What live food can i feed my baby bearded dragon daily?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guy's, another question. What insects can I feed my baby bearded dragon daily? At the minute he's on locusts, is there anything else he can have?

Thankyou!

ofcourseilikepasta

Hatchling Member
I think for a younger one personally I would choose either very small crickets or very small dubia roaches. You can get crickets easily at almost any pet store but dubia roaches you would probably need to order online. I feed my Gary dubia roaches as a staple :) He loves them and they're super nutritious.

DO NOT feed your bearded dragon mealworms. They're soooo difficult for them to digest. It's tempting because they're so accessible, but don't do it. If you're comfortable with worms from what I've heard, phoenix worms are the best. Don't take my word on that though, I don't use worms with Gary personally.

amaridawkins

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice and I will invest in some dubai roaches. My dragon has had some mealworms today but he's been to the toilet too so I think he's okay with digesting them but thanks again

Beardienatic

Hatchling Member
Hi! Firstly, congratulations on your new baby! How old is s/he? And what is his/her name?

There is quite a variety of insects that they can have, just remember that they absolutely HAVE to be smaller than the space between the eyes, otherwise they can get impaction, which is quite serious.
-Crickets
-Roaches (Dubia are the best one, may also be know as "Woodies". They are apparently very easy to breed, so you want to give that a shot, just find out if they are legal in your area, in some places they are illegal)
-Silkworms (they are the only exception to the "smaller than the space between the eyes" rule that I know of, becaus ethey are very soft-bodied, and quite nutritious. I don't have my beardie yet, but I hvae spent HOURS and HOURS researching them, but silkworms will be my main staple insects, along with smaller portions of crickets and roaches)
-Butterworms & waxwoms (they are very high in fat, so are only a treat or used to fatten up a dragon)
-Phoenix worms/calci worms (they are very very good, as they are high in calcium, so you don't even need to dust them with calcium, but still with multivitamin, but depending on where you live, you might or might not be able to get them. They are not available in Australia for one.)
-Mealworms (they are widely debated if they should be fed at all, because they have a hard shell so they are harder to digest, and can also cause impaction, but they should definitely NOT be fed to a baby or juvenile beardie)

And if you are wondering about greens, this is the best website, is has tons of great info! http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Wish you the best with your baby, feel free to ask as many questions as you want!
PS we love seeig pictures! :wink:

amaridawkins

Original Poster
Wow, you've definitely done your research haha!! Thankyou so much it has really helped. My beardie is called Cecil and when are you getting yours?

Beardienatic

Hatchling Member
That's a cool name!! I will be getting mine in March next year. Feels like ages away... We are moving soon and going on a long holiday, so I thought it would just be best to get him once we get back and be able to settle him in properly. :)

amaridawkins

Original Poster
Thankyou and where about's are you from if you don't mind me asking? And yeah it might be better if you wait like you said :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom