Trying to explain a Beardie to someone who doesn't own one..

Status
Not open for further replies.
It kinda makes you hang your head and a sigh, doesn't it?

I was trying to tell a cute story about something Nanaki had done to my shift relief last night only to be given the "really?" stare and the shut-down comment: "He's a lizard". I was ready to throw the cleaning cloth on my belt at him for that...but I simply just tossed my hands up in defeat.

They just don't understand, do they? :lol:

Mordecai

Juvie Member
'No they don't! My family just keeps making fun og me for caring so much for my beardie. They are not just lizards :(

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Nope ....

Most people haven't a clue how inquisitive, smart, affectionate, funny, and just great lizards of all sizes can be as pets.
They have no idea they have individual personalities and how every lizard is has unique character.

Most people just regard them dumb animals which have no value . It's a sad indictment on our society that unless it comes with fur and big eyes it's not cute.

DuelingPokemon

Original Poster
Totally agree!

I didn't even understand until I got my current scale!baby. Seeing how curious he is, how much he snuggles on my elbow when I hold him...

Hes got my heart wrapped around his foreclaw. ♡ just as much as, say, if he was a canine or a cat.

kingofnobbys":1ev9male said:
Nope ....

Most people haven't a clue how inquisitive, smart, affectionate, funny, and just great lizards of all sizes can be as pets.
Most people just regard them dumb animals which have no value . It's a sad indictment on our society that unless it comes with fur and big eyes it's not cute.
*Opens Photoshop* *Enlarges eyes and puts on fur* There! Is it cute now?
full

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I was telling a coworker about Evee's surgery and got the very loud 'it's a lizard'. OMG thanks for telling me coworker, I had no idea *facepalm* i have lost a cat and 2 dogs in the last few months....damn right I will do everything I can to help my baby girl...I may go broke doing it (ugh) but I am not giving up yet! ?

DuelingPokemon

Original Poster
:angry:

Well that "lizard" is my family, just as much as that persons pet is to them. Argh, I hate when people do that.

But that makes it much more exciting when you run into another beardie owner. :)

How is Evee doing by the way? Is she feeling better?

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I brought her on vacation this week and she's doing great! She hates her new antibiotic (I have to but her on her back to make sure it goes in right) and today will be here third penicillin shot which she tolerates. She is eating better (relative to before) and is getting more active! I'm really hopeful that we finally got the solution to healing her ? now for that jaw bone to knit. She gets new x-rays in 3 weeks.

GizmosGrammie

Hatchling Member
I like my lizard more than I lIke most people.[/quote]

AMEN!!! right there with you!! How many of you beardie owners are also introverts??? I ask because I'm very introverted & find my lizard to be therapeutic & would rather have a one sided conversation with her than with most people most days. lol!!

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
*waves* I get anxious posting online...because I always feel so self conscious. Especially when it comes to my pets. I've had them all my life but always never feel like I get it right...so I ask a lot of questions and it's usually for something I know but am not confident about.

My beardies don't judge me...people do...well maybe my cats do too but that's different. I would be happy in a job with no one but my beardies lol

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
GizmosGrammie":2pkflp1i said:
I like my lizard more than I lIke most people.

AMEN!!! right there with you!! How many of you beardie owners are also introverts??? I ask because I'm very introverted & find my lizard to be therapeutic & would rather have a one sided conversation with her than with most people most days. lol!!

I'll second that, you'll get a much more conversation from a pet lizard than most humans, even if it is a bit one sided....

All my lizards listen very attentively to me and look me straight in the eye and often respond with head cocks and by colouring up , they genuinely enjoy my talking to them and want to up very close to my face then .

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
A bearded dragon is a lizard, they do habituat to human interaction and develop mannerisms in captivity that they do not display in the wild. Its easy to anthropomorphize those behaviors...its about how you perceive those behaviors that is important.
I know I said a bearded dragon is a lizard...so please be kind.

magpieandstuff

Hatchling Member
Non-lizard people just don't get how cool they can be. Reptar is always doing cute or funny things, but no one ever sees it because he is afraid of other strangers. I wish I could get my friends and family to just hang out with Tar so he could get used to being around them. Then he could be himself and they could all see how interesting he is.

I hate when people judge him just based on what he is. I can't tell you how many times people have responded with "Ew" or "Gross" when I tell them I have lizards. I mean come on! Reptar is cleaner than most dogs!

Also, I love meeting other lizard owners in person. I never connect with other people as fast as I connect with lizard people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom