Why is repti glo 10 bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grogshla

Juvie Member
I am located in wollongong australia and i cannot find a retailer for reptisun products so i purchased the repti glo 10
why do people think it is a bad light that causes damage. Wouldn't exo terra put lots of money into r&d? it would be bad for them to put out bad products? please only respond if you have good evidence why. thanks

libinoz

I am also in Australia, in south east Queensland. From what I have learned here on this site is that the Repti-glo lights have been known to cause eye problems. The Arcadia D3 12% reptile tube is apparently the best one to get or Reptisun. I ended up getting an Arcadia tube from Pet City Online is Brisbane and it was $20 cheaper as well. Some of the more experienced people on here will probably come on and give you more specific info regarding the Reptiglo v Reptisun but I didn't want to take the risk of eye problems with my beardie.

Joshandmushu

Hatchling Member
I think there was a bad batch of reptiglo 10.0s because like you said why would they keep selling bad products if they were going to cause blindness in peoples reptiles. At the moment I am using a reptiglo 10.0 and everything is fine no problems.

Grogshla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
yeah i agree man. It just frustrates me as they are not cheap!! I plan on getting my dragon in 6 days... so if i cant find some1 to supply it to me i will use the reptiglo.. If he seems to get problems then i will change. Still on the look out though. Its frustrating as there are no proper reptile shops around here. Most of them just have a few handfuls of accessories

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
With evry UVB bulb low frequency UVB and even UVC is produced, which can be very toxic and bad for beardies. In the good bulbs (reptiSUN and arcadia) the appropriate glass filters them out so they never reach the reptile. With the reptiGLOs they use an inferior glass which allows the bad wavelengths through. Basically its a cost cutting measure which directly effects the animals.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
With light spectrum meters, but if you dont believe you can always try and rent one out. As your dragon is 'not' showing symptoms it could either mean he has i high tolerance or the glass of your bulb is thicker than the majority. I know after jst 2 weeks under a reptiglo my females appitie decreased dramatically, her colour's were very dull and she was generally listless. Countless others have has similar experiences.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
They get away with it because there is no government regulation on uv lights. They sell a cheap product to pet stores who are more concerned with their profit then health and safety, and then they sell to people who never do any research about what they're buying. reptiles don't have a huge agency that protects them like with cats and dogs. There's a lot of people who have a "who cares" attitude about reptiles even amongst people who claim to be animal lovers.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
When new reptile products come out. The final testing phase is done in the field so to speak. When repti-glo 1st hit the market it had some major problems. Now as time has progressed so has the product. In MOST cases your dragons will be ok using this product. However there are better products on the market at this time.

Grogshla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
thanks alot for the advice!
it is really a shame that there is no quality control or standards in place to make sure that our pets are'nt in harms way

LennyTheLizardKing

Juvie Member
ziggy23":1sfk1s7l said:
They get away with it because there is no government regulation on uv lights. They sell a cheap product to pet stores who are more concerned with their profit then health and safety, and then they sell to people who never do any research about what they're buying. reptiles don't have a huge agency that protects them like with cats and dogs. There's a lot of people who have a "who cares" attitude about reptiles even amongst people who claim to be animal lovers.
I agree

LennyTheLizardKing

Juvie Member
I'm choked i've been using, Repti-glo 10.0 UVB 26W coil for Lenny his entire life and just recently he stopped eating. So i changed the bulb because it was well over 6 months. I put the new bulb in and his appetite started, but still is eating poorly. Now I find out this bulb sucks and have to buy new ones.. What is the best brand for uvb?

Grogshla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
LennyTheLizardKing":1kofz7rj said:
I'm choked i've been using, Repti-glo 10.0 UVB 26W coil for Lenny his entire life and just recently he stopped eating. So i changed the bulb because it was well over 6 months. I put the new bulb in and his appetite started, but still is eating poorly. Now I find out this bulb sucks and have to buy new ones.. What is the best brand for uvb?

yeah i know mate i just bought heaps of exo terra gear including reptiglo and sunglo uvb and spot lamps. Aparently the arcacia 12 or the reptisun ubv are the best ones to get.

RedInkAus

Hatchling Member
Grogshla":1bpz8546 said:
I am located in wollongong australia and i cannot find a retailer for reptisun products so i purchased the repti glo 10
why do people think it is a bad light that causes damage. Wouldn't exo terra put lots of money into r&d? it would be bad for them to put out bad products? please only respond if you have good evidence why. thanks

I would not bother with any of the name brand stuff for where we are mate, too bloody expensive. You should have just asked me and Carolyn on ARF on this matter. Here in OZ 90% of us use NEC T10 blacklights mate. They are around the $25 mark for a 60cm tube and output more efficiently than the name brand ones. Melbourne zoo uses them for their enclosures. Check the herpshop online if you cant locate one around the "gong". Brian will ship them to you no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom