when is too young to separate siblings M & F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":2yl3fw3r said:

Yep we love our 3 beardies to pieces .... Toothless is very much the mischievous boisterous boy, Peppa and Rex are snuggle addicts.

Only 6 weeks and Peppa and Toothless will be 13 lunar months ( 1 lunar month = 28 days ) or 1 year old - I hope to everything on hand to be able to build and fit out their new three bay Perspex (aluminium = QUBELOC system) beardie home before Peppa and Toothless turn 1 year old.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
As from Monday , I was too sick & feverish to get out of bed on Sunday and they went without their bugs for a day, just got some greens , I have reduced Peppa and Toothless to one daily live insect feast.... they seem not to mind and have not been protesting or begging for more in the pm (they simply go for a nap and come back out to watch TV and bask before bedtime).

.... guess that they are telling me one big bug meal per day is OK and satisfies them, they are now eating more of their greens as well.

Rex and Puff were still on two bug meals each per day up til about 18 months old. Probably too much of a good thing.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like they're ready to slow down on the bugs. If they're liking their veges then they'll get plenty of nutrition from that to make up for bug decrease. I hope you feel better soon!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2fwbkfqj said:
It sounds like they're ready to slow down on the bugs. If they're liking their veges then they'll get plenty of nutrition from that to make up for bug decrease. I hope you feel better soon!

Been feeling really off most this week (apetite reduced, lethargic, and very thirsty), and quite feverish after dark , and noticed right leg has become a bit swollen and inflamed - looks sunburnt - from a bit above the ankle to the front of the knee - it's the knee I hurt in the shower slip , the area just at the back the calf (between the ankle and peroneels (?) has quite tender to touch and today on waking my wife noticed there were blister-like (?) lumps there, I reached down and one burst as soon as I touched it with a little gentle pressure.

Thirst thought was NO! got cellulitis again :( - so the first thing I did was to check the colour of liquid discharge and smell it ( clear colourless watery and smell free) so not same as when I had cellulitis of the left leg (that time the discharge was nasty and smelly).

So - some first aid = sterile combine pad coated with spray on butadiene (to make sure no bugs get in) and held in place with some hypofix.
Will do this for a day or two and hopefully the no further treatment is needed - a house call from a

GP visit is easy enough to arrange if there is no sign of improvement and I still feel off by then.
( Even after 4pm til about midnight , no charge).

Been in the wars this year.

Strange thing is now the right knee seems less swollen and stiff. No idea of this related.

Peppa and Toothless - well they are getting 12-14 med crickets + 2 med-large silkworms each day so they still getting plenty of insect protein. Peppa is more of fan of silkworms than her brother is (I have to trick him into eating his).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds like it's horrible to deal with. Did you get nipped by one of those vicious creepy crawlies that hang out over there? I read about the guy who got nipped in the business twice while using the portable down in Sydney. Makes me paranoid.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
My husband read that article and uses it as an excuse to never go to Australia. I liken it to grizzly bear attacks here. Rare but shiny for newspaper stories.

I hope your leg does better, cellulitis is no joke.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2kuwfuyp said:
That sounds like it's horrible to deal with. Did you get nipped by one of those vicious creepy crawlies that hang out over there? I read about the guy who got nipped in the business twice while using the portable down in Sydney. Makes me paranoid.

I've seen what spider bites can do, is similar but I think it is more likely a case of cellulitis or some kind of allegic reaction (I had the same thing happen when I was given penicillin - wound up loosing the surface skin off feet and toes and lower legs - that was NO FUN), I'm wounding if something I've eaten recently had some penicillin in it ????) .

No only spiders I've seen inside for quite a long time have been daddylonglegs (the ones the spin like crazy if disturbed).
Used to get whitetail spiders inside sometimes (then the daddylonglegs came inside and no more whitetails). Only other spiders I've had inside are huntsmen and they usually get shown the door on the end of a broom).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":2lqggjee said:
My husband read that article and uses it as an excuse to never go to Australia. I liken it to grizzly bear attacks here. Rare but shiny for newspaper stories.

I hope your leg does better, cellulitis is no joke.

It can be very bad, and I had it very bad in the lower left leg when a large haematoma (bruise) in my shin became infected (no idea how the bug got in there) , in that instance I couldn't stand even to stand on the leg and wound up in hospital for emergency surgery under a local to remove an abscess under the knee - that was no fun ! and hurt like hell - and I was on 6 hourly IV antibiotics for about 4 weeks, and talk was of off taking the leg if they couldn't control the infection, magnetic resonance scan showed another abscess that I have to be put under a general to have removed, then it was 8 months of daily visits from the home nurse to repack my surgical holes and I was still on oral antibiotics and very strong pain relief for about 4 months..... wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy .
This time it's as severe or as painful, but I'll likely need a doctor to see it and get me onto antibiotics if it is indeed cellulitis. (My aunti has had it a few times , so had has my mom-in-law, all were treated at home with antibiotics) .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Back home after a stay in hospital (cellutitis , then caught influenza A in the hospital).

Had a fall and couldn't get up off the floor as too weak (leg infection) , and wound up calling ambulance who got me back Into bed, and got the GP out to see me , told I needed to be admitted to hospital (cellulitis of right leg and stomache) , spent 2 weeks bedbound on intravenous antibiotics , then a week on oral , but caught influenza A and this set me back.

Got so fed up with hospital food and the bed (which I found impossible to get comfortable and move about in (too narrow and too grippy) and so fed up with having to wait all the time to use the bottle or pan (when in bed) or to be allowed to use the walking frame to go the to WC that I discharged myself (against medical advise) so I could go home and take control of my life again and move about more.
Put onto a intensive diet while in hospital , lost a lot weight (was 215kg, last weight was 204kg), continuing this to get more weight off .... will be able to eat one normal meal on Xmas day).

My mobility declined while in hospital, too much laying in bed , and not allowed to do as much walking (all be it with walking frame) while there (had to have a nurse present to move about and they were too busy all the time).
just had a visit from the visiting physio who was very pleased with my walking (even if I'm using the walls and furnature to keep myself stable at the moment), will be hiring an a-frame walker to help in the short term.
Came out of hospital less fit than I was before I got sick with cellulitis.

My wife has also been struggling to get Rex, Peppa and Toothless to eat while I was absent , Toothless has virtually eaten nothing while I was away. I was very worried about them too and really missing them.

Back home on Tuesday and they all enjoyed daddy snuggles and I gave them all some crickets (Toothless was very hungry).... despite his fasting for over 3 weeks he still has fat pads on his head and he looks OK, but is shedding.
Peppa shed while I was in hospital.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Thanks for the update. I was a little worried about you and was going to see if anyone had heard from you lately.

It sucks that you have to go through all this. I'm rooting for you. The walker sounds like it will help you gain some of your mobility back.

Keep us updated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So sorry to hear how sick you were + hope for a speedy recovery. Too bad they didn't allow your therapy dragons in to see you + boost your spirits !! I can just see you leaving hospital early, dragging a trail of bandages + I.V bags behind to get back to your family. :lol:

In all seriousness, I hope you continue to improve. I know that you know, but be extra careful with where the beardies have access to, like areas that you sit in direct contact [ where your wounds/irritated skin is ] Also extra careful to wash hands scrupulously before changing any dressings or attending to those areas.

On a different note, I saw the last pics of your scaly family and they are looking great ! Looks like Toothless is a leatherback.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
All eating well (FOR ME).

Peppa and Rex both love their superworms , my wife used the rest of the silkworms and then discovered my stash of Rex's superworms when she ran out if silkworms (a lot of which made cocoons before she used them as lizard food), Rex and Peppa only need to see superworm sitting on my chest infront of them to snatch the worm up and gobble it down. Toothless isn't so keen on the worms but will eat them if given them by me by hand.

Been giving all three one feed of live insects per day since coming back home. No poos except from Rex since I got home.

Peppa only did one poo while I was in hospital , and Toothless hadn't pooed since before (but hardly ate - missing me).
But neither seem sick or impacted, and no bbing, and plently active so I think they are OK and if no poo by Sunday I'll give the pair a dose of olive oil to help get things moving since they will now food in their tummys.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
AHBD":31u1hymz said:
So sorry to hear how sick you were + hope for a speedy recovery. Too bad they didn't allow your therapy dragons in to see you + boost your spirits !! I can just see you leaving hospital early, dragging a trail of bandages + I.V bags behind to get back to your family. :lol:

In all seriousness, I hope you continue to improve. I know that you know, but be extra careful with where the beardies have access to, like areas that you sit in direct contact [ where your wounds/irritated skin is ] Also extra careful to wash hands scrupulously before changing any dressings or attending to those areas.

On a different note, I saw the last pics of your scaly family and they are looking great ! Looks like Toothless is a leatherback.

Been using F10 handwipes after handling the beardies.

The A frame walker was delivered this afternoon, have it on a 3 month hire ($50), literally zoomed down the hallway with it , the visiting physio was very pleased with how I used it. (No more using the walls and furnature to steady myself).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa lost 12.5g while I was in hospital , she's now 439g, loves superworms even more than crickets now. She also shed while I was in hospital.

Toothless, despite refusing to eat while I was in hospital, has managed to gain 4.3g , he's now 359.4g.
He's now in shed.
And ... he just pooed ! Whoopie! .... good boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom