Viv pics only thread

Here is mine. I`am new to all this so hope its right.

viv3.jpg

viv2.jpg

viv1.jpg

EAGLES

Looks good to me. Melamine, basking spot and full length uvb lamp.
Is your diet good and are the basking temps good?
Is that all melamine? or are the sides different?
Sand is tricky with baby dragons, specific playsands are non-toxic and also small enough to pass through.

EAGLES":3ctxemew said:
Looks good to me. Melamine, basking spot and full length uvb lamp.
Is your diet good and are the basking temps good?
Is that all melamine? or are the sides different?
Sand is tricky with baby dragons, specific playsands are non-toxic and also small enough to pass through.

At the moment he has just had some little crickets, the women in the shop said he doesnt need anything for the next few days, but what I`ve read babies eat everyday. So I gave him some which he wolfed down. I put some parsley in there too. He ate as much as he wanted anyway and was chasing them around the tank.

The basking temp is around the 100 mark but I`ve ordered a Habistat dimming thermostat so I can make sure. I have some stick on temp gagues and a proper temp gague behind all that green near the basking area, but I dont know how accurate they are.

He seems to love the heat that its giving off anyway, he`s perched half way up the log towards the basking lamp at the moment sleeping.

The sand stuff is called calci something, I think. I saw that with babies you shouldnt use stuff like that as their bellies can become compacted when they eat it, but I went to two places and they said it is what they use and will be fine. Not sure about that but fingers crossed.

Sorry for my ignorance but I dont know what melamine is.

Thanks
Jim

EAGLES

Melamine is a type of wood which is covered/sealed. Usually it is white. I ask because anyother type of wood needs to be sealed if it isn't already with a polyurethane.
The silica sand can be dangerous for beardies, especially if you feed them in the vivarium.
I personally would either replace it with another surface(ceramic or porcelain tiles--even paper towels for a short term fix) -OR- feed your dragon in a seperate container with no sand in it.
100F is good, I try to shoot for 105F at the warmest possible basking spot.
They do eat daily.
I feed my baby anywhere from 6-10 small crickets 2x a day. I also try to feed collard greens, mustard greens, or dandelion greens for two or three of his 14 meals per week.
Don't forget to dust any and all foods with rep-cal calcium supplement with Vitamin D3.
Some better Fruits and Veggies are:
-Butternut Squash
-Green Beans
-Cactus Leaves(Prickly Pear)
-Papaya
-Tomatoes(not much health wise, but good for coloration of beardie)

EAGLES":5wcc5a5f said:
Melamine is a type of wood which is covered/sealed. Usually it is white. I ask because anyother type of wood needs to be sealed if it isn't already with a polyurethane.
The silica sand can be dangerous for beardies, especially if you feed them in the vivarium.
I personally would either replace it with another surface(ceramic or porcelain tiles--even paper towels for a short term fix) -OR- feed your dragon in a seperate container with no sand in it.
100F is good, I try to shoot for 105F at the warmest possible basking spot.
They do eat daily.
I feed my baby anywhere from 6-10 small crickets 2x a day. I also try to feed collard greens, mustard greens, or dandelion greens for two or three of his 14 meals per week.
Don't forget to dust any and all foods with rep-cal calcium supplement with Vitamin D3.
Some better Fruits and Veggies are:
-Butternut Squash
-Green Beans
-Cactus Leaves(Prickly Pear)
-Papaya
-Tomatoes(not much health wise, but good for coloration of beardie)

lol oh well I`am suitably worried now.

The logs are all from a pet shop but the only one I would say is coated in anything is that big shiny one.

The people in the shop said the sand was special stuff that is easily digested if it ever ate any too, I`ll put something else in then.

Mine is shedding his skin at the moment too. I`ve seen people give theirs a bath to help it along, but his is coming off fine by the looks of it. I`ve noticed a lot more coming off since I got him this afternoon.

Thanks
Jim

EAGLES

Jim, before you take it out....post about it in the substrate or diy forum. To make sure.(it may very well be good)
The wood....this is tougher. I personally would slap on a few coats of minwax polycrylic, but you should ask about that in the same thread as above.
Sheds typically go in stages, we bath them to help it and to clean them.(some do it once a week or so, some everyday, some in between)

Plenty of great info on here, keep searching the net and here and make sure to start that new thread.

EAGLES":33ykhgk3 said:
Jim, before you take it out....post about it in the substrate or diy forum. To make sure.(it may very well be good)
The wood....this is tougher. I personally would slap on a few coats of minwax polycrylic, but you should ask about that in the same thread as above.
Sheds typically go in stages, we bath them to help it and to clean them.(some do it once a week or so, some everyday, some in between)

Plenty of great info on here, keep searching the net and here and make sure to start that new thread.

Ok will do. Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions.

Cheers
Jim

mrbeardie

this may sound like a dumb question but i do not know where you get this or how you make this type of background for the cage? any information would be awesome!
DSCN8350.jpg

EAGLES

My guesstimate is that that is a .75" polystyrene foam covered in i'm gonna guess sanded grout with a dye(don't know this part)
The carves are made with a knife before the grout is applied.
The foam itself is adhered/glued to the wood walls.(i used ge silicone i for this)
The shelf on the left seems to be melamine. The end is not taped though, so hopefully and with the looks of this really nice viv it is, it is sealed with urethane.(on the edge)
The protrusions on the back wall are pieces of polystyrene grouted for some depth and cliff/rock look.
Then there are vents.(*screened on one side)
The the lights.
Then porcelain or ceramic textured tiles for a floor.
Then I believe he made that cool basking spot on the right where his/her beardie is in the picture out of cut pieces leading up to a 12"x12" tile.

I must say, this is a GREAT diy viv!

mrbeardie":mk9p6gfo said:
this may sound like a dumb question but i do not know where you get this or how you make this type of background for the cage? any information would be awesome!
DSCN8350.jpg

Wow, I really love what they have done with the place :p

I bet that lucky BD loves it.

falcor33

Juvie Member
hello all, here's falcor's home, she's been in there since january, and she's very happy.

falcor and i like things very simple....but elegant! :D

jan2010-c.jpg

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemommma
Top Bottom