Where can I buy Dubias in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serrameth

anyone have any other info on this topic? i would like to know as well.. and if not what is a good alternative to breeding dubias for Canadian residence

RiggerDad

I was told dubias are illegal in canada... invasive species blah blah blah. I too am curious about an alternative food source in canada. Think breeding grasshoppers would be ideal??

mich

Hatchling Member
I was also told they are illegal, apparently from time to time you can buy them at expos as "beetles" haha Try starting a super worm colony, it will take awhile to get going but VERY easy, never noisy or stinky, they live forever and don't escape :D

invasive species in Canada? Isn't Canada suppose to be colder since you guys are up there lol, over here it's only illegal in Florida (but legal in Arizona, California and Texas, go figure). I always thought heat had something to do with whether a feeder species was allowed or not...

mich

Hatchling Member
None of the online feeder places I order from ship them to Canada and pet stores have no idea what I'm even talking about when I mention them or even phoenix worms. I've also heard hornorms are no longer allowed in Ontario because our pet stores have all been unable to get any in for nearly a year and my online supplier has been "out of stock" for just as long. Northern Ontario is COLD. To steal a line from a comedian we have 4 seasons: Almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction. Very true.

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
Hahaha!
They may be illegal, but you can get them. In the regional forum, there are some sellers sometimes. I got mine from member LittleD. He shipped me 100 males+females last fall, and during transportation many babies were born! I also got some during winter from geckoboy, he was able to ship with heat packs. Both guys are in Ontario if I remember well, and I would recommend both (even if you're not from ON, I'm in Quebec)! geckoboy has a website, he's a gecko breeder, so you may find him with a search.

Good luck!
Isabelle

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Guys, if you know they are illegal please do not advertise someone that has them illegally!!!!!!!!! Send the OP a pm on how to get them.

clear":1refxutu said:
Guys, if you know they are illegal please do not advertise someone that has them illegally!!!!!!!!! Send the OP a pm on how to get them.

sorry i ment to say they are NOT illegal here, every one has them to be honest.
sorry lol

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Ok, can you show the rules and regulations that says non native invasive species of cockroach is legal?

Momto3boys

Sub-Adult Member
I don't have time to find all the info but it is posted on reptiles canada somewhere...

They are NOT illegal to own here, they are illegal to import/export but once they are here they are prefectly legal to own....some people still say it's a gray area and they're not too sure but lots of us definately have them...including me.

I bought some of my first from Nathan (geckoboy) he is AMAZING to deal with, there's also Randall from Randall's reptiles that sells them, he has them posted right on his site, just like geckoboy...

Reptiles Canada has a Classified section, that's where I found all mine from...my second batch I got from a girl in Kitchener, she was selling out and I got them for a real good price...

Anyways Good Luck!

Roaches here are a funny subject here IMO. As far as my understanding goes they are legal to own, but illegal to import/export. CFIA is a bit... backwards shall we say.

The Manitoba Herp Society forums discussed it a few months back. Here's that thread: *HERE*

Has a link to the Reptiles Canada thread in there as well

EDIT:
Some interesting pages from CFIA's site
List of Approved facilities for display of live exotic insects in Canada: Notice how that the entire province of Manitoba is non-existent on that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom