when is too young to separate siblings M & F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
A week at home and so far so good.

Not resumed my regular BP tablets yet (worried they might interact in undesireable ways with the pharmas I was sent home with from the hospital - and my BP was always OK as in well inside normal range when measured at the hospital (several times per day)).

GP coming to see me this afternoon and I'll ask if I still need to take Natrilix and Zan-Extra or if I need something different. Was instructed to see GP within week of discharge.

Been having the best nights' sleeps for years since returning home, only waking if disturbed or at the crack of dawn , big difference to having to get up several times per night to pee like I had while on the Natrilix and Zan-Extra.

Cut back from 4 Optifast meals (with Benefibre in 2) + 1 veg + 1 salad meal per to 3 Optifast meals (NO added Benefibre) + either salad or veg stur-fry (is nice with satay and or oyster sauce).

Not having the low cal jellies like I was (3x per day in hospital) or the low cal cordials (like I was getting several times per day) or the clearified "broths", but will ask about Heinz Tomato Soup (heated with water rather than my usual milk and water) as noted it's <1% fat and very low cal in the can.

Would love a nice bit of cheese or a couple of dry fried eggs will ask about this too while on the Intensive Stage of the program.

Got use of the A-Frame walker sorted now.

Yet to see the visiting dietition.

Update on spikey children.

Toothless is looking pretty daggy with bits of shed hanging off him.

Rex was so thirsty last night she was liking the bit of paper towel I placed under her chin while I was using the water bottle to put drops of water on her nose. She even drunk from a bowel (first time I've seen her do this ! in 4 years !).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just caught up on this one (have been away myself) I'm sorry to hear you had to go to hospital. That's a bummer you caught the flu while there. Not hitting you too hard I hope. We were just over your way so my wife could give training on preventing hospital related infections! I'm glad your spikey babies are doing well. Am glad to hear you're able to sleep soundly now too. Can you work with some miso soup? that's pretty good stuff and filling if you can put some noodles in it. Pretty easy to put together and healthy.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1z4rfea3 said:
Just caught up on this one (have been away myself) I'm sorry to hear you had to go to hospital. That's a bummer you caught the flu while there. Not hitting you too hard I hope. We were just over your way so my wife could give training on preventing hospital related infections! I'm glad your spikey babies are doing well. Am glad to hear you're able to sleep soundly now too. Can you work with some miso soup? that's pretty good stuff and filling if you can put some noodles in it. Pretty easy to put together and healthy.

I didn't enjoy my stay in hospital AT ALL....

The GP visited about dinner time and seemed very pleased with how I'm going, only one pressure ulcer left now (and it's tiny cf same ulcer even 3 months ago, all the rest have healed), and has asked me not to take my BP meds, reckons I don't need them anymore , but will monitor regularly , easy enough to restart them if my BP warrants it.

Now on new meds, VitD tabs (until I start spending more time in the natural sunlight) and Metforman (not because I'm diabetic, but some insulin sensitivity was detected while in hospital) + GastroStop while I'm on the OPTIFAST for as long as I need it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Both the OT and Physio visited today (separately), said they were both very pleased with me.

And both upped the exercise routine as a consequence. :(

Think I'll need some panadiene before they come next time (for my dodgey right knee).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":ldkqa37j said:
Time to walk the skink?
LOL
Even my bluetongues move too fast for me right now, I'd have buckley's of keeping up with them if the skink decides it's on a mission.
Came out of hospital more unfit and less mobile than I was before I got cellulitis.

My wonderful pet 5 yr old BT skinks George and Mildred ALSO both missed me and my wife said they seemed very depressed while I was away, but at least they behaved themselves for my wife and ate their salads and pellets , silkworms and snails. They don't seem to want to go very far from me right now.... and if anything seem even more clingy to me when it's snuggle time (don't want the snuggle to stop).

One of the things my wife did while I was in hospital was to put the phone on "speaker" / hands free and she told me she was amazed how each of my dragons and skinks responded when they heard my voice as I spoke to them .... each one suddenly looked here there and everywhere and "cheered up" (obvious with the beardies as they coloured up very brightly). I wish I'd been able to see that.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa and Toothless are both 1 year old today (give or take a couple of days).

Peppa gained 26.6g this week (but did a big poo right after weighin and her crickets), 465.6g including poo. A dose of olive oil each day for 2 days + a tummy rub did the trick.

Toothless lost 14.7g this week, been in shed, pooed this morning before I weighed him, now 344.7g.

Will give them (all = the BTs and beardies) some treats today, soft boiled egg and some banana for the BTs, and some bits of strawberry and blueberry for the beardies (got no silkworms right now unfortunately - I know they all LOVE silkworms).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Looks like Peppa and Toothless 's growth rates are starting to plateau, or their 26W UVB200s were not giving enough UVB .
4uihz8.gif

My brand new Solar Meter Model 6.2 UVB microwatt/sq.cm meter arrived today . I decided it was more useful to monitor the flux of UVB produced by my UV lighting than to monitor the UVI and try to infer UVB performance indirectly. Adequate exposure to UVB is crucial to dietary calcium metabolisation and growth and proper development for beardies and skinks..
( I held off changing my UVB200s until my model 6.2 UVB meter arrived so I could establish a reliable base-line for new and old UVB200s. )

I tested the old UVB200s against a brace of brand new UVB200s.

Rex's UVB200 which has been in use for 8 months was down to 43 uW UVB/sq.cm measured perpendicular from the centre coil at a distance of 15cm.
Peppa's in use for 7 months was 42uW UVB/sq.cm at the same position
Toothless' also in use for 7 months was 45uW UVB/sq.cm at the same position.
All on for 16 hours per day.

3 brand new 26W UVB200s were installed and measured exactly the same way in the Nano-hoods and produced 138-154 uW UVB/sq.cm , indicating the old UVB200s UVB flux output had reduced by about 70% and according to Solarmeter's Guidelines - due for replacement.

My tests also indicated the advertised UVB uW/sq.cm output for UVB200s is bang on for BRAND NEW 26W UVB200s.

NB uW is microW.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's REALLY helpful info. Thanks for posting about it. It sounds like 15cm is just about the right distance for those bulbs with full output. I wouldn't want to see them any closer than that anyway due to their visual intensity. Would be interesting to know the output at 20cm and 30cm and what the output is to the sides of the bulb to figure out the effective diameter.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3gk73nlk said:
That's REALLY helpful info. Thanks for posting about it. It sounds like 15cm is just about the right distance for those bulbs with full output. I wouldn't want to see them any closer than that anyway due to their visual intensity. Would be interesting to know the output at 20cm and 30cm and what the output is to the sides of the bulb to figure out the effective diameter.

I'll do some more measurements of the flux of UVB while the globes are "brandnew" and produce a 3D flux mapping at 15cm, 20cm and 30cm for one of my setups (26W UVB200 in a NANOHOOD) , note NanoHoods hold the globe horizonally and have a builtin reflector behind the globe.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Update :

spenbs.gif

2hdbepi.gif

Peppa is having another growth spurt , she's now topped 500g ! Gained 29.6g this week , she's now 511g.
Toothless is growing still but more slowly , he's only gained 2.8g this week (but been much more regular than Peppa) , and he's now 383g.

Comparison : our old 4 yr old girl Rex is 646g and is as usual regular a clockwork (pooing just about every day).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2x04s5bx said:
CooperDragon":2x04s5bx said:

I'll do some more measurements of the flux of UVB while the globes are "brandnew" and produce a 3D flux mapping at 15cm, 20cm and 30cm for one of my setups (26W UVB200 in a NANOHOOD) , note NanoHoods hold the globe horizonally and have a builtin reflector behind the globe.

Forgot .... will have to do this sometime soon.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry to hear that you're having all these health problems, but it's amazing that you've still been able to do all this research and create these impressive growth charts for you beardies, as well as bond with them so well that they even recognize your voice over the phone.

I hope you will be able to recover from your stay in the hospital and be able to stay out of there in the future. My cousin, who spent some time there with COPD, used to compare it to being in prison. Sounds like your whole family (humans and reptiles included) is glad to have you back home :D

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
A very beardie Xmas

nf3a5l.gif

Peppa .... ooo!!! yumm !!! superworms ...nom nom nom

2csgkf7.gif

Peppa .... I'm so full I just want to rest on this nice cool and pretty gift.

25qwyo7.gif

Toothless .... oh, OK, I'll wear this silly hat
29qeivt.gif

Toothless .... now this is what I love ...

nohkhw.gif

Rex , yummy superworms !!! ... my fav treat ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom