water crystals

Status
Not open for further replies.

sddragons

Juvie Member
I got my roach kit in today from the RoachGuy. One question. After making a whole gallon of water crystals, how do I store the remainder while I am using it to fill the water dish?

bigmac1

Juvie Member
you can just put them in a container and let them sit at room temperature, i usually put mine in the refrigerator in a sealed container or in some zip loc bags.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
I keep mine in a rubbermade type container with a tight lid so they don't dry out. Some put them in the fridge, but I don't see a need for it.

patrickb

Juvie Member
Room temp is fine. It is preferable to store them in an air tight container with a good lid to limit evaporation. They do evaporate like water. No worries if they do just add some more water and they will rehydrate, but it saves the hassle. The other benefit of the lid is to keep contaminants out of the crystals and other little creatures from crawling in and getting a drink.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I only make a small amount at a time using a couple phonix worm cups. I keep one by the cricket bin and one by the roach bin. I'm always adding water to the existing crystals in their dishes and only have to add new crystals about once a week.

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
most water crystals will last up to 2 years some will last longer but they are cheap enough that they can be replaced if need be

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
diggerdrake":431fe said:
most water crystals will last up to 2 years some will last longer but they are cheap enough that they can be replaced if need be

I keep mine in with crickets and they get gross. :puke: I prefer to throw mine out every other day and replace them!

1happymommy

Juvie Member
I only add a small amount to my dish and add water until it's right. I tried to make a gallon once and it did not turn out well.
Mine last about 2 weeks while I add water to it then I change it completly.

patrickb

Juvie Member
NegativeCreep":2646a said:
I keep mine in with crickets and they get gross. :puke: I prefer to throw mine out every other day and replace them!
Easy fix, quite replacing the water crystals and replace the crickets instead. :p j/k Crickets are like little poo machines that just don't stop. They foul up their crystals so fast I don't even bother with them anymore. Carrots are my mainstay moisture source for crickets usually.
1happymommy":2646a said:
I only add a small amount to my dish and add water until it's right. I tried to make a gallon once and it did not turn out well.
Mine last about 2 weeks while I add water to it then I change it completly.
If you ever decide you want to start making more at a time, just add a lot more water than what the directions call for. I always add excessive water and let them sit overnight. Then I drain off the excess and have perfectly hydrated crystals. If there is no water to drain off, I didn't add enough water. They big key is to let them hydrate for long enough. I think 8 hours is the recommended time. Adding the extra water to them during their use in the bins definitely helps to prolong their life and I do that myself.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
patrickb":7a760 said:
Easy fix, quite replacing the water crystals and replace the crickets instead. :p j/k

hehe As soon as I get the start-up $, that's the plan. I, honestly, can't wait! I know that I will spend what I need in crickets, but the crickets are functional right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom