What got you into bearded dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I have a second set-up at school for my special needs dragon. She goes everywhere with me. I'm thinking of getting a another set-up at school to rotate my other 3 dragons through now and then so they don't get too bored at home. It would be rather challenging to transport two, though, especially when my 3 healthy ones are pretty active and fast.

I think 95% of us bought the crappy set-up. You are not alone.

vycine

Esther19":mwpbtjq5 said:
I have a second set-up at school for my special needs dragon. She goes everywhere with me. I'm thinking of getting a another set-up at school to rotate my other 3 dragons through now and then so they don't get too bored at home. It would be rather challenging to transport two, though, especially when my 3 healthy ones are pretty active and fast.

I think 95% of us bought the crappy set-up. You are not alone.

How do you travel with yours? If I put him in a critter keeper he scratches like crazy to get out. If I put him on his leash with his blanket sometimes he acts like a crazy lizard and runs and hides.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
My girl has a pinched nerve in her neck which makes it difficult for her to move. When I transport the others, I have a plastic bin I put them in (Only 1 at a time, of course.)

KahliLizard

Hatchling Member
I had gone to Petco to get some fish food for my African Dwarf frog. (freeze dried bloodworms, so yummy :) ) while there, I was looking at the lizards, and my mom pointed out to my the bearded dragons. she told me that that was the only lizard she would let me get if I wanted one. so, I took a closer look. at first, I was thinking that they were ugly, and not very cute at all. but I go home, and did more research. after about a month, I decided I wanted one for sure. I did more research, figured out what to buy, how much I would need to buy it, and all the other stuff. then when I was nearing the $250 I estimated I would need for it, I saw an add for the reptile rally. that day of the reptile rally, I went and got my bearded dragon. I have been with him ever since. :D
oh, and yes, I did buy the crappy starter kit to begin with. who didn't buy it?

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
Four years ago I started volunteering at a nature center doing reptile care. I fell in love with the bearded dragon there and knew I had to have one! I am so grateful for my volunteer job as it has ignited a love in me for reptiles in general and completely changed my life :)

bagheera2

My mom said i couldn't have a dog because i can't take it to college so she said "what about a bearded dragon?" and i said "i dont know, maybe" and now i have a tiny little beardie that has completely stolen my heart. still don't know if i can take him to college :p

BabySkales

Hatchling Member
I didn't buy the crappy started kit.. Lol I went in blind like eveyone else but the sales guy at the reptile store told me not to waste my money. I guess I got lucky

I got into beardeds from looking at a book on reptiles and amphibians. This was 27 years ago. I tried to find any in the US but they were impossible to find. Called several places in Austraila to see if I could have some exported. That was a waste of time, they do not export any animals. A couple years of looking, and found some in Germany. They were said to be CB which was very unlikely. They were probably WC smuggled animals. I bought two reported to be a mated pair. They were actually two males which was horrible because I payed $600 each plus another $150 for shipping. I could not find a female for another couple years. Finally was able to purchase an adult female from Weis Reptiles for $450. I believe they bought a coloney from germany as well (about the same time I bought mine) .
For several years dragons were hard to find and babies sold for $300-$600 depending on color. Thankfully my animals were showing yellows and orange. I sold them at reptile shows for a bit less than $300 each. A few years later prices dropped to $150 for babies. A few years later they were $75 each. I stopped breeding them when prices dropped to $60. It cost too much to feed the babies and I was losing money.

My husband got our beardie at Petco without knowing much about them and with a crappy set up of course. I told him to get a better looking reptile because I thought they looked flat, dull and boring so I wanted him to get a leopard gecko.

After holding all the dragons he settled on Falkor who seemed more relaxed when being held. Now get this...my husband loved Falkor the first few months but guess who bought all the updated equipment with my hard earned checks and who cleans up the poopy mess and REALLY takes care of Falkor? Yup ME!

My husband decided to give me Falkor but anytime we are at the store guess who gets to hold him and show him off to people who approach? MY HUSBAND!

Imagine if we had actual kids? But I adore Falkor and now he is the cutest thing in my home with scales. <3

luigismom

I never had any interest in reptiles and avoided the cricket bin in pet stores (I'm scared of bugs). So when my nephew asked me to look after his bearded dragon for a couple of weeks (and feed it crickets) I was a bit hesitant. I had to look up what a beardie even looked like. Well it was love at first sight when I finally saw Luigi. She was about 3 months old (they thought she was a he at that point), she was very curious, and friendly. It was the best two weeks and I was sad to part with her when my family got back. But destiny intervened (after too many escaped crickets and nagging the kids to feed/play with her) my sister was more than happy to hand her over to me shortly after, including the crappy setup they bought at Petsmart :lol: . That was over a year ago, my bug phobia has gotten better and Luigi is still one of the best pets I've ever had.

ShiverBug

Like many of you, it was a particular beardie that got me hooked. I always had a curiosity about them, but was intimidated by their diet. Fresh veggies? Fresh fruits? That was better than I ate! But I did like looking at them in my local pet store, Pet Paradise in Virginia Beach. They specialize in reptiles and birds. Real nice "mom-n-pop" place.

A baby came in that was kind of... well, let's say she starts up a lot of conversation. At the time I owned gecko's, so I was in the reptile department all the time. I noticed one of the employee's putting lotion on the baby, and inquired why? They explained to me that she was a silk back, and what that meant. (She was also hypo translucent, just a little side-note.) The thing that got me, tho, was they kept "teasing" her, making funny comments typical to guys. Silkback's have no scales, they have very smooth skin, so they made jokes about she looked like a "burn victim," and the usual. All good natured, of course. I jumped in on her defense; I like underdogs. I proclaimed if they kept calling her "burn victim," they were going to give her a complex! We all laughed and I found out that they were actually sort of creeped out by her. She is very interesting to look at, and to touch, but even I have to admit, it does resemble burn scars.

I loved her immediately, but again, fresh veggies? Roaches? My level of skill was still at the gecko "powered" diet and crickets. So, for a year I came into the shop weekly - even when I did not need to pick up any supplies - and went straight back to my reptile guys. "Have you guys lotion-ed the pretty girl today?" "Oh, you mean the burn victim? Let's see, I think XYZ lotion-ed her last week, maybe..." (they teased me, pretending they were not really interested in her care, tho I know they always treat all their animals with the utmost care. I know this, because of the grins on their faces every time they relayed this information). I would then of course act indignant and demand "Bring that baby out here!" They would unlock her cage and point to the tub of Utter Butter they used to lotion her.

(Little side note, if you are not familiar. Because of the lack of scales, silkbacks require special care - it is technically a "handicap," as a silkback would not survive in the wild. They need lotion almost every day as a baby, and every week as adults to retain the moisture in their skin and help in shedding. This is why they can be controversial.)

I would spend time petting her, applying the lotion, and I even tried to get her sold for the guys. Everyone who saw me holding her wanted to know about her, why she looked like that, why she needed lotion - I became pretty well versed in her and normal beardie care before even owning one. My "sales tactic" was double edged. I was sad, because if she left the store with someone else I would never see her again, BUT if she was already gone, I wouldn't be tempted to buy her anymore! Also, during this period, I insisted the guys start called her (thought it was a him) Krueger, which I found aptly fitting. Krueger was my favorite villain as a child, and he DID have burn scars all over his body.

After many months, the guys started asking when I was going to take Kruger/Burn Victim home. But, her care + she was really expensive (hypo translucent hypo, remember) + husband was already frustrated with the number of animals at home... I "helped" the guys tend to her needs for almost a year, and bonded with her very well. Finally, after pleading with the husband, agreeing to severely cut down the number of reptiles, and the discovery of a powdered diet for Beardies (you can even make it into a "stew," or jelly like concoction for consumption), I caved and brought her home. I have never regretted the decision. She rides with me back to the pet store on warm days and everyone loves seeing her again; I take her to pet and reptile expo's, and she always generates a lot of attention there, and I am more than happy to tell people about her and other Beardies, let them touch her and see how soft she is, and she seems to tolerate the attention well. She tells me when she has had enough by climbing from my shoulder onto the top of my head. But she is very patient and mellow, she always has been. She is a wonderful ambassador for her species and mutation.

Well, that's Krueger's story. Sorry, didn't mean to write a book, here. :oops:

Creepella

I got into beardies by accident. I had looked at them in pet shops, and had had a coworker who always showed off pics of his beardie, but I'd never seriously considered adopting one.

I had ordered a couple of new crested geckos and needed an extra terrarium. So, I checked the local online ads and found one for sale at a good price. The seller warned me that the cage wouldn't be cleaned out. Fine, I went to pick it up. Once I arrived I found more than I expected in that cage - a large, sad-looking bearded dragon! I first thought it was dead. The seller told me he had recently been given this lizard but didn't want it, and had previously arranged for someone else to take it, but they didn't show up, would I like it for free? I could see this poor dragon was neglected. The sand he was on was filthy and smelly, and so deep he couldn't walk. His water dish was filthy and nearly empty. He was in a tall cage whose floor space was too small for him to even straighten his body. There was no sign of proper lighting, just one heat bulb. No hide, nothing but a small flat rock. He had an untouched bowl of food pellets, no sign of greens. I later found that the pellets were all stuck together and reeked, and a layer of mold was growing under them. Several crickets were running around the cage untouched. The saddest part was leaving with my cage and dragon, glancing over and seeing an identical cage, with identical neglected dragon! :angry5:

I knew I'd have to do some research as soon as I got home, to find out how to properly care for my poor dragon, but at least I knew I had a cage for him at home. Besides, I also knew of a local reptile rescue; if I couldn't meet his needs then they would probably take him. As long as he was getting out of the situation he was in! So I evicted my ball python from his 40 gal long tank and set him up in a tub enclosure where he's a lot happier now.

I was concerned my dragon was too sick and might die, so at first I tried not to get too attached. I didn't even want to give him a name in case I "jinxed" him! (Yes, dumb, I know) But I couldn't help but find him endearing as I've gotten to know him. So I'm keeping him, and his name is George. He now has his bigger tank, full lighting, clean newspaper substrate, hides and logs for basking, and a variety of fresh veggies and crickets each day. He gets baths every second day and has even been scrubbed gently with baby wash once. I'm still doing my research to find additional ways to spoil him!

ShiverBug":13fd0y9u said:
Well, that's Krueger's story. Sorry, didn't mean to write a book, here. :oops:

You can't leave the story like that! I need to see a photo of this awesome dragon of yours! She sounds amazing.

Creepella":3t7o7aej said:
I was concerned my dragon was too sick and might die, so at first I tried not to get too attached. I didn't even want to give him a name in case I "jinxed" him! (Yes, dumb, I know) But I couldn't help but find him endearing as I've gotten to know him. So I'm keeping him, and his name is George. He now has his bigger tank, full lighting, clean newspaper substrate, hides and logs for basking, and a variety of fresh veggies and crickets each day. He gets baths every second day and has even been scrubbed gently with baby wash once. I'm still doing my research to find additional ways to spoil him!

That poor dragon. Just because someone doesn't want it doesn't mean her had to be neglected. Thankfully you took him home and gave him a proper clean environment. He's very fortunate to have you in his life!

DesertIsis

I do not at all remember how I heard about beardies.
The only thing I can remember was wanting a lizard and my mom and step-dad telling me I had to do research on it and present my findings to them. So I worked on it for MONTHS! Came up with an excellent presentation with a powerpoint, handouts, and books. As soon as I got to the slide that said crickets, both of them chucked a ban-hammer at me T_T

So, once I moved out on my own (because even my dad wasn't crazy about the idea) I finally got one! Isis has been with me through many highs, lows, and moves. Actually, she's pretty excellent in a car! Doesn't even get scared by semi-trucks anymore!
My fiancé was pretty skeptical of her at first, but now he's crazy about her. Even wants another one, but we just don't have the room for 2.
Know of any breeders who have developed a nice line of black beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom