When to retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giffelse

At what age should you stop breeding your beardies? (Male and female, if it's different) I'm not breeding and don't plan on it. But I was curious and no one seemed to have asked that question before.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
its different for each dragon. You have to keep a feel out for the health and well being of your breeder. I am retiring my 4 year old female as producing eggs is far harder on her than it should be. So for her health and well being I am retiring her. It is the same for most other breeders. They take their cues from their animals. As long as they stay healthy it is not a problem. I know a few breeders that have 8 year old dragons still successfully producing eggs for them with no "apparent" repercussions.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Brian hit the nail on the head so to speak.
I retired Roxy at just under 4 due to a minor prolapse.
Rhonda was retired at the guessed age of 6 due to poor recovery from multiple clutches.
Lyrch was officially retired at 6 just because He is the smallest dragon I own, just dont tell Him. He still thinks He is a nile monitor.

larry

Hatchling Member
TheWolfmanTom":1kpq0upv said:
Brian hit the nail on the head so to speak.
I retired Roxy at just under 4 due to a minor prolapse.
Rhonda was retired at the guessed age of 6 due to poor recovery from multiple clutches.
Lyrch was officially retired at 6 just because He is the smallest dragon I own, just dont tell Him. He still thinks He is a nile monitor.
spyder79":1kpq0upv said:
its different for each dragon. You have to keep a feel out for the health and well being of your breeder. I am retiring my 4 year old female as producing eggs is far harder on her than it should be. So for her health and well being I am retiring her. It is the same for most other breeders. They take their cues from their animals. As long as they stay healthy it is not a problem. I know a few breeders that have 8 year old dragons still successfully producing eggs for them with no "apparent" repercussions.

Ok, here you say you retired some of your breeders off the game, but in many posts i´ve read that you can´t prevent a female from laying if she is to, even though they produce infertile clutches and even though they are not ever in contact with a male. If you retire your females breeders but they continue to lay infertile clutches, how do you manage that? since she´ll be producing clutches, wouldn´t it be the same that she produced infertile or fertile clutches? Is there a way to stop her from laying?
I´ve asked the same question some time ago only regarding a young female( some 1and 1/5 year), if she´s starting to produce infertile clutches (infertile couse she is housed alone in a separated tank), wouldn´t it be the same if, when i see it, i put her with a male? the same for her, leave aside the cost and time for raising babies, i´m only curious for an answer
thanks
Ariel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brohelphimlol
Top Bottom