Unfortunate News regarding Solar Glo MVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks Frances for always updating us as you always do, that means a lot to all of us and our reptiles.

It's unfortunate that the Solar Glo's don't have batch #'s to help narrow the problem bulbs down. That certainly makes it even more frustrating for anyone who is using one.

I found the testing results of this bulb very interesting. Isn't it strange how the 160 watt that Dawn sent showed such results and even a wattage of only 115 but one of the other 160 watt bulbs proved a wattage of 173, wow, what a difference!

Regarding the T-Rex Active UV, had you tested any other bulbs besides the one that I sent you? If so, would you be able to post those findings too?

Thanks also for posting the distance recommendations using an iguana as an example, that was a very clear way to explain exactly the distance from reptile to bulb so there's no confusion.

We do so appreciate all your hard work and your dedication to keeping us informed of these very frustrating UVB issues.

lilacdragon

Hatchling Member
Hi, Puppytoes 72.
I have some news for you... I wish I could say "good news" but I'm afraid it isn't that good.... :?
I am putting the finishing touches on my report for two T-Rex "economy" lamps right now, and I should finish it tomorrow, and post it up into the files in the UVB_Meter_Owners forum.

In the meantime I would keep your old lamp over your beardie, and ideally, wait till you get your UVB meter before putting the new one over her again. It is possible she was develoing photo-kerato-conjunctivitis I'm afraid...

I would recommend that you buy the Solarmeter 6.5 UV Index Meter direct from Solartech. (Specify the one with the sensor for testing Reptile UV Lamps... I am changing over to the UV Index, and when I manage to update UVGuideUK the UV Index will be used for everything (with conversion charts for folks who still have the trusty Solarmeter 6.2 UVB meters).
http://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
I know they seem horrendously expensive, but you are buying a scientific instrument, and the 6.5 UV Index Meter is the only one that's remotely affordable, that is accurate enough to use on any lamp and/or the sun, and get a really helpful result. (The 6.2 meters are also excellent but you can't use them to compare different brands, or compare a lamp with sunlight.)
It should last you for many many years (my old 6.2 is six years old and has only needed one battery change, and has been dropped countless times, even onto concrete, and still works like new) and could save you $100s over its lifetime, in saved lamp replacements (and even vets bills?)

How do you know what reading is good? Good question!
That's another great thing about using the UV Index. It is as simple as knowing your "sun-smart" information and applying it to your beardie, knowing that although he/she is not going to get sunburn like you or I, he/she needs safe basking levels too, similar to the UV Index at the times of day that beardies normally sit in the sun in the wild.
See: http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/uviscale.html
and
http://www.bom.gov.au/uv/

Recordings of reptiles in the wild are revealing that they are very "sun-smart" (no surprise there) and sunloving reptiles such as beardies bask in "moderate" levels of UVB (UVI 3-5) in the early morning and late afternoon Aussie sun, up to "high" levels (UVI 6-7) later in the morning.... but when the levels go higher than this most reptiles seek shade (UVI 0-2) and only venture out very briefly into the sun, if at all. No-one has followed beardies yet, all day, as far as I know... but studies have been done on other sunlovers in the USA and Australia. When I was there in 2006 I did see one beardie (after 4 days searching - LOL my hubby was really fed up of this by the time we spotted him!) and he was basking on a fence post at UVI 7.6...

All the best
Frances

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Thank you so much for your speedy reply Frances :D I will do as you said and keep the old one on her. I'm gonna work on getting that uvb meter.Actually $269 is very reasonable considering how much I can save over the long run. I was just afraid that I wouldn't understand the results once I got it...I failed science in school :oops: :lol:

Thanks again! :D
Michele

I wish I could go back to the Repstisun like when I had her in a 40gal,but she is in a 120gal now (24''H)

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
What great information, Frances! I also would like to thank you for all of the research and time you put into the testing of the uvb bulbs. It is very reassuring to know we have a reliable source of information out there. :D

puppytoes72":3vjfzomd said:
I wish I could go back to the Repstisun like when I had her in a 40gal,but she is in a 120gal now (24''H)
Michele... I recently put a Reptisun in my beardie Rex's tank, which is 35" tall. I had to raise the basking spot quite a bit, but managed to make it work. Just thought I would mention that.

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Thanks Dawn :D The only problem is that Jojo is very fat and lazy and I don't think she would climb up close enough to the Reptisun :lol: I could possibly build up the entire floor with bricks,or.... hang a reptisun inside the cage somehow. I'm still thinking about it. I'm DEFINATELY ordering the uvb meter this weekend though. :D
For now she is very happy under her 1 year-old T-Rex and her eye is back to normal :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello,

Hi Michelle! At least you had an old T-rex to put over her though.
I know, it is time for me to get a meter also. It is just too needed now, isn't it? :D I am planning on it this month or the first of July.

Tracie

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Drache613":37eck41l said:
Hello,

Hi Michelle! At least you had an old T-rex to put over her though.
I know, it is time for me to get a meter also. It is just too needed now, isn't it? :D I am planning on it this month or the first of July.

Tracie
Hi Tracie,
Yeah I always save her old bulbs in case of an emergency :wink: I just now tried to order the meter online but Frances said to make sure I specify the one for reptile lamps and I didn't see anywhere I can specify that. I'm going to call them tomorrow and order over the phone,that way I'm sure that I'm getting the right one. I'm so excited!! :D

lilacdragon

Hatchling Member
geo7809":2jy3ct0f said:
Its the solarmeter 6.2 you can get it on ebay for around $155 or order it direct for $190

I think Michelle is choosing the newer Solarmeter 6.5 UV Index Meter.
These are the "next generation" of Solarmeters, they have the advantage of responding only to the part of the UVB spectrum which is responsible for vitamin D3 synthesis. Because this is a much smaller band of wavelengths, you can use it to compare reptile lamps with different brands, and also with sunlight.
The UV Index is what comes up on weather forecasts for "sun safety".
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/uv_index/uvi_map.gif
Hey... you've got real high UV at mid-day today!

In the early morning when beardies are out basking, the UV level slowly rises from zero at dawn to maybe "moderate" to "high" - UV Index 3 up to 6 or 7. Look at the first chart here (Aussie UVI):
http://www.bom.gov.au/uv/

So a mercury vapor lamp needs to give you somewhere in that range, from about 3.0 but no higher than 6 - 7 in the very middle of the beam at the place he sits, when basking right under the lamp. There will then be a good gradient, down to almost zero in his cool end. He will then get quite strong "UVB in the sunlight" for reasonably short periods, when basking each day.

If you use a UVB tube rather than a merc vapor lamp, the approach has to be slightly different. You are aiming to give him lower levels (you will be lucky to get UVI 2 - 3 at 10", even with a reflector... Without a reflector the maximum you will get could be as gentle as UVI 1 - 1.5...) but over a much larger area, so he gets the equivalent of UVB "in the shade" for several hours a day, both when basking and when hanging out slightly further away from the basking zone. This is why you want a long tube (not a compact lamp) and why you want it at least half the length of the tank.

The "How to use a UVB meter" on the UVGuideUK site doesn't mention the UV Index meter yet. THIS IS MY FAULT because I haven't had time to update it.

If you have a Solarmeter 6.2 already ....don't rush out to buy a 6.5. The 6.2 meter is still as great as it ever was. And there is a way of converting the readings to UV Index. But the conversion formula is different for every lamp type (because of their different spectra)
I'm working on a chart for that, too. Just need more time :silent:

All the best
Frances

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Thank you for that. I was beginning to wonder whether MVBs were better or not, but I think I'll stick with my tubes... Seems less goes wrong!

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
As always thank you for all the valuable info Frances! :D
I tried to order the 6.5 meter online lastnight,but when I went onto the solartech site I didn't see how I can "specify" for reptile uv lamp testing like you said.I went as far as the checkout and put my address in but I didn't put my credit card info in.Maybe I didn't go far enough into the checkout part to request the "reptile lamp use"? I called them direct about 10:30am this morning and got a answering machine saying to leave a msg and someone will call me back soon.It's now 4pm and I haven't heard back yet,but maybe they return calls after-hours?

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Steve from Solartech just called me back,and I placed the order.Hopefully it will be here within a week :blob8:

He is a very nice guy :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello,

Great Michelle, that is awesome you have one on the way. The Solarmeter 6.5 is the correct one. That is the one I will be getting also. I am getting one here real quick, also. It is more than the 6.2 but the better one though.
I am anxious to get one since none of the lights seem to be working very well anymore.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom