why is she sleepy......help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, well nalas 12 weeks old now, shes doing so well..........she started her 1st shed since iv had her on saturday she seemed to be fine though and managed to eat.....sunday she was eating aswell but had the major nark on she just basked on her log and kept going a really really dark black colour, i just took it she had the hump (as us women do lol), yesterday she just didnt seem to bothered to do anything she slept most of the day but was eating and she did pass stools...........today shes pritty much the same. whats up with her shes worrying me.
please help.

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Hi!
Welcome to beardie slavedom!

Ok, I've got a couple Qs that might help me with this one!

How old is Nala?
Where do you live?
What type of UVB are you using (flourescent tube, Mercury Vapor Bulb or coil/compact)? Please include brand & strength?
What are your temps? Basking spot & cool side.
What are you using to take your temps (digital therm with probe, stick on/analog therm. or temp gun)?

I'm guessing there's just some simple husbandry issue and we can find you a nice easy fix!

- Kerry

gemmaw6102

Original Poster
hi nala is 12 weeks old, i live in the uk (england) im using a reptie glo 8.0 and temps are set at 32 on an automatic thermostat....i have purchased a temp gun but waiting for it to arrive.

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
All right, so a couple ideas.

You've got a good UVB- I'm assuming it's under 6 months old? Do make sure your baby can get within 10 inches of it, but no closer than 4 inches.

You might want to bump your temps a little, somewhere btwn 38-43 is ideal. Where does the probe sit in relationship to where the beardie sits?
- somebody from anywhere other than the US correct me if my conversion isn't right!
You're aiming for 100-110 F. If she's not in a larger tank (over the 20L size), be careful with this step. It can be quite challenging to get a basking spot that hot without getting the rest of the tank too hot.

For now I would remove any hides you might have in your enclosure- force her out into the light! Sometimes I feel like mine just never wake up for the day if they dodge their lights.

Last, but not least, I am also assuming you are bathing Nala at least weekly?

gemmaw6102

Original Poster
hello the prob is under the basking lamp on the floor........
shes in a 5 ft by 2 ft viv i dunno what that is in gallons!!! sorry nit vewry good at math.

she does not have any hide aways in her viv, i dont want to encourage her to hide and be unsocable, she does however have a fleece blanket that she lays on and loves it, she cannot get any where near the uvb light (repti glo 8.0), and im thinking its under 6 months old as it was braught new 3 weeks ago.

she has a bath 3 times a week.

shes eating superbly im feeding her twice a day as she just doesnt want it 3 times she manages to wipe away around 22 crickets, she doesnt however eat greens or fruit yet, i keep tempting her with it but shes such a fussy minx she just sticks head in air and walks off lol.....i will not give in though and hopefully one day soon shel take her first munch on it.

i will crank up the temp abit then and see how this helps......shes not as bad today seems a bit more happy and a bit more lively, im wondering if maybe it was the after shock of shedding????

Pleaides

Juvie Member
hello
sorry your some little problems with your little 'un.
ok now my one concern is your UV, your using the reptiGLO 8.0, that is better than the 10.0 by miles however they are not overally good UV sources i would recommend getting a reptiSUN 5.0 or 10.0, that is a much much better UV for your beardie, it could be that shes hiding because of the rays
shes 11 weeks old and in a 5x2x2 vivarium? thats too big for her at that size, obviously they do grow quick so she will definitely need that space, thats what i have my 2 adult beardies in, seperately, of course! lol. so id portion it off with a bit of cardboard or something so shes not so exposed, maybe shes feeling insecure being out in big open space, once you have cornered off a bit remove her hides so she has to bask.
:)

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
a 5.0 uvb tube is not suitable for a beardie

although the reptiglo 8.0 is OK for now next time you buy one go for either a reptisun 10.0 or, even better, and you can actually get them in the uk :D , an arcadia 12% (don't buy the reptiglo 10.0 because it has been found to cause problems with beardies' eyes)

Pleaides

Juvie Member
Zemanski":52609 said:
a 5.0 uvb tube is not suitable for a beardie

im not trying to be funny or anything but obviously the reptisun 10.0 is the best bulb apart from the arcadia, howveer the 5.0 is ok for a beardie i know that for a fact, obviously it doesnt last as long as the 10.0 though, you have to change it every 3-5 months instead.
the reason im using a 5.0 at the moment for my male beardie is i couldnt afford the 10.0 at present as im in debt as i have just had a £1000 in vet bills so when its up for changing i will be going back to the 10.0.
:D

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
it's fine if you know what you're doing and why, but it's not so good to recommend it to someone just starting out

that's hell of a lot on vets' bills; hope you got everything sorted :?

Pleaides

Juvie Member
Zemanski":0b5dc said:
it's fine if you know what you're doing and why, but it's not so good to recommend it to someone just starting out

that's hell of a lot on vets' bills; hope you got everything sorted :?

i know, sorry :oops: , i didnt word it properly i was on my way out when i posted that, i find it does get expensive when first setting up your habitat for them so just maybe getting the reptisun 5.0 then but obviously i normally always recommend the reptisun 10.0 :D
i do have access to the arcadia but dont know much about them and i know their pricey.

hmm out of 6 reptiles, 4 of them have had to have treatment in the last few months, my 2 dragons, mischief had to be treated for coccidia and worm eggs, Venus for worm eggs, 2 corn snakes, Scales had pneumonia borderline septicemia and Skitzy had a wound i have no idea how she got, but snakies and venus all good, just left with some probs with mischief.
:shock:

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
arcadia is not that much more expensive and does last longer again, our local reptile shop has just switched to them (they used to do reptiglo, aaarrrggghhh!)

sounds like you've had a rough ride with your animals recently. I only have one beardie but he's cost enough in vet bills and special supplements, etc, this year with high levels of parasites. I've just invested in reptaid in the hope that it will help him recover and see off the last of the parasites but that's not cheap either. He does seem more active though and has started to eat independently for the first time in months :D

Pleaides

Juvie Member
yep ive got the reptiaid XL on order and nope definitely not cheap it cost me $44 which in sterling is about £30! so dear considering its herbal, lol, but if it works then it will definitely be worth it.

gemmaw6102 - i hope your little one is doing better. any updates?

gemmaw6102

Original Poster
hi peeps, well actaually she completely fine i havnt changed any uvb i did however crank up the temp to about 34/36 dunno if it was that, that did the trick but shes completely bk to normal she has been for a few days now, im just wondering can shedding take it out of them a bit and make them sleepy?, shes eating well, actually to well, i think shes gonna be a little fatty. she wont howere eat any greens yet, i keep trying her but na she throws head in the air and walks away. any sujestions shes 13 weeks now so do i just keep tempting her or wait?

Pleaides

Juvie Member
so your going to stick with the reptiglo 8.0? your choice
how long before you have to change that uv?
yep all you can do is keep offering her greens, leave them in a little shallow dish in the cool end of her home and one day she should start eating them, any greens she touches in good at the moment but protein is more important at this age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom