Update foe Belle

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been quite awhile since her last update. Since last posting (March) All her infections have cleared up, but, she still has trouble walking and has developed a curve to her tail and spine. She gets liquid calcium daily and her uv is reptisun tube expanding the length of tank, mounted inside and replaced religiously every 5-6 months. Temps are good basking 103-105. She eats about 10 dubias daily, still refuses salad these days. she really doesn't have much of an appetite. Baths about once a week. She does love her soaks. We did rearrange her tank so she doesn't have to climb. I'm just worried. Her vet says she's fine, got a second opinion. Slight MBD was his diagnosis. Does MBD ever get better? Or is she just gonna have a funky little walk for the rest of her life? I plan to post a video of her little walk once she decides she wants to.

BeautyBelle

Original Poster
a couple pics. The white spots are scars from having to have 2 month of daily shots.

she's also shedding right now so she's a little grumpy. :?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....poor Belle, did the first vet not see the hump developing or realize this was MBD ? Wow....just unreal. Good thing your next vet could see. But it's pretty severe, not slight, that's why she has a large hump on her back. What were the injections for ? Experienced vets usually will not inject beardies more than an initial dose, the rest is given orally. I wonder if part of the hump is a combo of MBD and now a swelling from the injections.

It's great that she still has an appetite. :) Are the dubias large ? If so, cut waaaaay back to about 2-3 a day. She is at severe risk of developing gout from such a high protein diet. That would almost certainly end her life. She is quite cunky and does not move much, so just a small amount of protein is needed each day. If you give her medium dubia's , 5-6 would be O.K, and keep offering salad. Hopefully she would get hungry enough to go for some one day.

BeautyBelle

Original Poster
The injections were antibiotics from a severe stomach infection earlier this year (march) so I don't think its swelling. As for her dubias they're small/medium. She can eat large ones, just prefers smaller ones, She is a lady afterall lol. Ill still be cutting back tho. Hopefully she'll get hungry enough for salad. She does move around quite a bit, just not easily.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She really is a trooper, poor girl. :) And yes, I agree that 10 smallish roaches would be fine. I assumed they were large because she's a big girl. I read about the vomiting starting after she was put on oral antibiotics for weeks at a time.....I think that was the culprit of the " stomach trouble" and I think the vet was inexperienced. Was the hump there before the shots ?

BeautyBelle

Original Poster
It came after. I noticed her walking funny. Took her to the vet. That's when we discovered the infection. She went thru all her treatments like a champ. One day I noticed the curve in the tail then the hump on her back prob back in September. So seeing MBD in dragons before, I increased her calcium, changed from dusting her food to the liquid, so I know she's getting it. But nothing seems to be helping. She hasn't shown any trembling and she is walking around more, she tips over occasionally, so I just make sure she's supervised. Even my cat, who adores her, watches close.
I'm thinking when she was on her antibiotics she wasn't getting enough calcium. Is that possible?
Or could all the vomiting have caused a severe drop in her calcium levels? She does have another vet appointment Monday for a check up. Hopefully I can get some answers. I just don't want to see her suffer or be in any pain.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Her hump is probably permanent, but there's no definite way to tell if or how much pain she's in, if any. The first vet did not even realize what MBD is , and injections in the back which caused scarring was not a good idea so be sure to go to the second vet. I wouldn't allow anymore messing with injections anywhere. But as long as Belle is eating, moving around a bit and her beard is not black, then I would say she's not in extreme discomfort. Hopefully she's content and you're obviously a caring owner trying to do your best. :)

BeautyBelle

Original Poster
Belle passed away yesterday. She had another infection and her Sulfate(?) levels were really high. She died in her sleep after tucking her in she gave me 1 last smile.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry, I know that she was dear to you. :( Please be careful with vets, I believe that the excessive antibiotic shots that caused the scars while she developed severe MBD deformity is all related to that treatment and factored in her death. I would never take a reptile there.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Sulfate...maybe a sulfa antibiotic drug toxicity?
Weird place for injections also.
Sorry your dragon past away regardless of the cause.

I'm so sorry for your loss... Now you have so much experience and wisdom to share. I hope you find the strength to get another little one eventually, you had such a rough time I really wish your experience was more rewarding. PM if you need anything at all! I'm online here at least once a day and would love to make new friends.

Rest easy, Belle!

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Any chance you remember the name of the antibiotic your dragon was on? I'm starting to wonder if the MBD symptoms might have been related to a sulfa antibiotic and the high sulfate levels.
Sulfates do leach calcium from bones due to the acidification of the blood. Then the calcium is excreted in the urine.
If this is too emotional for you I totally understand if you do not respond. Again, I'm sorry your dragon died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rollerboy
Top Bottom