Total loss of appetite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, I'm sorry to see that your boy is still not eating well. :( Your enclosure and temps all look very good. Have you thought of taking in a sample for a fecal? I know Coccidia in particular, can be one of those to reoccur. And of course, anytime their eating live feeders, parasites are always a possibility, and certainly able to effect appetite.

I wish I had more advice/suggestions, but that's all I can come up with, given that your enclosure looks to be in good order.

Hope you find some answers soon.

The best,
Em

chancellor91

Juvie Member
i dont no if anyone one has said this or if i didnt read post right, but is he taking an antibiotic, because if so, he needs a pro biotic like soy yogurt to re-establish correct gut flora to get his appitite back, thats what happened to me so thats all i can suggest

please keep us updated

chancellor

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thankyou for the replies. The only "antibiotic" he is on right now is Reptaid (it has been over 3 months since he was on actual medication from the vet). Is it still recomended to give him a probiotic? I was told that while on reptaid he does not need one.

Somewhat good news... Yesterday after I put him back in his tank after he was out, he had a temper-tantrum (like he usually does when I put him back) and he seemed really frustrated. Well he took out his frustrations on 2 of 3 super worms that were in his bowl. That was good news! I am hoping he will get enough in him and will realize he feels better when he eats.

Also, today when I went home for lunch he exitedly ate 2 raspberries (but only 2).. I guess his lucky # is 2 right now..

chancellor91

Juvie Member
yes yes this is what we like to hear im glad he doing better, my beardie throws a temper tantrum to, she will climb up my army like 10 times when i try to put her back, so i just keep her out, but maybe for you, you could get her flustered, and then offer super's?

chancellor

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
How is the little one doing? Mine is still on food strike. I dont want him to get used to eating the reptiaid, but thats all he will eat!!! I been giving him some soy yogurt since yesterday, so maybe ill see some more improvement. :(

Menolly

Juvie Member
Well sometimes they do go on hunger strikes. The good feeder sites guarantee live delivery. Someone has to hand you the actual product from my experience with every site I have used.
Here is a list of websites and the break down of what they sell. I really recommend trying to get something new to him. My beardie decided the only acceptable food is hornworms unless mommy tricks him into eating something else. Why not try phoenix worms? Those are a good source of calcium but small. You might want to go with the large size.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=peMbq7ViNqlVaU7bNV3PTFQ

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Menolly":3fdfa said:
Well sometimes they do go on hunger strikes. The good feeder sites guarantee live delivery. Someone has to hand you the actual product from my experience with every site I have used.
Here is a list of websites and the break down of what they sell. I really recommend trying to get something new to him. My beardie decided the only acceptable food is hornworms unless mommy tricks him into eating something else. Why not try phoenix worms? Those are a good source of calcium but small. You might want to go with the large size.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=peMbq7ViNqlVaU7bNV3PTFQ

Thank you for that link, that is great!!

I have force-fed him some soy yogurt from a syringe. He doesnt seem to like it.. lol. I hope it helps though.

Yesterday he had his last day of Reptaid for the first 10-day treatment. I think he ate some greens yesterday but I can't tell if it was because they were somewhat shrivvled by the time I got home and it just looked like less.. :?:

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
My baby didnt like the yogurt either. Make sure it is warm before giving it to him, mine freaked when he got something cold on his nose. My baby is showing no improvement. I dont know if someone else reccommended this but its called REPTAID. it is a alternative to perscribed meds and it a lot easier on them. It also boosts immunity and treats parasites and bacteria. Im thinking about getting some, but my baby is not doing well at all, he actually threw up last night.
I really hope your boy gets better. How does he look weight wise?

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just finished Turbo's first 10-day treatment of Reptaid. Didn't notice much of an improvement, but it's worth trying!

Im sorry your lil guy isn't doing so well :(

Turbo used to weigh 535 grams when he was 6 months old. Was a very hefty lil guy. He weights probably half that now. He has deff lost a lot of weight since he hasn't been eating well over the last couple months.

Im hoping he starts getting better soon.

Does anyone know when you should start a second round of Reptaid? How long after the first 10 days?

Menolly

Juvie Member
Damn, my beardie only weighs in at 400 grams. If he is loosing weight as much as you say then it is defintely parasites and you need to take him to a vet right away. He most likely has coccidia and maybe some type of worm. PLEASE take him to a vet. I really don't think just the reptaid will kick it since he is loosing so much weight. You really need meds to do that.
Try to just put it on the tip of the nose. My beardie went nuts for the blueberry kind. Maybe your beardie is just picky about what type of flavor you got him :lol:
Mel

chancellor91

Juvie Member
ya mine loves blueberry, and it sounds like some sort of parasite from the wieght loss, a trip to the vet is always helpfull, and never bad, please take your poor beardie and let us no how he doing sorry to hear this

chancellor

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The vet was the problem.. technically... He was fine up until I brought him. He had coccidia & pinworms. (he had these, however he ate everything & anything, was fat & happy, you NEVER would have known he had parasites)... I gave him the medications and he slowly dwindled down afterward. The meds were too hard on his system.

I got vanilla and blueberry yogurt. I have only opened up the blueberry and he isn't fond of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom