URGENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

fellwolfpaw

URGENT
My new bearded dragon Waldo has been breathing very deeply and constantly opens his mouth. The strangest thing is everytime he opens his mouth he makes a weird clicking sound. He normally only does this when he is out of his cage. He is a juevinile ( sorry about spelling ) and is sometimes hyper but mostly non moving. He eats normally and seems pretty healthy overall. One more thing is ever since we've had him he's had a white line down his back. Kinda powdery. If anyone can sorta 'diagnose" his please help. Thanks

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that your beardie isn't doing well. To save time and to not leave anything out, I'm going to post a list of questions. Please try to answer them as detailed as you can. It will help us a lot so we can try to figure out just what is going on and to hopefully help him improve.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

LaurenceP

iv never heard about any clicking noise befor and it is quiet unusual to hear about them breathing heavily but do u spray iat because if next time it dose it either use a sprayer or a pipet and put water in its mouth because beardies get dehidrated very easily and they open their mouths to try cool down u could also try cooling down the temperature in ur viv maybe sorry i cnt help u to much but gd luck any way and post bck if their is any improvment be interesting to know wat was wrong. :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
LaurenceP, clicking noises can actually be a symptom of an upper respiratory infection as well as a change in breathing so that's why I posted the questions for fellwolfpaw to go over the setup.

LaurenceP

sorry just trying to think of the simple options :( . didnt mean to afend u. i did say i have never heard of them

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
it does sound like an RI, - you need to lower humidity and get to a vet as he will need antibiotic treatment.

There is a herbal remedy that some people are using for RI called reptaid but I don't know how effective it is - if you want to know more about it you can do a search, there are a couple of threads, the one in the 'for sale' section is quite extensive

fellwolfpaw

Original Poster
I'm not completely sure how old Waldo is but it is young. ( 1-4 months )
I've had Waldo for 9 days and I'm a first time owner ( Got him at Pet Supermarket )
Waldo is about 1 inch long
It's to young to tell how old he is
It's in a 10 gallon tank
I used to have Herp Carpet ( Turtle Turf ) but I just moved to CalciSand or something like that
I use a 10.0 fluorescent tube UVB light plus powdered crickets
The brand is ReptiGlow and it's 15W
The UVB light is 3 days old
Waldo can get up to 4 inches away from the UVB
Yes I use a seperate basking bulb
I used to use a ZooMed 50W but I now use a All Living Things 75W
The temperatures are 90 on the hot side and 70 on the cool side
Yes I use a stick on thermometer on both sides
The warm side is 90F and the cool side is 70F
I feed him crickets with calcium powder, kale, and Rep-Cal Juvenile Beardie Food
I feed him 3 crickets in the morning and 3 in afternoon, I put in a new piece of kale in everday ( Rep-Cal food stays in all the time )
I don't gutload them although I have been thinking about it ( the crickets eat apple slices to stay alive )
I use Flukers Calcium Powder with Vitamin D3 everytime I put in crickets or kale
Waldo goes to the restroom everyday once or twice a day
I have bathed my dragon twice ( yesterday and today ) because he looked sick
It doesn't share an enclosure with another dragon
Waldo has not been to the vet yet although I'm trying to arrange an appointment and has not had a fecal done

Thank You So Much!!! Hope this information helps :D

fellwolfpaw

Original Poster
diamc":2091a said:
LaurenceP, clicking noises can actually be a symptom of an upper respiratory infection as well as a change in breathing so that's why I posted the questions for fellwolfpaw to go over the setup.

I've looked everywhere on the internet and that's what I came up with to. I guess this post is just to prove myself wrong. I don't want anything bad to happen to Waldo :(

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Give me a minute and I will go over your answers with you. Has there been any change today? Is he lethargic?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for answering the questions. It sounds like you're very attached to him already so let's see if we can get him doing better. I did notice some things in your setup that could help make him healthier.

If you could get a measurement on Waldo from his nose to the very tip of his tail, that would be a good idea because I don't think he's only 1 inch long.

The 10 gallon tank is ok for him now since he is so young but once he starts growing, he will outgrow it very quickly. The minimum tank for a full sized beardie is a 40 gallon breeder so would probably be a good idea for you to start looking around for one while you have a little time.

The reptile carpet that you were using before would be much safer for him than the calci-sand as that is very dangerous. Because it contains calcium, it encourages them to lick it then hardens in their bellies like cement and since a baby has a kink in his digestive/intestinal tract, it is extremely hard for him to pass it which causes a very severe impaction. You would be better off going back to the reptile carpet, using paper towels, non-adhesive shelf liner or slate tiles. Any loose substrate is an impaction risk especially for a baby because they lick a lot & are also clumsy eaters. I suggest you remove the calcium sand right away and can even replace it with paper towels for now.

I was glad to hear that you are using a fluorescent UVB rather than a dangerous coil or compact bulb. Unfortunately, there have been some problems with the Repti-Glo 10.0 fluorescent though. The safest way to use it until it needs replacing in about 5 months, is to make sure that it is right alongside a bright white basking bulb and that it is 10" from your baby when he is in his basking spot. A distance of only 4" from that bulb can cause all kinds of health issues with the most common one being eye symptoms where they close their eyes a lot and can even do some eye damage.

Any type of stick-on thermometer isn't giving you accurate readings and they are only measuring the glass temp which isn't as important to know as the basking & cool side temps. The only 2 ways to get a good reading are with either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with long wire & probe end. Here's a picture of the digital with probe that I bought at Walmart for about $12.00 and it is the AcuRite brand, well worth the price because it gives you the temp of the basking & cool side at the same time and also has a humidity readout which is a good thing to know.
100_0297.jpg

The way you use this is to lay the thermometer part over on the bottom of the cool side with the probe end resting on the basking surface, wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising, then the "out" reading will be the basking temp and the "in" reading the cool side temp. It's extremely important to get accurate readings especially for a little baby because if the temps are off, it can increase his chances of getting an upper respiratory infection, prevent proper digestion, decrease in appetite and even cause impaction issues. So, I recommend you get a good thermometer as soon as possible so that you know what the temps really are.

Here's a site that shows the best greens to feed: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html You can also throw some fresh greens in with the crickets and they will consume them too.

For a baby, you should be dusting his crickets with calcium with D3 but phosphorus-free 5 days a wk but only 1 feeding a day and with vitamins the other 2 days a wk but only 1 feeding a day. Most of us use the Rep-Cal brand supplements. http://www.petmountain.com/product/vitamins-supplements/105551/rep-cal-ultrafine-calcium-with-vitamin-d3.html

It's good to hear that Waldo is pooping 1 to 2 times a day. It's a good idea to make sure he is well hydrated and will also help with a possible impaction from the calci-sand. When you bathe him, make sure his vent area (where he poos) is right down in the water for about 15 to 20 min for proper hydration and a bath 3 to 4 times a wk is a good idea. Make sure you test the water temp by the inside of your wrist, should feel warm but not cold or hot. You can add enough water to cover his front legs but be sure to watch him very closely as they can drown very quickly.

I know this is a lot of info to absorb but making the changes as recommended will make a difference in his total health. Once you get a good thermometer, we can help with adjusting the temps and because he is making some clicking sounds, we might need to raise his temperatures up a little but you can't really do that until you find out what the actual temps are now. It would be a good idea to make sure he is kept warmer at night so you could take a sock, fill it with rice, microwave for about 15 to 20 seconds (test the temp by the side of your cheek to make sure that it's not too hot), wrap the rice sock up in a washcloth or small towel then wrap your beardie and the sock up together in a big fluffy towel. You can reheat the sock as often as needed. It is also possible that he is opening his mouth quite a bit because his tank is too warm. So, there are some things that we can go over once you get the other thermometer. Also make sure to move the UVB light so that it is no closer than 10" from him. But, if the clicking sounds from his mouth continue, he should see a vet to have him checked for an upper respiratory infection because if he has one, he will need antibiotics to help it clear up.

If you have any questions, let me know. :wink:

fellwolfpaw

Original Poster
Thank you so much!!! I will try to do all those things :lol:. Today Waldo is a little lethargic. :( Something really strange is that now he closes one eye and keeps one open. I do have one question.... what should I do with lighting lighting and heating at night? Some people have told me to just leave heat on and others have just said turn everything off. HELP!!!

fellwolfpaw

Original Poster
Sorry.... 1 inch is pretty far off. :D He is about 4-5.5 inches long. I measured him with a tape measurer so I'm feeling pretty confident. :lol:

LuvJazz

Please please just take him to the vet!!!! Its worth it!
Sounds like an RI, vet is your best bet. You can try the herbal stuff but the Vet knows what he/she is doing.

Even if it turns out nothing is wrong at least you can relax knowing he is ok. It is also a good oppertunity to ask the vet things you should be looking for. Instead of going by reccomendations of the petshops....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom