Viv pics only thread

ChRiS_13":3eie973g said:
my new viv!!
CIMG1685.jpg

CIMG1684.jpg

Love the wooden "bridge." What is supporting it? Looks great!

spikeithard

Hatchling Member
Here is some picture updates on what I am working on now.... almost done the styrofoam part. next is grouting and painting, then mod podging the life out of it.

Am I spoiling my little guy with all this work..... oh ya :)

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

2011_0924_134808.jpg

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
spikeithard":20rpxp4u said:

Wow. Really nice job on the layout/stacking! What did you use to stick it all together?

And anyone have any advice on building a faux background without the use of grout? I've seen videos using kitty litter clay and such. I need something safe/organic that can withstand humidity levels between 70-90%.

spikeithard

Hatchling Member
thanks
I just used basic polystyrene then cut out pieces the size i want. then I stuck them together using 'no more nails - foamboard kind'. In the US it might be liquid nails or something. then just use a light dessert coloured non-sanded grout to coat it all. then paint accordingly to how you want it then seal it all with non toxic mod podge. easy really. the hardest part is deciding how you want the layout to be. can wait to let him go in this new huge enclosure. he will get lost in there being only 10-12 weeks old lol

Im also using as you can tell a front and right cricket channel. its a space to keep the crickets mostly at bay (like a feeding area). some will get up on the top but hopefully Orion gets to them before they get a chance to hide. Im placing bets that crickets CAN climb a smooth mod podge wall lol

as for without using grout. sorry couldnt help you.I dont know why you wouldnt want to use it. its great stuff

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
spikeithard":12j8woeh said:
thanks
I just used basic polystyrene then cut out pieces the size i want. then I stuck them together using 'no more nails - foamboard kind'. In the US it might be liquid nails or something. then just use a light dessert coloured non-sanded grout to coat it all. then paint accordingly to how you want it then seal it all with non toxic mod podge. easy really. the hardest part is deciding how you want the layout to be. can wait to let him go in this new huge enclosure. he will get lost in there being only 10-12 weeks old lol

Im also using as you can tell a front and right cricket channel. its a space to keep the crickets mostly at bay (like a feeding area). some will get up on the top but hopefully Orion gets to them before they get a chance to hide. Im placing bets that crickets CAN climb a smooth mod podge wall lol

as for without using grout. sorry couldnt help you.I dont know why you wouldnt want to use it. its great stuff

Thanks for the info. Yes, I think I remember using liquid nails when I first made one. You did a good job!

I don't want to use grout because after 3 years of use, his nails have ripped off the area where the Styrofoam meets on the right side. Grout is also harder to work with when wet and makes that sucker heavy when I have to clean it. I also tried to make one for my skink cage, but the extreme water use and humidity that goes into their environment did not hold up too well.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
spikeithard":rrrpp6gh said:
looks great... good luck with the tiles though. my BD hated it. too slippery

Hello spikeithard,
Just wanted to pass on the fact that unglazed, (rough) tiles work better than glazed ones. The purpose of the tiles are to help file down the beardies nails, (as well as easy clean-up, etc.) so glazed tiles are just slippery and don't do the trick. Hope that helps........

mozzy9511

Hatchling Member
mozzy9511":3gas5w97 said:
Here is a viv we built our new baby from an old piece of furniture, styrofoam, and grout.
Still needs a bit of decorating but the hard part is finished.

CAGE.jpg

Just a warning to everyone out there considering making a custom viv..
I know it might look good but I wouldn't suggest anyone make something like this unless you want to waste your time and money!
We spent almost two weeks making this and yesterday I had to take it all down. Because...
First of all, my little girl keeps climbing it and finding the tiniest little crevice to hide in and then she wont come out!!
Second, trying to clean poop and pee off of it is nearly impossible.
Also, it gets really really hot. And, it takes up a lot of space.
I think it looks really good and you can make things out of it to put in your viv but like I said I don't suggest doing your whole viv in it like we did.
Just wanted to warn everyone! lol

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom