is adjusted so his UVB exposure & temperatures are correct.

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

Hi Tracie,

Okay will start giving the tart cherry juice once I receive it.

Sure I attach the Exo Terra liquid calcium label here. I should completely switch to this liquid calcium? If yes how much should I give per day? But I think it is without D3.

His movement still lesser than usual today so I didn't get a chance to see how he walks today (focus on working although at home). But when I try touch the leg gently today he seems doesn't react (like no pain), and he can more bend the leg today, as compared to last few days he just let the leg hanging without any strength. However the swollen seems almost the same to me.

For temperature I can't make much adjustment to lower due to Malaysia temp around 30C, and I did turn on Exo Terra basking light 50w, which the basking area can reach 38C, some times he will go nearer. Despite the hot temp here he still need night light at night, got few times we forgot to switch it on, when we switch on he immediately move to under it and bumping.

For UVB he also does not adjust himself, I need to chase him with the "moving uvb tube" we design, wherever he goes we will move the tube above him.

Attachments

• IMG_20230520_000958.jpg
    IMG_20230520_000958.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20230520_000941.jpg
    IMG_20230520_000941.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 39

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi Tracie,

Okay will start giving the tart cherry juice once I receive it.

Sure I attach the Exo Terra liquid calcium label here. I should completely switch to this liquid calcium? If yes how much should I give per day? But I think it is without D3.

His movement still lesser than usual today so I didn't get a chance to see how he walks today (focus on working although at home). But when I try touch the leg gently today he seems doesn't react (like no pain), and he can more bend the leg today, as compared to last few days he just let the leg hanging without any strength. However the swollen seems almost the same to me.

For temperature I can't make much adjustment to lower due to Malaysia temp around 30C, and I did turn on Exo Terra basking light 50w, which the basking area can reach 38C, some times he will go nearer. Despite the hot temp here he still need night light at night, got few times we forgot to switch it on, when we switch on he immediately move to under it and bumping.

For UVB he also does not adjust himself, I need to chase him with the "moving uvb tube" we design, wherever he goes we will move the tube above him.
What is the brand and bulb of the UVB? He should sit under that voluntarily

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for posting the picture of the label.
Do you mean the T5 Reptisun High Output tube bulb?
If you are using a high output UVB tube & it is strong you wont really need any D3. How is he
doing today? Were you able to get the tart cherry juice ordered?
How much of the calcium are you using? It states 8.1% so that would be a concentrated solution of 81mg/ml so that makes it hard to control the amount given unless you actually dose it according to your dragon's weight. What is the weight of your dragon & I can dose that for you to be sure he is getting enough for his weight.
Sometimes just adding a drop or two into the drinking water isn't enough especially if the dragon doesn't routinely drink out of the water dish.

Tracie

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Is your tank a low height meaning like 16"?
I can't be bothered too much with the tank height coz anyhow he will go to corner or side of the tank to hide from the light (no UVB). So what I do is chasing him with the tube including when he is sleeping during day time. But I just measured my tank height is 18"

Attachments

• IMG_20240215_075146.jpg
    IMG_20240215_075146.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 37

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

Thanks for posting the picture of the label.
Do you mean the T5 Reptisun High Output tube bulb?
If you are using a high output UVB tube & it is strong you wont really need any D3. How is he
doing today? Were you able to get the tart cherry juice ordered?
How much of the calcium are you using? It states 8.1% so that would be a concentrated solution of 81mg/ml so that makes it hard to control the amount given unless you actually dose it according to your dragon's weight. What is the weight of your dragon & I can dose that for you to be sure he is getting enough for his weight.
Sometimes just adding a drop or two into the drinking water isn't enough especially if the dragon doesn't routinely drink out of the water dish.

Tracie
Sorry I always thought the Reptisun T8 10.0 is also HO turns out it is not .... No I'm using T8, am searching for T5 and hood, it is almost impossible to get in my country, in my country everyone just using Exo Terra UVB coil bulb

If using T8 should I still switch to this liquid calcium that without D3? Actually now we only give powder no use this liquid calcium, coz we unsure the dosage worried give too less or too much. Timber is asleep now I will weigh him tomorrow morning and let you know asap.

The tart juice just being posted today coz we just finished Chinese New Year holidays, so still have to wait few days to arrive.

Today almost the same as yesterday, I dare not make him walk yet worried might make it worse. Here is the pic of today.

Attachments

• IMG_20240215_184050.jpg
    IMG_20240215_184050.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I can't be bothered too much with the tank height coz anyhow he will go to corner or side of the tank to hide from the light (no UVB). So what I do is chasing him with the tube including when he is sleeping during day time. But I just measured my tank height is 18"
Ok for the T 8 the 6 inches is good but definitely get the T 5 10.0 --- your distance is going to change for that bulb it will go to 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- dragons dont always sit under the UVB they know when they need the UVB -- and dont always sit under it --- are you changing the T 8 bulb out every 5 months or so? They have a expiration date of 6 months -- Tracie can advise on the calcium issue

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok for the T 8 the 6 inches is good but definitely get the T 5 10.0 --- your distance is going to change for that bulb it will go to 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- dragons dont always sit under the UVB they know when they need the UVB -- and dont always sit under it --- are you changing the T 8 bulb out every 5 months or so? They have a expiration date of 6 months -- Tracie can advise on the calcium issue
Sure once I found the T5 will adjust the distance again. Not for my dragon he doesn't know he needs UVB he just always hiding. Yes am changing the T8 every 6 months now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom