they were out of wookies....so i bought a beardie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vulture2600

Hatchling Member
and named him wookie!

hes such a little bad ass!
anyone else in minneapolis?

i have a 75 watt day bulb and according to the crappy thermomiter (im going digital) it keeps it around 100 during the day and like 80 at night with the night bulb. think i should get a heat rock or something for night time? i havent been able to find habitat temp ranges on the site yet so any feedback would be appreciated.

here are photos:
P1010013.jpg

<br>
P1010012.jpg

<br>
P1010010.jpg

zebedeepink

Sub-Adult Member
Hi and welcome :wave: Wookie is very cute. Heat rocks aren't generally recommended because beardies sense heat from above so they don't realise intense heat from below and may burn their stomachs. You don't need night time heat unless the temps drop below the low 60s. If this is the case, you'd be better of with a ceramic heat emitter. Is your night bulb a coloured one because I believe these can potentially disturb their sleep.

vulture2600

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks for the info!

the night time bulb is red which doesnt seem to affect his sleep but the crix seem more active.

i gave him a bath today and he seemed very content and has been pretty active all morning. im out of crix and the closest store is completely out so ill have to buy some tonight on my way home from work.

auntylolo

Extreme Poster
Hi vulture, you need to make sure yu take all the crickets out of the viv after giving him 15 minutes or so to eat them, and especially make sure there are none in there at night, as they can chew on your beardie and leave nasty sores. Also, do you have a uvb cos I can't see one?

SLUphilosopher

Juvie Member
Nice looking viv. I love all the logs.

Couple things: there should be a hot side of the tank (95-110 degrees F) and a cool side (75-85). Are you reaching those temps? I see you have two stick on temp gauges. If you keep reading on here, you'll see most of the owners despise them because of their unreliability. Wal-Mart has $5-$10 temp probes that are better (outdoor section I think).

He won't need nighttime heat until winter or until your nighttime tank temp gets below 65 degrees. Don't have any lights on at night, it helps them to sleep.

Like Lolo said, take out the crickets about 10-15 minutes. Leftovers will not be night time snacks for your beardie, your beardie will be nighttime snacks for the crix.

I love the name, wookie! Welcome to the forum!

Keith Stoudt

Sub-Adult Member
I'm new too. He reminds me of my first, he was 2 months old and I'll be the first to admit i was'nt prepared for a baby. now I have a 1 year old and I'll never make those mistakes again. I also have a red bulb for night because I live in PA so as you know we need them. It bothered him for a few days but now he just sleeps like a rock. Best of luck to you, and take care of him! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom