Leg no strength

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi, is gout suspected? Or I'm not sure did I sprain his leg, now more obvious is his left leg and still observing. The nearest reptile vet is an hour drive away, but my husband is on block leave unable to send in this week. Any home treatment I can provide if it's a gout or sprain?

Also, our vet told us in whole Malaysia only 1 educational hospital able to perform blood test for him and it is 4 hours drive away. That's the only way can sure is it a gout or sprain right?

For now we less suspect MBD bcoz we did an x-ray on 6 Dec 2023, after that we try our best to give him enough calcium and chasing him with UVB tube, would appreciate any advice on this.

Video link

Attachments

• IMG-20231206-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20231206-WA0002.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG-20231206-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20231206-WA0003.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 49

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great you have gotten your Reptisun 10 T5 tube bulb. I hope your dragon likes it. You should
see some improvement with better lighting. I agree, a 10-12 inch distance would be perfectly safe, also.

Tracie

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

That's great you have gotten your Reptisun 10 T5 tube bulb. I hope your dragon likes it. You should
see some improvement with better lighting. I agree, a 10-12 inch distance would be perfectly safe, also.

Tracie

He doesn't seem to like it though, which I have expected because he only love hiding in dark, especially T5 is brighter than T8, you see he rather stay at the basking side than at the T5 side.

But I will still try to make the T5 side not too hot, because T5 is also hotter than T8 and Malaysia weather is hot.

Can you see the small white fan on top of the tank? Can dragon actually blow fan? Because the last time I tried the fan, his mouth always leaking of saliva, so I'm not sure is it due to the fan so dare not use it. If I on the fan, the temperature can come down from 31.6°C to 30.5°C which is quite a lot and closer to the recommended cold side temperature.

Attachments

• IMG_20240312_161152.jpg
    IMG_20240312_161152.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 23

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He doesn't like the T5 as much as the T8? There shouldn't be any difference in temperatures between
them but just overall brightness. What are the basking temperatures?
The cooler side temps really should come down to around to 26-28C so there is a variance in temperature
in case he needs to cool down.
You could place a fan in the room if needed. I'm not sure if he needs a fan right on him to blow. If you have
it on or inside of his tank, make sure it isn't blowing directly on him.
How is his appetite doing?

Tracie

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

He doesn't like the T5 as much as the T8? There shouldn't be any difference in temperatures between
them but just overall brightness. What are the basking temperatures?
The cooler side temps really should come down to around to 26-28C so there is a variance in temperature
in case he needs to cool down.
You could place a fan in the room if needed. I'm not sure if he needs a fan right on him to blow. If you have
it on or inside of his tank, make sure it isn't blowing directly on him.
How is his appetite doing?

Tracie
He was trying to get away from the T5 at first, but now he started to stay longer under it, I think he might need some times to get used to it, we're still trying.

For temperature I really do not have anyway to further bring it down due to Malaysia hot weather, I can't afford to open aircon all day for him. And we somehow feel like he is used to our local temperature and can't take too cold, when give him cold he will leaking saliva. For examples a few cold nights around 28°C, I wake up in the midnight and open night light for him he will immediately go under and pumping to absorb heat. Now what he does to lower temperature is lying on the floor, when he do so he always look super comfy hands and legs stretched and relax.

Yes the fan is quite close to him, I will adjust the height first and try again. His appetite is not bad, but we think he might have parasites now coz his poo is watery, need to find a date to bring the poo to vet checking.

He is shedding at many parts of his body now, normally he just shed one or two parts at the same time. Does shedding mean he is getting more enough calcium?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope he is getting used to the new T5 UVB light, it
is a great light.
Sure, no problem, the nighttime temperatures sound
fine then & it sounds like he is happy with his overall
surroundings right now.
He could just be well hydrated which can cause a more
watery stool, but it's fine to double check & get a fecal
done on him too.
Shedding is great, it just means he is healthy & is either growing or just sloughing off his skin/scales which is very normal. Once they become adults, they will usually
shed in patches & not the entire body at the same time. I would say should be getting adequate calcium if he is shedding & seems to be healthy!

Keep us posted on how he is doing.
Tracie

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

I hope he is getting used to the new T5 UVB light, it
is a great light.
Sure, no problem, the nighttime temperatures sound
fine then & it sounds like he is happy with his overall
surroundings right now.
He could just be well hydrated which can cause a more
watery stool, but it's fine to double check & get a fecal
done on him too.
Shedding is great, it just means he is healthy & is either growing or just sloughing off his skin/scales which is very normal. Once they become adults, they will usually
shed in patches & not the entire body at the same time. I would say should be getting adequate calcium if he is shedding & seems to be healthy!

Keep us posted on how he is doing.
Tracie
Yes he is getting used to the T5 and stay under it more often, hope he will feel the benefits of it soon.

For the stool, we have tried not giving him cactus and even tried not giving water for 1-2 days but the stool still watery, it has been few weeks so we think want let the vet check.

Can I have one more question here? Coz my mum bought a kabocha squash thinking it is acorn squash. May I know how many days can he eat kabocha squash per week? Or can it be staple, hopefully?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope he continues to improve. The T5 should greatly help him out!
A fecal exam/check can definitely help determine if his worm or parasite levels are higher than they
should be.
Absolutely, you can ask as many questions as you would like to! Acorn squash & butternut squash
both are very good as a staple for them. You can gently steam it & dice it into tiny pieces or you an
grate it into fine pieces raw & serve that way.

Tracie

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

I hope he continues to improve. The T5 should greatly help him out!
A fecal exam/check can definitely help determine if his worm or parasite levels are higher than they
should be.
Absolutely, you can ask as many questions as you would like to! Acorn squash & butternut squash
both are very good as a staple for them. You can gently steam it & dice it into tiny pieces or you an
grate it into fine pieces raw & serve that way.

Tracie
Hi just an update, today we visited vet after checking stool under microscope vet says there are parasites, big size one, she has prescribed antiobiotic to get rid of them. Vet say Timber got this same parasite before but this is unavoidable and recommend to do deworming every 3 months.

For the butternut squash, we have tried steam and dice but he doesn't like that much. Is it okay if we continue to give raw in slices? He prefer like that. (no chance for kabocha squash, he treats it like other food that he doesn't like -> doesn't exist and nothing there 😅)

One more question, is it okay if we let him sleep on sand at night? Because we notice he likes to dig before go to sleep, so we figure he likes to sleep on sand.

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi, is it okay if we let bearded dragon sleep on sand at night? Because we notice he likes to dig before go to sleep, so we figure he likes to sleep on sand but we worried he might breathe in the sand will he?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did you remember the name of the medication the vet gave to him for the parasites?
Deworming every few months can be helpful,
Sure, you can give the squash raw, just mince it in very small pieces for him. At least
he likes it that way!
Did you make a sandbox for him, literally? As long as he doesn't ingest it, a little sleeping
sand box should be ok. Are you using a washed & sifted sand?

Tracie

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

Did you remember the name of the medication the vet gave to him for the parasites?
Deworming every few months can be helpful,
Sure, you can give the squash raw, just mince it in very small pieces for him. At least
he likes it that way!
Did you make a sandbox for him, literally? As long as he doesn't ingest it, a little sleeping
sand box should be ok. Are you using a washed & sifted sand?

Tracie
Sorry I didn't ask for the antibiotic and parasites name. But he seems very uncomfortable by taking the medicine, even after stopped for 4 days, because he keeps escape from the uvb

I can't mince the squash because he doesn't know how to eat that way, he only know take the food by licking with tongue, he doesn't really know how to take food by mouth. So what we do is we slice it into very thin slices and feed him when he open mouth.

Ya I made a sand box and put in the tank. I did sift it before but I never wash. To be on the safe side I think I'm goin to buy a new pack, should I wash it with water?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Not a problem. I'm sure that he just doesn't like the taste of the medicine, a lot of them are very bitter.
That is ok, if he is used to eating with you feeding him that way you can definitely continue doing so
right now.
The playsand should be fine. Sometimes it is very dusty but a lot of times you can get it already washed
& sifted. Does he like it thus far?

Tracie

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

Not a problem. I'm sure that he just doesn't like the taste of the medicine, a lot of them are very bitter.
That is ok, if he is used to eating with you feeding him that way you can definitely continue doing so
right now.
The playsand should be fine. Sometimes it is very dusty but a lot of times you can get it already washed
& sifted. Does he like it thus far?

Tracie
The med has been stopped for 5 days now he still looks uncomfortable, we're still observing. He loves the sand, dig hard in it 😄

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Great that he is off of the medication for now, it usually makes them feel bad for a few days following. They do love digging in sand or dirt.
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi, may I check is crickets actually safe for dragon? Coz I seem read somewhere that it causes parasites. But his next batch of dubias won't arrive in another 1+ week, we're run out of bugs! Only left some BSFL (the flies not the worms), so am thinking can we get him some crickets first.

Also may I know is this a recommended probiotic brand? Is it good for my dragon?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024_0410_113612.jpg
    Screenshot_2024_0410_113612.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom