What's a good wood to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Ok, the hubby wants to build a tank! (Long story) but he does not want to use melanmie (sp?) he wants to use wood. I have been told that pine & ceadar are no good to use. What wood would be good...ash? oak? Something else? I got the crossfire viv instructions so this will probably not be till next year but getting there!

Please let me know, thanks!

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
If it is sealed inside and outside, both should be fine. It is the oils from the wood that cause respiratory problems in bds, as well as pretty much every other species. Other things look nicer, but you can always stain the pine before you seal it.

FoothillBeardie

Hatchling Member
I know you said he doesnt want to use it but I vote for melamine or real wood (ie not plywood) if you can find a actual lumber yard local you can get any size you want. (and by actual lumber yard I mean not home depot / lowes). If its the chipping that he is not ok with on melamine tell him to raise the blade height all the way up and move at a medium pace. And he needs to remember if he uses plywood he is going to want to edge band it the same as melamine.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Real wood is awesome. I used oak plywood and edge banded the visible edges. Turned out great and a lot less than real wood. I sealed the whole thing using waterbased polyurethane.

I also grouted tile in so no liquids will warp the wood. I used porcelain tile and sealed the grout with water based sealant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom