Unfortunate News regarding Solar Glo MVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmb527

Hatchling Member
But at least they are developing products for the herp keeping hobby. Very few years ago almost no one made herp specific supplies, and today very few are producing very nice higher end equipment. Hagen has at least been trying. Others like Reptileuv are small potatoes that don't have the money to produce bulbs and equipment in large scale. The products are good, but if he has to test each and every one before shipping, his manufacturing quality is suspect as well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello,

Well, every light does need to be tested prior especially now that there have been so many other problems. For instance, the latest problem with the Solar Glo is that they changed the specs & did not even tell anyone. They just sent them out for sale, & the quality is horrible. That doesn't say a whole lot, really. If he is trying, that is great. Everyone makes mistakes.
However, they are inconsistent with their lighting quality. Frances can attest to that. Their specs for their tube lights keep changing & are not reliable for testing or for output. There really needs to be some serious work done on all fronts to keep the lights within a consistent quality.
Mass producing a light doesn't necessarily mean that it is a good quality bulb, either. A company that is large & makes lights, doesn't always keep good track of the quality of their lights either if they are not involved in quality control.

Tracie

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
beardieluv":vsucwfis said:
I haven't been on here in a while. Seems like it's always something. I went from the MegaRay (it was bad) to a replacement megaray (was another bad one) now to a bad solar glo!!! :angry5: :banghead: for MONTHS now something has been wrong with whatever light he is using. Charlie has had a lack of appetite and closing his eyes more. It's like being with the bad megaray all over again. I'm just gonna go back the the reptisun10.0. what is the best setup to use the tube uvb? I have a shop light hood i'll be putting the sun in, and the heat lamp will be on a lamp stand. will he be able to get good uvb this way?
Yes,that's the best way to do it.Just make sure you are using a nice bright basking/heat bulb and he can get within 6 to 8" to the Reptisun :D

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Drache613":1hl8bog6 said:
Hello,

Well, every light does need to be tested prior especially now that there have been so many other problems. For instance, the latest problem with the Solar Glo is that they changed the specs & did not even tell anyone. They just sent them out for sale, & the quality is horrible. That doesn't say a whole lot, really. If he is trying, that is great. Everyone makes mistakes.

Mass producing a light doesn't necessarily mean that it is a good quality bulb, either. A company that is large & makes lights, doesn't always keep good track of the quality of their lights either if they are not involved in quality control.

Tracie
Well said!! :wink:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
puppytoes72":139ffbfz said:
beardieluv":139ffbfz said:
I haven't been on here in a while. Seems like it's always something. I went from the MegaRay (it was bad) to a replacement megaray (was another bad one) now to a bad solar glo!!! :angry5: :banghead: for MONTHS now something has been wrong with whatever light he is using. Charlie has had a lack of appetite and closing his eyes more. It's like being with the bad megaray all over again. I'm just gonna go back the the reptisun10.0. what is the best setup to use the tube uvb? I have a shop light hood i'll be putting the sun in, and the heat lamp will be on a lamp stand. will he be able to get good uvb this way?
Yes,that's the best way to do it.Just make sure you are using a nice bright basking/heat bulb and he can get within 6 to 8" to the Reptisun :D
Exactly.

beardieluv

Sub-Adult Member
Thanks guy. I can't tell you how much time and money i've wasted on these stupid mvb's since february.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Alyssa, let's not even go there. :roll: You wouldn't believe how much I've spent on UVB's as a whole in the past year trying to find ones that are good. I'm back to using Repti-Sun's except for a good T-Rex on one tank that is heading toward 6 mo old. It's all exhausting, very frustrating and our poor beardies have suffered for all the changes made to these bulbs. :(

TheWaveCarver

Hatchling Member
My parents think that i'm going crazy with all the lighting switches and me telling them that, "this has been having problems." I'm just going to settle down on a reptisun 10.0 and call it quits with lighting! Thank goodness for the reptisun, if it didn't exist i don't know where i would turn right now.

h2simms

Juvie Member
Ok, I am confused! I switched my male to a reptiglo 5 temporaley until I got a reptisun 10. As I had him on a reptisun earlier, there has been no decrease in appetite, basking, or activity. Is this right? :shock:

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
h2simms":3tqzfssr said:
Ok, I am confused! I switched my male to a reptiglo 5 temporaley until I got a reptisun 10. As I had him on a reptisun earlier, there has been no decrease in appetite, basking, or activity. Is this right? :shock:
That's great that he is doing well under the old reptiglo 5. Just try to get the reptisun 10 as soon as possible :D

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
a week isn't too bad :wink:
Don't throw your old Reptiglo away...it's always good to keep a spare on hand in case one breaks.
I'm glad I kept all my old bulbs because now that I have a uvb meter I found out that my 4 spare T-Rex bulbs are all still good. That's $200 in savings :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom