Very Sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonxxxx

Hatchling Member
the guy has had this beardie for at least a year maybe two, and still knows nothing, he's the kind of person that if he had a dog would never get the dogs shots, never groom it, and feed it uncooked spaghetti, and think everything is fine. when you have a living creature in your care whether it be a fish, a bird, a dog, cat, or a reptile you have a responsibilty to make that animal has happy and comfortable as possible. so i will reassess my first critique, and say he's a irresponsible dufus.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
dragonxxxx":2whefnrw said:
the guy has had this beardie for at least a year maybe two, and still knows nothing, he's the kind of person that if he had a dog would never get the dogs shots, never groom it, and feed it uncooked spaghetti, and think everything is fine. when you have a living creature in your care whether it be a fish, a bird, a dog, cat, or a reptile you have a responsibilty to make that animal has happy and comfortable as possible. so i will reassess my first critique, and say he's a irresponsible dufus.

Doesn't really matter how long he has had the animal so long as someone out there (whomever it is) has told him that what he is doing care wise is ok he feels he is justified.

If I were the OP I would not suggest harassing this guy about his animal cause at the end of the day it is his animal and you really have no rights to it or how it is care for. Its not a dog or cat so miss-treatment is not cut and dry. Basically you will have no way to prove your case. Trust me I have been there and done that. I almost got put into jail over a guy that had some monitors that he was severely miss-treating. No what the local ASPCA told me? There was nothing they could do about it.

dragonxxxx

Hatchling Member
who has told this guy that the care he was giving was okay, he just takes care of the beardie however he feels, without any regards to the beardie. i guess his favorite line would be ignorance is bliss

spyder79

Extreme Poster
dragonxxxx":23rxm107 said:
who has told this guy that the care he was giving was okay, he just takes care of the beardie however he feels, without any regards to the beardie. i guess his favorite line would be ignorance is bliss

Im sure he got his care method from whomever he purchased the dragon from that is typically how it works.

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
spyder79":3ip1wlbc said:
If I were the OP I would not suggest harassing this guy about his animal cause at the end of the day it is his animal and you really have no rights to it or how it is care for. Its not a dog or cat so miss-treatment is not cut and dry. Basically you will have no way to prove your case. Trust me I have been there and done that. I almost got put into jail over a guy that had some monitors that he was severely miss-treating. No what the local ASPCA told me? There was nothing they could do about it.
i agree with this. to a lot of people, if you tell them that they're taking care of their pets improperly, you might as well be telling them that they don't know how to raise their kids. most people don't take those types of comments very well and will immediately go on the defensive. the only situation where it would be proper to correct someone would be if they came to you seeking advice. most people don't appreciate being given unwarranted advice.

dragonxxxx

Hatchling Member
i know we bag on the lack of knowledge pet shop people have, but come on, what pet shop on mars would give no lighting no heat, and earthworms for a diet, and thats it. there are cruel people out there, and i will give people the benefit of the doubt, but this is ridiculous. it's funny but i've just commented on this guys lack of intelligence and people defend him, but one person posted the guy should die, and noone comments.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
From what the original post stated the owner said no lighting during the summer lights on during winter.

Sounds like a reversed brumation cycle. Also, there just is not enough info to jump to animal cruelty. There are thousands of waysto take care of a bearded dragon. Like i personally think alowing a dragon to eat as much as they can and letting them be overly obese is wrong but I dont scream at people over it.

at the end of the day you have zero rights to that animal and if the person did not accept your advice than thats the end of it you have no other possible actions

cwj93

Original Poster
spyder79":2jnwoqk3 said:
From what the original post stated the owner said no lighting during the summer lights on during winter.

Sounds like a reversed brumation cycle. Also, there just is not enough info to jump to animal cruelty. There are thousands of waysto take care of a bearded dragon. Like i personally think alowing a dragon to eat as much as they can and letting them be overly obese is wrong but I dont scream at people over it.

at the end of the day you have zero rights to that animal and if the person did not accept your advice than thats the end of it you have no other possible actions
Well I never said I was going to force the owner to give him to me or to change the way he is taking care of him. I just simply said that I feel like I should try to do something for him. I understand what you are saying about how it is his pet and I have no rights to it but that doesn't mean I can't tell him what he is doing is completely wrong. I have already explained to him everything he needs to do and he did not listen to anything I said. Ignorance is one thing, but to continue what he is doing after everything I told him shows that he really just doesn't give a ****, and if he doesn't want to let me adopt him then I will accept that there is nothing I can do, but I have to try.

Are you saying that if you were in my situation you would just turn the other cheek and not even try to do anything to help that poor beardie?

BTW, he doesn't use any type of UV light in the winter. Just a regular household bulb 2 - 3 months out of the year. There may be many ways to take care of a bearded dragon but I know this isn't one of them. I think that if you seen how unhealthy he is you would be inclined to agree

spyder79

Extreme Poster
yes I am saying that in your shoes I would not pursue this. You said your peace to the guy and he didnt care about what you had to say. Thats all you have.

cwj93

Original Poster
Well I am going to at least offer to take him off of his hands. If he refuses then thats that. But if he agrees, then I will be happy to get the chance to help him.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't think it would hurt at all to ask him once again, anything to save this poor beardie. Perhaps he has been thinking about what you told him. I couldn't believe that he is actually keeping him "high", that must have been very hard for you to hear.

cwj93

Original Poster
diamc":mg97am3p said:
I don't think it would hurt at all to ask him one again, anything to save this poor beardie. Perhaps he has been thinking about what you told him. I couldn't believe that he is actually keeping him "high", that must have been very hard for you to hear.
It's sickening really. I couldn't imagine doing that to any animal.

dragonxxxx

Hatchling Member
i hope the guy gives you the beardie then it would at least have a chance,but i wouldn't doubt it if he didn't because this guy is clueless, and doesn't think he is doing anything wrong.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
I agree with dragonxxx, don't be surprised if he doesn't pass the beardie on to you. Some people are very proud and will refuse to admit that they are at fault in any way. Sad to say many people do not think of the animal first and an animals happiness is not their concern. If this is the case with this chap then he may not be willing to give you the dragon and have himself proved wrong.

Having said that, I really do hope that he does let you have it, and that you get the opportunity to improve this lil critters life.

I understand how many people can be misinformed about the care/treatment of animals but I have never understood those that have no interest in finding out better more effective ways to look after them. I have had dogs all my life, hamsters, gerbils, mice.. well most rodents actually, cats and now we have a beardie. With all the pets I have bought/adpted, I have felt the urge to find out as much as possible about them so that I know that they can live to their fullest. I am not perfect obviously and I have to say adopting my beardie has been a steep learning curve but one I am thoroughly enjoying.

Those willing to learn will listen, those who arent wont. It's a fact of life unfortunately. Wow sorry for the rant, I guess I needed to get that out :oops:

cwj93

Original Poster
Well, like many of you guessed, the owner decline my offer to take him. But on the bright side, I gave him a care sheet with everything he needs to know to take care of his beardie, and I think it might have made an impression on him. He said that I don't think he cares at all about his dragon but he really does and he will look into getting the stuff on the list. That's about all I could hope for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom