URI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
My male beardie has been kinda weird lately. He has been wheezing slightly but no mucus is coming out. I noticed it was worse when he is taking a bath. I am not 100% sure it is a URI but the wheezing makes me think it is. I think it might be my fault that he is sick though. His basking is only at 95. I havent been able to watch him for a month because of my job. I feel very very bad about this. He has been eating very well though. Do I need to take him to the vet or just make sure his basking is 105? He is 9 months old.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How long has he been having some breathing issues?
If you don't see any mucous or stringy thick or off colored saliva, then you can try to get it taken care of quickly at home.
You will need to bump the basking temperatures up to an optimal range of 95-110 measured with either a temp gun or digital probe while maintaining a cooler end of around 78-82. Be sure the humidity is 20% or less right now.
You can also keep his tank around 80 overnight, too for help in boosting his immune system, also. You can get some bee pollen to give to him to help with his appetite & immune system, too.
For now, I would not bathe him for a few days in case he is getting a respiratory infection, just so he doesn't get chilled or accidentally aspirate any water to make things worse.

Are you using a UVB light also?
Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Drache613":2fs9zbx0 said:
Hello,

How long has he been having some breathing issues?
If you don't see any mucous or stringy thick or off colored saliva, then you can try to get it taken care of quickly at home.
You will need to bump the basking temperatures up to an optimal range of 95-110 measured with either a temp gun or digital probe while maintaining a cooler end of around 78-82. Be sure the humidity is 20% or less right now.
You can also keep his tank around 80 overnight, too for help in boosting his immune system, also. You can get some bee pollen to give to him to help with his appetite & immune system, too.
For now, I would not bathe him for a few days in case he is getting a respiratory infection, just so he doesn't get chilled or accidentally aspirate any water to make things worse.

Are you using a UVB light also?
Tracie

Ok I moved him up to 110 basking and 80 overall. I have the digital prob on both sides. The humidity is at 10%. I have some bee pollen I can give him now. About a tablespoon a day? Ok so no more baths. He is not breathing with his mouth open either. It is just wheezing when I go to pick him up. I am using a reptisun 10.0 tube bulb on him. 12 hours a day. 6-8 inches away. Today he has more color and when I picked him up the wheezing wasnt as bad.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, that sounds good on the temperatures. Be sure he has a few areas where he can cool off when needed.
The bee pollen, you will only need a small pinch, daily for him. That will hopefully help his appetite out also.
Could his nostrils be getting ready to shed possibly which would account for some of the wheezing, or no?
Good, the Reptisun 10 tube is fine alongside of a bright white basking light for him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom