Which Arcadia for a 40 gallon if I'm going to put the light on TOP of the mesh (medium/large mesh)

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I see there is a 14% Beardie, a 12% Desert, and the 6% Forest. I would assume the 12% Desert would be a good fit but seeing as I am going to put in on TOP of the mesh, maybe I should get the stronger one? Let me know what you guys think.

Also, I am just going to foster a beard for a couple of week. Throwing down a lot of money to do this but the little guy needs help!

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
the 6% isn't going to be strong enough no matter what! i also believe the 14% will be too strong. i'm going to tag @KarrieRee. she's our resident light guru so work with her and she'll get you fixed up in no time. she'll ask a lot of questions in the beginning, which can be overwhelming, but the lighting/temperatures are absolutely crucial to beardie health.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Thanks. I’ve previously had a Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 bulb and that seemed to work well with this setup. Unfortunately all the Reptisun’s I buy these days are a little “dead” in the middle, their quality control is terrible.

Here is a photo of the poor baby that been neglected that I found on offer up:
DA235D9E-0D96-41DB-8A89-8111028C0843.jpg

This person owns THREE lizards (one leopard gecko and two beardies). I will be taking 2 to a rescue and I will be fostering one. I get them Friday. I don’t have a photo of the other beardie yet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks. I’ve previously had a Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 bulb and that seemed to work well with this setup. Unfortunately all the Reptisun’s I buy these days are a little “dead” in the middle, their quality control is terrible.

Here is a photo of the poor baby that been neglected that I found on offer up:
View attachment 84813

This person owns THREE lizards (one leopard gecko and two beardies). I will be taking 2 to a rescue and I will be fostering one. I get them Friday. I don’t have a photo of the other beardie yet.
Your going to want a 14% bulb to go thru mesh--what kind of mesh? is there a reason why you want it on top of the screen? I am so leery of putting them on top thinking they would not get the adequate UVB they need - especially thick screen --

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
the type of enclosure just would make it difficult to mount inside. the mesh is fairly wide (photo attached). plus it’s only a 40 gal so the light on the inside might be too close to the beardie height wise.

separate question. I got those thermometer thinking it would have a probe and a humidity gauge… no probe… is this a good product or no?
7AA0A887-AB5D-4382-8275-190174C35B6E.jpeg

Attachments

• 4C772668-E13D-4E1D-AB72-99272376EEAF.jpeg
    4C772668-E13D-4E1D-AB72-99272376EEAF.jpeg
    341.2 KB · Views: 50

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the type of enclosure just would make it difficult to mount inside. the mesh is fairly wide (photo attached). plus it’s only a 40 gal so the light on the inside might be too close to the beardie height wise.

separate question. I got those thermometer thinking it would have a probe and a humidity gauge… no probe… is this a good product or no?
View attachment 84845
I would get a one like this Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com
the UVB go w/ a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb -- it can be placed on the screen appox 8-10 inches directly over your basking decor --Pet Smart sells the UVB

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Oh and if someone could direct me to that link for the liquid valium that someone on here sells. This poor baby has NEVER had a UVB and is almost a year old. She doesn’t have major deformities but she is TINY.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh and if someone could direct me to that link for the liquid valium that someone on here sells. This poor baby has NEVER had a UVB and is almost a year old. She doesn’t have major deformities but she is TINY.
Home
This is Tracies website -- contact her on that site and ask about the liquid calcium

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I would get a one like this Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com
the UVB go w/ a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb -- it can be placed on the screen appox 8-10 inches directly over your basking decor --Pet Smart sells the UVB
the ReptiSun I got is actually working well now (it wasn’t in the store), but it’s only the 5.0 UVB. here is her setup right now. i will be getting her more (safe for MBD) decor soon.

Attachments

• 5A2170C9-AD08-47E5-8708-FC658BC9B327.jpeg
    5A2170C9-AD08-47E5-8708-FC658BC9B327.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 4862BEF2-FCAE-4AE2-8FB4-10B3589D7C5A.jpeg
    4862BEF2-FCAE-4AE2-8FB4-10B3589D7C5A.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 52

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the ReptiSun I got is actually working well now (it wasn’t in the store), but it’s only the 5.0 UVB. here is her setup right now. i will be getting her more (safe for MBD) decor soon.
Ok the bulb needs to be changed out to the Reptisun 10.0 22" or get the Arcadia Pro T 5 as I posted - the one you have now will work fine - it just needs to be the 10.0 bulb - the 5.0 bulb is NOT strong enough to go thru screen and needs to be unobstructed and 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor - please move the basking decor under it - at this point he /she is still not getting any UVB --

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I ended up getting the Cali-Blast.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how to feed a beardie that has been underfed their whole life? I’m just worried about over-feeding her and “shocking” her body. Her bellly is already SO full looking after just one day of being with me. She has had 4 roaches so far, and greens, and a lot of water (she drank in the bath, filtered water).

At her age (9-12 months) she should be getting bugs once a day max, BUT she is about the size of a 4 month old. What protein/salad ratio should I be does for her? Age based or size based?

The dark photo is from offer up, I didn’t take it.

Attachments

• 6D3D2618-1F7B-4EBD-A874-AFDBF80E886B.jpeg
    6D3D2618-1F7B-4EBD-A874-AFDBF80E886B.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 53
  • CD1CCA10-8B2B-4B28-BA17-D1EADF60F55F.jpg
    CD1CCA10-8B2B-4B28-BA17-D1EADF60F55F.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 53

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom