Turkistan Roaches (Info and Colony pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozzy9511

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Mozzy really loves the dubias and I wanted to get him a little variety, but Im not sure about them in TN.
I have tried researching if they are illegal here or something but nothing has come up.
Maybe it is just a mistake with the website I was trying to buy them from.

mozzy9511

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Darn, I just ordered 1000 dubias from someone selling them on the forum. Wish I would have seen this first I could have saved $20!! Oh well, guess I will know where to go next time, thanks!!

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
yeah they are fast but that is why my Mojo loves them lol they really peek the hunting drive. Plus if you put them in a dish of calcium powder they pretty much coat themselves lol.

Olympus

Ive been buying form livingearthexotics because gulfcoastcrickets only has new hatchlings. Some of my babies run from them though so I still have to feed dubias. I started feeding these because I refuse to feed crickets and my dubias cant keep up with 41 babies!

mozzy9511

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey everyone, its been a while since I have been on here..
We just got our Turkistan Roach colony going and I wanted to post some pics of the setup

Here is the breeder tub..
t4.jpg

t6.jpg

And the smaller ones/feeders..
t5.jpg

t1.jpg

And just in case someone doesn't know what the eggs look like here are a couple pics of some eggs we have

t3.jpg

t2.jpg

We are still patiently waiting for our Dubia colony to start growing, the turks have worked out a lot faster for us and the girls seem to really love them!

Trajega

Hatchling Member
Just grabbed some as well, all I would say is make sure you get vasolene BEFORE you open. I was informed they wouldnt climb XYZ - then I watched them do just that the second I opened the container.

mozzy9511

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes they can definitely climb and can/will fit through the tiniest crack or hole, even the adults.
You can line the inside of the tub with clear packing tape and they can not climb that, that is what we did.
You only have to put one line of it all the way around the top but just to be safe you can put as much as you want. :D

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
I'm sorry but the not able to climb thing is semi-true. Turkistans can not climb smooth surfaces. Like glass, or plastic, however likeany other federbug they CAN climb cardboard, unlikedubiathey CAN climb surfaces with even the slightest amount of texture. Now, german(pest) roaches and lobster roaches (which I hear are being mistaken for turkistans lately) can climb just about anything hahaha. big reason I won't keep them, too much work.

mozzy9511

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lol Yeah we keep ours in plastic rubbermaid totes and they can climb right out of those things! lol But we've never kept them in anything else
The only reason we have them is because they breed so fast and we are still working on our dubias lol

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
I really think you may have lobster roaches and not turks I have turks and they never get out and slide if they try to climb the sides. Of courseI'm usingasmoother clear sidedbin perhaps the solid colored bins have surface texture they are able to grip?

Erimis

I hate the Turks! Mine have escaped from my beardies tank- they can climb the sealant in the corners. I think I have finally caught them all. Grrr...They are very fast and hard to catch if you drop them or try to get them out of the tank. But the beardies LOVE them! So I just ordered more! LOL

mozzy9511

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes, we definitely have Turks lol and we use the large colored tubs, you aren't supposed to keep them in a clear one, they like the dark.
And it does have some texture. Now, when I feed my girls I put them in a small plastic shoe box size clear plastic tub, and they can not climb out of that.

And I hate the Turks too, but my girls love them too!! Their favorite is actually the dubias but they take a lot longer than the turks to start breeding so thats why we started the turk colony.. We actually had our first set of dubia babies yesterday I was so excited! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom