UVB wattage thru mesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilrambo

I'm looking for some opinions on my uvb bulb. It came with the tank set up and isn't over 2 months old yet. Its a Reptisun 10.0 uvb . It says 26w. I don't know much about this subject and want to make sure it correct for him so he doesn't get sick.

Attachments

• 16410664310765855700064619346741.jpg
    16410664310765855700064619346741.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 16410664809926900225394354333691.jpg
    16410664809926900225394354333691.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 85

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I'm looking for some opinions on my uvb bulb. It came with the tank set up and isn't over 2 months old yet. Its a Reptisun 10.0 uvb . It says 26w. I don't know much about this subject and want to make sure it correct for him so he doesn't get sick.
Ok the 26 watt is a ok uvb but I recommend you swap it out for a long tube fixture 24" for a 40+ gallon tank
here is some info on that coil
you want that bulb unobstructed please

The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance

Lilrambo

Original Poster
Ok the 26 watt is a ok uvb but I recommend you swap it out for a long tube fixture 24" for a 40+ gallon tank
here is some info on that coil
you want that bulb unobstructed please

The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance
Ok I'm going to look into a different one for him. I'll just hope it's simple to mount under the screen! Thanks

Lilrambo

Original Poster
Ok I'm going to look into a different one for him. I'll just hope it's simple to mount under the screen! Thanks
Oh forgot to ask. Any suggestions on brand to go with for the hood and bulb? I was going to go with Amazon most likely. But there are always so many things to go thru and it's a hit or miss it gets frustrating

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can get a clamp and clamp it to the end of the tank w/ the screen slid toward the middle but leaving the basking bulb on the screen -- the double the dome may be a issue you can get a single dome

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh forgot to ask. Any suggestions on brand to go with for the hood and bulb? I was going to go with Amazon most likely. But there are always so many things to go thru and it's a hit or miss it gets frustrating
Zoo Med 24" comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep the bulb you can use it for back up but distance and placement is different from the bulb you will need a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 22"
24" Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
24" or 2ft SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp
these are all good fixtures and bulb --- let me know when you get it they certain have distance and placement for them -- your screen will determine where it goes

Lilrambo

Original Poster
Zoo Med 24" comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep the bulb you can use it for back up but distance and placement is different from the bulb you will need a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 22"
24" Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
24" or 2ft SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp
these are all good fixtures and bulb --- let me know when you get it they certain have distance and placement for them -- your screen will determine where it goes
I got the T5 HO Reptisun 24" hood and also the 24w 10.0 uvb bulb. It is on top of the mesh but it doesn't seem to have a way to mount inside..I still have my other uvb on top too bcuz it's in a combo dome with his basking bulb. I think this is ok!

Attachments

• 20220112_184522.jpg
    20220112_184522.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 90

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I got the T5 HO Reptisun 24" hood and also the 24w 10.0 uvb bulb. It is on top of the mesh but it doesn't seem to have a way to mount inside..I still have my other uvb on top too bcuz it's in a combo dome with his basking bulb. I think this is ok!
Please shut the coil off its doing more harm than good ---- you can use this for mounting if the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door if its wide holed it can stay on top of the screen ---https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
this is like a Velcro strap cut into strips wrap around your fixture - for inside the tank distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece - for top of screen distance should be 8-10 inches directly above the screen --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom