Will this UVB lamp be sufficient?

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
1691873786774.jpeg

1691873821609.jpeg

1691873862553.jpeg

Thoughts? It is a 39w, 14%, D3+ arcadia uvb light that comes with a reflector. Will this be sufficient for a growing 6mo old beardie?

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Yes but how big is the tank? 14% is a really strong bulb-- if your using a 40 gallon it's going to be too much - you want a 24" w/ a 12% bulb
Thank you, I have a 40 gallon at the moment. It’s time I replace my UVB fixture but my usual isn’t in stock, and, due to shipping and stockage issues won’t be in stock for roughly another month. I might order online, I used a 22.5” UVB tube that was 24w and 12%

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you, I have a 40 gallon at the moment. It’s time I replace my UVB fixture but my usual isn’t in stock, and, due to shipping and stockage issues won’t be in stock for roughly another month. I might order online, I used a 22.5” UVB tube that was 24w and 12%
Ok why are you replacing the fixture? Pet Smart carries the Arcadia pro T 5 12% bulb - is that where you are? You can also use a sunblaster nano tech fixture but you need to change the bulb out it comes w/ so you could get just the Arcadia 12% bulb from pangeareptiles online

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Thank you, I have a 40 gallon at the moment. It’s time I replace my UVB fixture but my usual isn’t in stock, and, due to shipping and stockade issues won’t be in stock for roughly another month. I might order online,
Ok why are you replacing the fixture? Pet Smart carries the Arcadia pro T 5 12% bulb - is that where you are? You can also use a sunblaster nano tech fixture but you need to change the bulb out it comes w/ so you could get just the Arcadia 12% bulb from pangeareptiles online
I’m replacing it because it is quite old and my current reflector broke (thanks a lot, cats). Yes, Petsmart is in my area but I checked tonight and they don’t have any in stock. I have a local herp shop that has the correct bulb in stock but it doesn’t come with a reflector. I also read that the wattage has to be higher since it was placed on a metal mesh top, is this true or more internet nonsense? Thanks,

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I’m replacing it because it is quite old and my current reflector broke (thanks a lot, cats). Yes, Petsmart is in my area but I checked tonight and they don’t have any in stock. I have a local herp shop that has the correct bulb in stock but it doesn’t come with a reflector. I also read that the wattage has to be higher since it was placed on a metal mesh top, is this true or more internet nonsense? Thanks,
Yes screens block approx 30% of uvb rays -- fine mesh like a screen door inside the tank a wide hole type it can go on top distance is different as well

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Yes screens block approx 30% of uvb rays -- fine mesh like a screen door inside the tank a wide hole type it can go on top distance is different as well
But if it blocks 30% UVB would 14% be alright or still too much? I’m placing it above my tank over a metal screen mesh.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It should be ok just make sure your beardie has a place to hide and get out of it if it needs to.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
It should be ok just make sure your beardie has a place to hide and get out of it if it needs to.
I’ve been told 14% is a bit extreme for a 40 gallon, but is it still if it’s placed over a metal mesh that blocks 30% UVB? Leo has one hide on his cool side and one hide on his warm side.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You can aways prop it up on the ends to raise it a but above the screen if your worried. As long as he has a place to go, he'll move if it's to strong. Just watch him and see how he responds

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom