What to do when losing power in the winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Hello,
I've been wondering what do we do about lost power in the winter? Winter is quickly approaching and though I have CHE's coming, that won't help if we loose power. Last year we lost power for a day and the year before last we lost power for three days (before my reptile owning). My grandparents who I live with do not have a backup generator. Is there anything I can to help keep my beardies warm? I assume feeding them would not be a smart option during this time either, correct?
Also, I have three leopard geckos. Anyone out there know what I can do for them in their time of need?
Thanks!
~Liz

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
I live in NH and do have a generator, but have often wondered the same thing as my generator isn't hard wired to all circuits and are choosy about what to run when we do lose power.. I haven't looked into it, but I'm sure they must have battery powered lighting/heating of some sort and I've always kept those foot/hand warmers on hand too just in case.. I know they can get really hot so maybe wrapping a few in a thin dishcloth and laying your beardies on them to let them know that's their temporary resource should work well, you may not be able to provide a light source, but the warmers should get you by in a pinch.. as far as I know their shelf life is pretty long so next time you're near a Walmart stock up so you'll feel more @ ease when the winter does hit.. so happy I can answer a question for YOU as you've helped me out w/ a PM on a subject I was worried about and put me at ease.. have a good morning!! :wink: :p :) :D

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks, Jacody.

I have a bunch of hand warmers actually from years ago so I'll check out the exp date on them. Thanks! Will look into battery powered lamps than can deal with flood lights. Thanks again!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Liz....if you can't get a backup generator, the best option is to order a bunch of heat packs....maybe 10 -12. There are heat packs sold in Walmart or sporting good stores [ in most places ] the brand is called " Hot Hands ", they come in 3-5 packs and they get much hotter than the ones that are made specifically for shipping animals, so they will work in a pinch but they must be carefully wrapped in newspaper so as not to burn the reptile. The better ones to get are Uni heat brand made for shipping purposes and they come in 20,30, 40, 60 + 72 hour. You can get these from LLL Reptile, or Superior shipping supplies or similar place.With heat packs, the best way to use them would be in a smaller box rather than in the beardie's tank, where it would not really raise the temp., it would just be warmer if the dragon laid directly on it. But in a box,1-2 of the packs [ again, wrapped in a bit of newspaper because it keeps the heat pack itself warmer ] could raise the temp. to keep the dragon safe, and being in a cool dark place would safely put the beardie [ probably ] into a brumation like state where they wouldn't need any food or water and would survive easily for a week or more. Of course you would have to switch the packs after they individually lose their heat every depending on which kind you have. This method would work well for larger juvies + up, but babies are more delicate and need more care.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks, AHBD. Thank god no more babies in this house! :lol:

Still need to figure out the leo situation because they don't brumate and they like to run...a lot :lol:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I didn't see the info Jacody posted, she had the same idea and I didn't see until after I posted :) Anyway, I guess your leos would just have to put up with the same treatment....as long as they are hardy they should get through a couple days of hardship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom