Vinyl flooring

Heathermc12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bubba
Basically everything I have learned about my bearded dragon has been through utilizing google. I use to use carpet but read that it can hold a lot of bacteria. My bearded dragon is about 7 months old and I’ve read that tile flooring is better for your dragon - however - after installing the brand traffic master vinyl tile from Home Depot of course then I see how the vinyl is bad pertaining to releasing VOC fumes. I messaged Home Depot and asked about if this specific vinyl flooring is toxic under heat and was told that this vinyl brand has a non toxic seal so it’s low in VOCs and off gassing. When I asked up to what degree - he stated it does not give that information. Basically I’m wondering if this would still be okay or do I need to tear it up and replace with something else?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I personally err on the side of caution, if i can't prove something is safe it has to go. Textured ceramic tile is a good option. What ever you use it needs to have enough texture fir your beardie to walk comfortably.
I think home depot or lowes either one will cut the tile for you if you give them the dimensions.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Basically everything I have learned about my bearded dragon has been through utilizing google. I use to use carpet but read that it can hold a lot of bacteria. My bearded dragon is about 7 months old and I’ve read that tile flooring is better for your dragon - however - after installing the brand traffic master vinyl tile from Home Depot of course then I see how the vinyl is bad pertaining to releasing VOC fumes. I messaged Home Depot and asked about if this specific vinyl flooring is toxic under heat and was told that this vinyl brand has a non toxic seal so it’s low in VOCs and off gassing. When I asked up to what degree - he stated it does not give that information. Basically I’m wondering if this would still be okay or do I need to tear it up and replace with something else?
I have it in my enclosures since October and haven’t had any issues.

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
I have used ceramic tile for ages, but it MAY have lead to arthritic concerns for a couple of my dragons.

As this may have been a possibility, when I made my new viv's I used decking vinyl sheet, bonus is it is u/v/heat resistant, textured and has some soft cushioning. However, it is important to gas off any vinyl that you do use. The easiest way to do this is to place it out in the sun or outside for a while. If you have a garage or spare room to lay it out in that works to. You want to be able to not smell the vinyl anymore. I had mine gas off inside (a garage) and outside for at least 3 months before placing in the viv. Been using this now for at least 3 years with no issues.

Last edited:

gabshire

Basically everything I have learned about my bearded dragon has been through utilizing google. I use to use carpet but read that it can hold a lot of bacteria. My bearded dragon is about 7 months old and I’ve read that tile flooring is better for your dragon - however - after installing the brand traffic master vinyl tile from Home Depot of course then I see how the vinyl is bad pertaining to releasing VOC fumes. I messaged Home Depot and asked about if this specific vinyl flooring is toxic under heat and was told that this vinyl brand has a non toxic seal so it’s low in VOCs and off gassing. When I asked up to what degree - he stated it does not give that information. Basically I’m wondering if this would still be okay or do I need to tear it up and replace with something else? basketball stars
I haven't experienced any problems since October when I placed it in my enclosures.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom