www.dachiu.com question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
This thread has been reported for violating several rules of this forum... Please stick to the topic at hand, Adeno can be discussed in a separate thread!

Stick to the original question about whether you recommend the Dachiu's?

Anthony

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Please remain on the original topic.The OP asked for opinions.There will be several different opinions as a matter of course and thats fine.Do not bash eachother for their opinions whatever their reasons may be it is still their opinion.Any further reports in regards to this thread may result in the thread being locked and the offenders recieving warnings and/or possible bannings

Thank you

Marguerite

We personaly have three beardies from Dachiu. The first one I got was very shy and didn't want to eat very well. After talking with Vickie
I learned that she was probably afraid of my bird. Time went on and she continued to be shy. I talked with Vickie and she said I deserved a beardie that I could really enjoy. She sent another one of my choice and didn't even charge me shipping. WHAT OTHER BREEDER WOULD DO THAT? My first one is now a year old and finally out of her shy stage and so sweet. She also eats like a little pig. VICKIE AND ROB ARE SOME OF THE BEST. They are willing to help any time.

Tecky

Original Poster
Marguerite":d2d4b said:
We personaly have three beardies from Dachiu. The first one I got was very shy and didn't want to eat very well. After talking with Vickie
I learned that she was probably afraid of my bird. Time went on and she continued to be shy. I talked with Vickie and she said I deserved a beardie that I could really enjoy. She sent another one of my choice and didn't even charge me shipping. WHAT OTHER BREEDER WOULD DO THAT? My first one is now a year old and finally out of her shy stage and so sweet. She also eats like a little pig. VICKIE AND ROB ARE SOME OF THE BEST. They are willing to help any time.

I emailed them before I made this thread, I still have not heard anything back from them. They're a small family owned business, I can't imagine them being this full of emails. I would like to do something with them in the future, I like the looks of a lot of their beardies. I just hope I hear something back from them at some point.

hockeyballz30

Sub-Adult Member
i currently have a bearded dragon that tested positive for adeno. She is well over 500 grams and with great color. Aside from this, if i knew that dachiu did not test for adeno, i never would have purchased her from there. I was planning on breeding her. I do have 2 other dragons....and yes they are positive as well. Most of you will hit me hard right there and say well it may have become positive after the fact because the other ones are positive. I have learned so much since that day i bought peaches. To inform myself about adeno is really all you can do. It is has been around for a long time, it is only now being studied more thoroughly. I find it odd also that they would support small colonies financially with testing, if in fact they did not care about adeno. so yes, you can say i have sour feelings on dachiu's approach. I wish i knew what i knew now before i purchased from them. Their facilities are amazing and they do have beautiful dragons. It is really up to the buyer anyway you cut it. There are other breeders out there that do test for adeno, so having a piece of mind that they took the time out to test them before they send them to you, that is what i would like to see. One last note, i wanted to find out peaches birthdate, getting in touch with dachiu was almost near impossible. Several weeks later and several emails later ( after phone calls went unanswered) i finally got a response. So finally, IMO i would not purchase from them again.

Tecky

Original Poster
Got no answer from these people. They just lost a potential customer. Not a good way to run a so called business.

101dragons

I think the whole "adeno" hype is very overrated !
We own currently 4 "Dachiu" animals, and we have no problems what so ever.
In total we breed appr.200 upto 250 baby's a year (obvious not with those four animals, we do own quite a few :wink: ) )
Without any problems ... funny a lot of people are so worried ... for no reason.

Oke ... so if your animal did test postive ... and then what ?
Nothing ..

Regards,

Sander

hockeyballz30

Sub-Adult Member
i disagree, especially if you are a breeder or plan to breed. This is a problem that people do not really seem to care about. Breeders just disregard obvious signs and go ahead and breed for money. The disease can be fatal.....most cases your dragons is fine and dandy. Others, they do not thrive. How is that fair to any animal due to our blatant disregard of a disease that is in bearded dragons? People see the good cases, the cases where the dragons is healthy and appears to be living a healthy life. Take it as you will.

101dragons

Obviously you can't relate all problems which you come accross with offspring to Adeno.
This is simply not the case !
I have a very good relationship with one of the highest "ranked" vets in Holland ...
We spoke about the adenovirus quite often ... but .. if an animal dies .. how can you proof he died because of adeno.
You can't .. the only thing you might find is the actual animal was "carrying" the adeno virus, but was this what killed him/her ?
It's so easy to blame all problems on the adeno virus.

One last thing :
If you disagree with me no problem, i respect that, but one thing i don't respect i you acquising me off selling dragons just for the money !
We do this pure for hobby purposes only ! I own (with three colleagues) a transportcompany, that's where my money is coming from.
I host one of the most populair forumboards in Holland ... just for the money ? no ... just to educate people and help them with their problems !
If you had a look on our website, you fill find information, information an again information, commercial ??? no, not at all.
We develope and import our own vitamine mixes .. just to offer people a good product, again for the money ? no not al all.

Just like you said ... take it as you will, but please don't insult me.

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
101dragons":8aaa4 said:
I think the whole "adeno" hype is very overrated !

Without any problems ... funny a lot of people are so worried ... for no reason.

Oke ... so if your animal did test postive ... and then what ?
Nothing ..

Regards,

Sander

I disagree with you. Breeders tend to think this way. BUT there are problems with some adeno positive animals. No one wants to purchase one and then have hundreds of dollars in vet bills due to it. All I can say is, it is a BUYERS BEWARE.

Obviously you can't relate all problems which you come accross with offspring to Adeno.
This is simply not the case !

I agree not all problems but some problems. A vet can do a necropsy and test the liver. An apparently healthy dragon dying for no reason is not right. Do an autopsy and check yourself on a apparently healthy animal. Adenovirus DOES and can cause issues with the lungs, liver and intestines.

Just like you said ... take it as you will, but please don't insult me.

I did'nt think Hockeyballz30 insulted you at all, it was a general statement. Everyone has the right to have an opinion just because it differs from you or I doesn't mean it's an insult.

101dragons

It's not only my oppinion, but also one of the most respected Repti-Vets in Holland.
But in your opinion we are all wrong.

999 out of 1000 people don't even bother going to the vet for an autopsy at all ... and those people are shouting out to everboby "adeno, adeno" ... that's just not right at all ! Of course there known problems with the adeno virus, but people are "hyping" it up just to have something to say.
People can better make a big deal about housing, lighting etc. etc. that's where 99 out of 100 problems occure !

And i will take it as an insulte if people say i'm into breeding just for the money which is pure b.s. ...
At the moment i'm keeping and breeding these fantastic animals for over 22 years, one thing i did find, the minute a registered here on this forum board and put up some pictures of our animals, i received a couple of private messages from members here "warning" me for the Dachiu dragons ..
What's that all about ? i think it just "bashing" people and for what ?

Best regards,

Sander

hockeyballz30

Sub-Adult Member
First of all, i was not implying that you bred only for money, i was saying this as a general statement. I have no idea how you do business and it was in no way directed towards you. But, it is true that a lot of breeders that know the adeno virus is in their colony, breed and sell their babies. If it weren't the case, the spread of this virus would not be world wide and in so many colonies. As for your second statement about the forum bashing certain breeders. Forums are meant to inform people on where to buy and opinions on breeders as well as so much more. Because a lot of people have warned about dachiu, does not mean they are "bashing" them. People come on here and share their experiences, that's the case. If you disagree with it, well it is an opinion of first hand experience that someone has encountered. We are all here to help one another.

I adopted my very first beardie from them. They are fantastic to deal with and are extremely dedicated. We purchased a juvenile from them and he is doing wonderfully. As for the AV, I don't sweat it because of what I have experienced with other pets.

I was a phanatic when it came to adopting my puppies through breeders. They had to be tested for any genetic disorder, etc. Although I spent several hundreds of dollars for a pug that supposedly has no genetic disorders and from a champion bloodline, after a few years she has all kinds of health issues (and it's not because of neglect on our part). We spent THOUSANDS of dollars for a bulldog that is also supposedly from a champion bloodline, exported from the top bulldog breeding facility in Brazil, with no genetic disorders, and after a couple of months, we spent thousands more because of multiple genetic disorders, allergies, etc. that the paperwork claimed she was tested for and the breeder was very ignorant and reluctant to help or even cover the vet bill.

I have learned it's my responsiblity to care for my pets and it doesn't matter what illnesses they acquire now or in the future. I just make sure I'm financially prepared. So what if my beardies may or may not have AV, it won't make me love them any less, if so, much more. I will take the responsiblity of taking care of the issue.

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
I find it interesting how other breeders are so defensive about the adeno topic and it being brought up in threads regarding breeder reputation. PEOPLE DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO DRAW THEIR OWN OPINIONS THROUGH RESEARCH AND DISCUSSION WITH OTHERS.

I personally find it sickening that this board, certain breeders, and the moderators issue “gag orders” to anybody who wants to discuss adeno virus and how it relates to specific breeders or their reputation. For me, it would be VERY important information and I would want to know ALL ABOUT it, regardless of the breeder in question.

I don’t understand why it is so sinful on here to mention adeno virus when somebody is asking about a breeder that admittedly has it in their colony’s and does not test. People have the right to know that when they are asking about the breeder for crying out loud! You want to ban me for this statement, go for it, but it is flat out WRONG that you won’t allow us to discuss it. It IS an issue and the thread IS on topic. It’s an opinion thread and just because people don’t agree on adeno does not mean that one side should be censored over the other. That is biased and baseless.

My statements are in no way an attack on Dachiu. I don’t know them personally and I don’t have any of their dragons. I personally can't come to terms with adeno and the risk of paying top dollar for a dragon that might be affected by it. Hence, I locally purchased 2 high quality color morphs for $50 each and called it a day. I will take my chances on something a little less expensive, thank you. Dachiu has come a long way on the adeno topic and I appreciate their updates in their website information and policies when it comes to adeno. It is definately commendable that they are willing to take any adeno positive animals back.

The oppressiveness of this topic on this board….that is my issue. It’s just plain wrong. :angry5:

Somebody tell me exactly WHY adeno should have to be discussed in a seperate thread, when the breeder in question admittedly has it in their colony???? THAT is just ridiculous.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
[Seems like there has been a misunderstanding about the discussion/non-discussion of the adeno virus. A polite reminder about staying on topic was posted above but did not mention the adeno virus at all so evidently there is some confusion about this whole issue. The moderators and Administrator have never discouraged anyone from discussing this and did not mention that it shouldn't be discussed in this thread, so not sure where that idea came from. This thread is being unlocked to continue with the Dachiu discussion so let's try to keep things calm and friendly.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom