Tis the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
We are fast approaching the season where hurricanes and tornados will become once again part of our lives. With these bring power outages. We in Colorado have high winds that may knock out power, are not prone to but its not unheard of to have tornadoes. Now is the time to think about what to do should you find yourself without power for a day or several days as far as your beardies are concerned.
My power outage kit contains
pieces of foam insulation to wrap both tanks in to help keep in warmth
blankets for both tanks
hand and foot warmers
hot water bottles
Due to the flood we had in Sept last yr we have invested in a small generator to run our fridge, a tv and lights for both us and our beardies but still have emergency supplies in case we run out of gas for the generator and cant get any due to power outages.
What would you keep to keep your beardies safe and warm during power outages due to storms?

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Thank you for posting this Tonja. I have been getting items here and there in case of an emergency here. So far I have a few jars of baby food, critical care, bottled water, hand warmers, blankets, and tape. My veterinarian also has generators, so if anything major happens my babies would go there. I definitely need to be more prepared.

-Sabrina

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Me to with bottled water, I have cases of it left from the flood when our water was undrinkable. I still use it for my two. I have baby food and carnivore care and rapashy super vegetable for Emily and I buy bulk in crickets so Im good there for Emmett plus am breeding them. With the recent tornadoes throughout the Midwest this was something I wanted to post. I don't think you can be taken off guard and need to be prepared since its the season for these storms.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Tonja,

Great reminder for a lot of us. I hope it isn't a horrible storm season this year either!
We lived in Key West for over 5 years & went through like 6 hurricanes, so that was not fun.

Tracie

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I hear you Tracie, we lived in Key West for 3 years and fortunately never had a hurricane but as soon as we moved back to Virginia, we were hit with 3 back to back almost. I just don't want people caught off guard then panicy due to power outages from these storms which have already started across the Midwest. I would like to see people prepared to take precautions for their beardies health. I think some of this stems from me losing Geico to the floods in Colorado this past Sept. I had no idea he was sick till it was to late, and I know it was pneumonia from the cold damp of the house after 8.5 feet of water filled the basement and up the stairs to almost the first floor, everything from the stairs to the basement had to ripped out leaving us all exposed to the cold and damp air.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have a battery backup designed for computers that I can use to run the lights and the heater for the cricket tank. I have enough extra batteries to last about 7 days or so at normal running times. I keep extra bulbs for UVB and basking. I have a portable clamp lamp to allow basking light to go just about anywhere. I have a drawer full of hand warmers and have lots of blankets in the house. A couple dozen gallons of bottled spring water and some repta boost. The 40g "travel tank" setup stays in the basement and can be put into use immediately in case of a direct/close hit.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I never thought about a APC for lights as we have the generator. I do have a lot of supplies to include extra bulbs and a portable <electric> shop clamp lamp in the garage. I just thought this may be a good way to get people prepared so they don't panic when the lights go out.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Absolutely. It's good to have everyone's thoughts and emergency lists in one place so people can find it and be prepared as the storm season winds up.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I have to be honest, I have been a worry wart over my dragons since we flooded last Sept. 8.5 feet of water in the basement almost reaching the first floor, combined with losing a dragon due to the high humidity, cold and damp adds to my worry over my two that I may have a bit of overkill in the equipment and emergency dept. I don't want anyone else to go through what I did in losing Geico to things beyond their control.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Tonja,

You are right, reptiles do hide illnesses extremely well, unfortunately. Then you just don't know what is going on until they are very ill!
That is pretty cool you lived in Key West also, but at least you didn't have any hurricanes when you were there. We went through Wilma!

Tracie

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I don't know how much you remember about Key west be we lived on Packer St off of United near Patricia <oops not Patricia, was Catherine, dang my memory is bad> and not to far from the cemetery. We were across from the school that had the huge tiger outside. Cant remember the name. Off United we were 5 blocks from Simonton and 6-7 from Duvall as the crow flies. Went to Old Stone Methodist on Simonton. Hubby worked at the naval air station at Boca Chica and I worked at the VA clinic just before you hit the little bridge going to stock island. I had to ask hubby cause with him being Navy we lived all over but we were in key west from '93 to 96 then back to VA for 3 years, then to cali for 3 and back to va where he retired, then to texas and on to Colorado.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I don't remember that name. When we ate out, there was an Italian place on Duval we would frequent along with the Roof Top Inn. We would get Cuban sandwiches from a mom and pop shop on Roosevelt I think it was. Its been so long I don't remember the names of the restaurants we ate at. They were also in the process of redoing Mallory when we left there. Oh and there was a seafood restaurant we also frequently enjoyed fresh lobster at, I think it was Capt Bill's? We spent a lot of time on the fishing pier at the end of United Street fishing for grouper and yellow tails. Once in a while we would catch those bonnethead sharks and cut the line and push them back in the water. When weather was nice, we would leave the house, go for a long walk down United to Duval, down Duval and turn around at Fast Buck Freddies store and walk through little bahama and home again. Dang I finish the post and remember the Italian place was Lots a Pasta! Everything was fresh including the pasta noodles.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I miss Fast Buck Freddies. When I was down there last winter they had a sign up saying they'd gone out of business =/. I never ate at Lotsa Pasta but I don't think it's there anymore. Roof Top is though. El Siboney (Cuban diner) and Louie's Backyard are my favorites down there.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
There was a Cuban diner at the end of my street which was packer where it met Catherine. I ordered Cuban sandwiches there to take home. I cannot remember its name and no Lots a Pasta became a Mexican place before we left there to go back to Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anastasiacolson
Top Bottom