What to use other than sand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My baby bearded dragon currently has sand in his viv but obviously with him being a baby, it isn't a good idea to have sand. What can I get other than sand & where from? I'm from the UK by the way. What is the best option?

Gail

BD.org Addict
You can use kitchen roll, it doesn't look very nice but is easy to keep clean. Another option is some kind of slate tile, use the stuff that is kinda rough. Do you have non adhesive shelf liner? Its a thick spongy liner you use in kitchen shelves to keep dishes from sliding around. You can cut it to fit and its cheap.

RockyPlusBen

Hatchling Member
Definitely tiles.
I got my tiles from Home Depot and I forgot what kind they are but they are kind of rough so that they dull down the beardie's nails. Really easy to clean and scrub. You may have to trim them down to the size your want them, but after that just place them in and if you need to lift them back out for whatever reason, you can.
I've tried sand, paper towels, the pieces of crap mat things, and tiles are by far my favorite.

Hope this helps,
Ben

dnrtn2342

I use slate tiles, I covered the bottom of a 20 gallon and 100 gallon tank for 30 bucks. Easy to clean, looks really nice as well.

RockyPlusBen

Hatchling Member
dnrtn2342":2ov6nyn8 said:
I use slate tiles, I covered the bottom of a 20 gallon and 100 gallon tank for 30 bucks. Easy to clean, looks really nice as well.

SLATE TILES! Yes, that is what I used.

RockyPlusBen

Hatchling Member
Slate tile. It's rough so that it dulls down their nails and is also very easy to clean and scrub. Pretty inexpensive as well.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moved here from General Discussion forum. I also merged your 2 threads to make it easier for you and other members to follow.

Bradleyv1714

Hatchling Member
I first started using sand with my beardies... Then after joining this site I removed the sand, tried Paper towels but my mom was bothering me and nagging me sooooo much about the amount of paper towels that were being used that I bought a roll of shelf liner but it looked so ugly that I took it out and went shopping for tile! so I went to home depot and bought Slate tile which I laid it down on top of sand so that the tile would not move or scrape the glass bottom!

I am also in UK. Have recently changed from sand.
I got some travertine natural stone tiles from Home Base - really pretty colour. i prefered them to ceramic tiles as they were all too slippy. these have a natural rougher surface that should wear down nails, whilst being smooth enough to clean ok.
did have to seal the tiles before use as otherwise they are too pourous.

think the tiles were about £16 - enough to do a 3ft by 2ft floor with about 3 tiles left over. were hard to cut though!! tile sealant kit was £10 but also had cleaner and polish in which we didn't need so could probably get this cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom