the tough love approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Girls, have you tried the sneaky approach yet ? While they are chomping their jaws on a delicious worm, locust, cricket or roach....keep a leaf of collard or mustard green [ or any acceptable type ] and stick it right in while they are in mid - chew. They rarely decide to spit it out. Worth a try....and will give you something else to do besides tear your hair out. LOL !

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
AHBD":357zhfm7 said:
Girls, have you tried the sneaky approach yet ? While they are chomping their jaws on a delicious worm, locust, cricket or roach....keep a leaf of collard or mustard green [ or any acceptable type ] and stick it right in while they are in mid - chew. They rarely decide to spit it out. Worth a try....and will give you something else to do besides tear your hair out. LOL !

LOLOL! Absolutely! You should have seen the mess of worm that FLEW out of his mouth when he got a bite of the greens! He LOVES hornworms, so I used that b/c he really had to chew and open for it and besides, it was green and if he somehow *saw* what I was up to....well, maybe the green would not be so bad. Didn't work out so well, uhg.

It took a while to clean the hornworm *insides* off the various places in the viv. They sure can shake their heads faster than we can see it happen LOL.

What bothers me is that in the beginning, the first 2 weeks or so I would put shredded carrot or cantaloupe or such on the green and hand feed it. He would always eat the green and sometimes take a piece of green only if it was left. Then he just quit. If I roll the green up in a thinly shaved carrot piece he won't touch it, must be able to smell it :roll:

I blend all the greens now and he loves them fed to him...gotta get a silver platter. :roll:

MissT

BD.org Addict
If I do that with huff, he refuses to eat his bugs for days too!! Poor wee mite- he's half the weight of the other 2! Phoebe is also huffing with me at the moment. But a day or 2 of not eating willdo her absolutely no harm! She could stand to lose a few grams...

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
MissT":1wsyzons said:
If I do that with huff, he refuses to eat his bugs for days too!! Poor wee mite- he's half the weight of the other 2! Phoebe is also huffing with me at the moment. But a day or 2 of not eating willdo her absolutely no harm! She could stand to lose a few grams...

It amazes me that we truly can tell when they are *not pleased* with their slave. :mrgreen:

MissT

BD.org Addict
Oh Phoebe is really huffing with me!!!!!! In fact anyone who saw her today would have said she was the one who isnt feeling well - she spent all day with only half of her body poking out of her hide and lay on the tiles giving me the beardie glare!!! The only thing that got her to move was when I offered her a little soy yoghurt on a spoon but as soon as I took the magical shiny spoon away she went back to huffing and got as much of herself as possible into her hide!! Even when I tried to get her out for cuddles tonight, she was having none of it!! I guess im going to have quite a lot of wasted greens this week - on a normal day Phoebe has usually finished her first salad by midday!!

Fortunate

Hatchling Member
Shame you guys, i really feel for you guys!! Being a beardie slave is not easy!!

I am being given the stink eye... (its Dylans lunch time) Its so nice when they eventually start eating again.
I am all out of suggestions, but I will be your cheerleader if you like. lol

ok have to go feed before my master gets all huffy with me :)
Good luck guys!

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
MissT":1a6u082x said:
Oh Phoebe is really huffing with me!!!!!! In fact anyone who saw her today would have said she was the one who isnt feeling well - she spent all day with only half of her body poking out of her hide and lay on the tiles giving me the beardie glare!!! The only thing that got her to move was when I offered her a little soy yoghurt on a spoon but as soon as I took the magical shiny spoon away she went back to huffing and got as much of herself as possible into her hide!! Even when I tried to get her out for cuddles tonight, she was having none of it!! I guess im going to have quite a lot of wasted greens this week - on a normal day Phoebe has usually finished her first salad by midday!!

Oh, MissT! I am so sorry to hear that Phoebe is being such a royal...princess... :mrgreen: Really, that is quite the huff and puff isn't it? :-?

You must be wondering 'what next??? with all that is going on!

Sometimes they remind me of dogs that are in a pout :D

Hope she gets better for you! She *will* miss her cuddles soon.....stubborn little girl LOL

Sherri

MissT

BD.org Addict
She is a major huffy girl- when she was on baytril she wouldn't even let us touch her! When she gets very cross, fingers have to be carefully guarded! She has a huge personality and can have a major attitude problem for weeks at a time- she head bobs, black beards and stamps at the boys too whn she's going through one of her phases!

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
MissT":3dcixrk6 said:
She is a major huffy girl- when she was on baytril she wouldn't even let us touch her! When she gets very cross, fingers have to be carefully guarded! She has a huge personality and can have a major attitude problem for weeks at a time- she head bobs, black beards and stamps at the boys too whn she's going through one of her phases!

LOLOL at the boys! :laughhard: :laughhard: A true dragon if ever there was one!
One things is for certain...she absolutely is NOT in the least bit spoiled, right? :mrgreen: :whip:
Sounds like a mini movie in the making; *Phases of Phoebe* :blob5:
So her middle name is 'Huffy', yes :mrgreen:

lol
Sherri

MissT

BD.org Addict
Haha spoiled? I wish I could spoil her lol! she's a bit too independent - she doesn't seem to need me as much as the boys do :( I call her Madam Phoebe- she thinks she is much too good for us lowly slaves!!

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
AHBD":21wh813v said:

haha- i have on the odd occasion stuffed a green in her mouth when she was gaping and she eats it all, licking her lips afterwards- makes me wonder if she secretly LOVES salad but chooses not to eat it to wind me up!!?? I put the biggest bowl of salad in for her today, in a glass bowl this time full of nice, whole leaves and topped with extra yummies and bee pollen: result- nothing! I put a green in the side of her mouth and she ran away chewing on it. She has started looking inquisitively when i mess around with her salad so i'm hoping thats a start and she may be curious enough to try it herself (or am i just kidding myself :banghead: ) Thanks for your advice to help our welfair and sanity!

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
OHHHH yes, I almost forgot to mention, most beardies are usually not too keen on eating their salad while you watch!

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
wckdbtch":1m3yybsg said:
OHHHH yes, I almost forgot to mention, most beardies are usually not too keen on eating their salad while you watch!

lol, i wonder why that is?!?! I didn't think Terri ate hers when she was little but i caught her a couple of times and she wasn't best pleased. I've been wondering if she's secretly eating it now but it looks very undisturbed most of the time, and when it is messed up i think its because she's walked through it.

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
That sounds familiar. After moving their furniture around last night, Angie showed her complete displeasure with my arrangement:

19072011491.jpg

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
wckdbtch":3ffc7v2a said:
That sounds familiar. After moving their furniture around last night, Angie showed her complete displeasure with my arrangement:

19072011491.jpg

:laughhard: :laughing6: :headbang: Spectacular! lolol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom