Won't stop eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickett

Hello,
My bearded dragon is around 4-5months old and is about a foot long or more. He goes crazy for food. Whenever he sees any food whether its greens or live feeders he starts running into the walls of the tank and jumping around crazily. His beard turns super white and orange when there is food and when the food is gone it turns darker. He won't stop eating. I feed him about 25-35+ crickets a day and greens. I try not to overfeed him and feed him for the 10-15 minutes each time. If I kept going he would keep on eating. He has also been constantly shedding ever since I got him. He has gone through 2 or 3 full sheds and is on another right now since mid-January. Is this normal? Should I be feeding him more or less?

Another strange thing is his beard will be darker with no attention and when I put my hand in he'll turn bright white but he will run around my hand and jump from place to place in the viv (scared).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He should be eating at least 60 crickets per day--- your dragon is hungry and growing - keep offering the salads in the morning along/ the crickets -- and another feeding w/ just crickets do not dust the crickets at the second feeding only once per feeding - I would look at adding some BSFL to the morning salads on top use as many as you want DO NOT dust them --- they are great staple feeder -- also you might want to add some small super worms around 1-3 on top of his salads as well --- and I would look at switching to dubia roaches -- they are more filling and better nutritional wise
www.dubiaroaches.com
www.symptonbsf.com
You will need a glass or ceramic bowl like this
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder

nickett

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply. If I were to buy dubia roaches how many would you recommend per feeding or each day?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My 3 month old at the time was eating 12-15 roaches per feeding-- but I was also feeding 1-3 small super worms salad small horn worms and small silk and BSFL not all at the same time but at least one - two of the above- he had quite a variety - the BSFL are a staple as well as silk worms- I would add them to the salads like 3 of them

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
nickett":akkbqlda said:
Hello,
My bearded dragon is around 4-5months old and is about a foot long or more. He goes crazy for food. Whenever he sees any food whether its greens or live feeders he starts running into the walls of the tank and jumping around crazily. His beard turns super white and orange when there is food and when the food is gone it turns darker. He won't stop eating. I feed him about 25-35+ crickets a day and greens. I try not to overfeed him and feed him for the 10-15 minutes each time. If I kept going he would keep on eating. He has also been constantly shedding ever since I got him. He has gone through 2 or 3 full sheds and is on another right now since mid-January. Is this normal? Should I be feeding him more or less?

Another strange thing is his beard will be darker with no attention and when I put my hand in he'll turn bright white but he will run around my hand and jump from place to place in the viv (scared).

4 - 5 months old , should stlll be getting at least 2 live insect meals per day , should be on 1/3 size crickets by now, so 15 - 20 x 1/3 size crickets per meal is about right .

I'd say let him eat the crickets or other suitable sized insects offered 2 or 3 at time ( not just dumped in all at once ) til he looses interest .

My approach for hatchlings / sub 6 month old dragons is
lights on 6am
BIG bug meal about 9am << crickets >>
BIG bug meal about 2pm << BSFL or 1" long silkworms
( I was hatching and raising my own silkworms so always had moths laying eggs, eggs hatching, tiny worms , medium (3/4" to 1.5" worms) , big worms ( for my BT skinks and adult dragons ) , and cocoons waiting to hatch , my only expense was buying fresh mulberry leaves in batches of 200 ).
leave fresh salad after 2nd bug meal
smaller bug meal about 7pm << crickets >>
Lights out 9pm

kingofnobbys":2sfk0qrs said:
nickett":2sfk0qrs said:
Hello,

4 - 5 months old , should stlll be getting at least 2 live insect meals per day , should be on 1/3 size crickets by now, so 15 - 20 x 1/3 size crickets per meal is about right .

I'd say let him eat the crickets or other suitable sized insects offered 2 or 3 at time ( not just dumped in all at once ) til he looses interest .

My approach for hatchlings / sub 6 month old dragons is
lights on 6am
BIG bug meal about 9am << crickets >>
BIG bug meal about 2pm << BSFL or 1" long silkworms
( I was hatching and raising my own silkworms so always had moths laying eggs, eggs hatching, tiny worms , medium (3/4" to 1.5" worms) , big worms ( for my BT skinks and adult dragons ) , and cocoons waiting to hatch , my only expense was buying fresh mulberry leaves in batches of 200 ).
leave fresh salad after 2nd bug meal
smaller bug meal about 7pm << crickets >>
Lights out 9pm

Our pet supply store sells "small" crickets and "large" crickets. I'd say the smalls are about 1/2" (sometimes less) and the larges are more like an inch. Which is the 1/3 size? My beardie is 3 months old and an eating machine. He eats maybe 60 small ones each day, plus salad. Is that enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom