Worried new Baby Beardie mama (She has not eaten anything today)

Beardie name(s)
Delphina 'Meatball"
Hi! I am a new beardie mama to a nearly 3 month old hatchling. She has been eating anywhere from 16-25 crickets daily which i dont know if is even good or bad for her age as all websites seem to differ on this. Today she has not eaten at all aside from a small piece of bell pepper .
Nothing else seems wrong but she wont eat any crickets or any more bell peppers and shes never eaten any greens no matter how hard i try. She is very active, curious, climbing her stirofoam wall and chasing crickets but wont eat them :(. What is wrong with my baby? (she also started spot- shedding 2 days ago and im not sure if this has anything to do with it )

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 4.59.51 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 4.59.51 PM.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_8007.jpg
    IMG_8007.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 72

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Please go over your setup. What type of uvb bulb are you using compact/coil or long tube. What brand and where is it placed, is it on top of the screen or under the screen. What are you using for the basking bulb, and what are the temps? How are you measuring the temps? Also please post a few pics of your setup. Try to show light placement and one that shows the screen on top clearly. The lighting is the most critical aspect of their care. If it isn't on point nothing else will be either.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
looking at your profile information, it could be a couple of things...

one, you haven't had them that long so it could still be relocation stress.

two, it could definitely be from the shedding too.

three, you mention you have an arcadia uvb, but not what type. is it a long straight tube, or some other shape bulb? the long bulbs are what you're going to want and they come in different strengths. lights and temps are a little tricky to get dialed in when you first start out, but after you get them set you usually don't have to mess with them again. has anyone gone over temps and lighting with you yet?

MeatballAndMama

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Delphina 'Meatball"
Please go over your setup. What type of uvb bulb are you using compact/coil or long tube. What brand and where is it placed, is it on top of the screen or under the screen. What are you using for the basking bulb, and what are the temps? How are you measuring the temps? Also please post a few pics of your setup. Try to show light placement and one that shows the screen on top clearly. The lighting is the most critical aspect of their care. If it isn't on point nothing else will be either.
Should be all listed in my profile!!

MeatballAndMama

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Delphina 'Meatball"

three, you mention you have an arcadia uvb, but not what type. is it a long straight tube, or some other shape bulb? the long bulbs are what you're going to want and they come in different strengths. lights and temps are a little tricky to get dialed in when you first start out, but after you get them set you usually don't have to mess with them again. has anyone gone over temps and lighting with you yet?
Its a long straight tube , im trying to google which one it is , i got it from the reptile store and the guy recomended it for her and yes i got the temps, lighting figured out before i brought her home to be safe , and i cant see any writing on the bulb :(

MeatballAndMama

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Delphina 'Meatball"
Should be all listed in my profile!!

It said 110-120 voltage , 60HZ on the light bulb holder itself

MeatballAndMama

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Delphina 'Meatball"
And its long tube , it says 110-120 Voltage 60 HZ on the bulb holder itself

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
And its long tube , it says 110-120 Voltage 60 HZ on the bulb holder itself
awesome on having the tube bulb! look at the end of the bulb itself. here's a pic of where to find it on an old bulb i have that needs to be recycled. whether it is a 12% or a 14% will determine the distance from your basking decor it will need to be. and is the screen on top a wide hole or more like the mesh in a screen door? that will determine if it can be on top or needs to be mounted inside instead. it's possible that the person you were talking to gave you correct information, but we very often see absolutely incorrect info given too. once these things get ruled out it is easier to troubleshoot what else could be going on.

it's good you have the digital probe thermometers. those are most accurate.

IMG_20230705_200907754.jpg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The Arcadia are great bulbs, you just have to make sure it is the desert and not the tropical variety. (It looks like an Arcadia fixture in your pic).

MeatballAndMama

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Delphina 'Meatball"
awesome on having the tube bulb! look at the end of the bulb itself. here's a pic of where to find it on an old bulb i have that needs to be recycled. whether it is a 12% or a 14% will determine the distance from your basking decor it will need to be. and is the screen on top a wide hole or more like the mesh in a screen door? that will determine if it can be on top or needs to be mounted inside instead. it's possible that the person you were talking to gave you correct information, but we very often see absolutely incorrect info given too. once these things get ruled out it is easier to troubleshoot what else could be going on.

it's good you have the digital probe thermometers. those are most accurate.

View attachment 81956
thank you so much !! it says 12% and im its a mesh screen , attaching photo!!

Attachments

• IMG_8011.jpg
    IMG_8011.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 57

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Ok looking at your profile, your basking temp is just a wee bit low, babies and juveniles need 105 to 110. It works best to give them multiple levels under the basking and they'll pick what they need/want.
They can get bored with thier food, maybe try offering some other insects along with the crickets

MeatballAndMama

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Delphina 'Meatball"
Ok looking at your profile, your basking temp is just a wee bit low, babies and juveniles need 105 to 110. It works best to give them multiple levels under the basking and they'll pick what they need/want.
They can get bored with thier food, maybe try offering some other insects along with the crickets
I have a branch to make sure she can choose how hot she wants it but i was worried i would burn her at 105 , its good to know that it wont. she seems to love the 100-105 !!
she loves mealworms (small) but she wont eat thse either. I did see her destroy a cricket just a few moments ago and thats one of the ones we left in her enclosure all day ( we kept her up late to see if she would eat and she has eaten at least one that we have seen) . We are going to get the rest of the crickets out before putting her to sleep so they dont bother her ( shes our princess haha)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom