Too much light, not enough shade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyMojoJojo

Original Poster
25BEC0BC-E454-4177-A0E1-970DD6BE829A.jpeg

MyMojoJojo

Original Poster
my beardie is in a 4x2x2 tank. The Reptisun uvb is 36”. I’m wondering if I should exchange it for a 24”. There just isn’t any spot for him to get away from the light other than the cave in the corner. As you can see, my interior decorating skills are sub-par. Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
my beardie is in a 4x2x2 tank. The Reptisun uvb is 36”. I’m wondering if I should exchange it for a 24”. There just isn’t any spot for him to get away from the light other than the cave in the corner. As you can see, my interior decorating skills are sub-par. Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.
Has he been hiding a lot? We often don't recommend a full length uvb fixture and you definitely don't want him hiding it from it- he needs to be able to be out from it w/ out hiding- let's see who else can chime in here- I myself have a 4x2x2 and use a 24" fixture--

MyMojoJojo

Original Poster
Has he been hiding a lot? We often don't recommend a full length uvb fixture and you definitely don't want him hiding it from it- he needs to be able to be out from it w/ out hiding- let's see who else can chime in here- I myself have a 4x2x2 and use a 24" fixture--
The only place he can hide is in the corner cave. My gut tells me to switch to 24”.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i think placement would matter. is it centered? i have a 36" in my 4'x2'x2' but it is placed toward the front and moved all the way over to one side. the opposite back corner has shade, but henry never goes over there.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i'd slide it down to one end then if you can. that should give him room at the other end of the tank where there is no uvb.

MyMojoJojo

Original Poster
i'd slide it down to one end then if you can. that should give him room at the other end of the tank where there is no uvb.
Thank you. I think I’ll try that first. I spent the last 45 minutes online trying to find a plug in 24” fixture.. I have a Good Earth fixture which has been great. Unfortunately, they only sell 18 and 36. So frustrated!

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
you might as well try the free option before buying a new fixture. i've had this set up over a year now, and like i said, no problems at all so you should be fine. if you do want to get a shorter one, you can get one from pangea reptiles. i just buy the bulbs from them since my fixture came with my enclosure when i had it built, but it is the fixture/bulb that i have. Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood

MyMojoJojo

Original Poster
you might as well try the free option before buying a new fixture. i've had this set up over a year now, and like i said, no problems at all so you should be fine. if you do want to get a shorter one, you can get one from pangea reptiles. i just buy the bulbs from them since my fixture came with my enclosure when i had it built, but it is the fixture/bulb that i have. Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
Awesome! Thank you so much.

MyMojoJojo

Original Poster
Just a quick question… my local pet smart had the 24” Arcadia 12%. my only choice is to place it inside his enclosure because it does not have a mesh top. Since it’s inside, should I go with the 12% or 14%? I just want to be sure he gets enough and I am always confused about the strength of these bulbs. Do I suspend/install it at the very top or bring it down a bit? You guys are awesome and I really appreciate your guidance.
edited to add: should uvb be placed right next to basing bulb or in center?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just a quick question… my local pet smart had the 24” Arcadia 12%. my only choice is to place it inside his enclosure because it does not have a mesh top. Since it’s inside, should I go with the 12% or 14%? I just want to be sure he gets enough and I am always confused about the strength of these bulbs. Do I suspend/install it at the very top or bring it down a bit? You guys are awesome and I really appreciate your guidance.
edited to add: should uvb be placed right next to basing bulb or in center?
12% --- 14% are really strong and require a distance of 24" tank which you have but I still would stick w/ the 12%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Violet2024
Top Bottom