The Newbies Guide on What To Buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
It’s recommended that the UVB tubes run ¾ the length of the enclosure so if you’re building a 5’ viv, a 48” should work fine. I prefer to put the bulb in one corner so the other corner is free from the UVB rays so the beardie can get away from them if he feels the need to. They should also be able to get within 6-8” of the bulb for the full benefits.

I’m glad you’re doing your research before getting your beardie(s). If you haven’t read yet, you’ll eventually see that beardies are actually solitary animals. They don’t really need the companionship of another beardie and in most cases they simply do not want it. In a lot of cases one of them will dominate and/or harass the other one and result in a lot of stress which could result in death. Even dragons who have gotten along for years with no problems can suddenly turn on each other. I strongly recommend that you either build two vivs (they can be made as stackables) or stick with getting just one.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hi there,

Well firstly I would recommend against housing two dragons in the same enclosure, no matter the size.

But to answer your question, for a 60'' long tank, you'd want the 48''. Ideally, you want the bulb to span about 3/4ths the length of your tank, and be mounted 6-8 inches from the basking spot.

But good on you for doing your research first and getting everything prepared BEFORE you get your dragons.

Thank you Diane, I am glad you like it. :mrgreen:

EDIT: WOW I got ninja'd!! haha. You are good. :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Thanks for the advice. I think you are right. I should probably only get one for now. I can always build another cage later and get another one. Great info. Thank You.

bmjelken

I am a wood worker. I would like to build my own Dragon enclosure. I saw your link for the Crossfire Enclosure. I do not like melamine. The material he is using is veneered plywood. So plain wood could be used. My question is can the wood be stained inside and out? I use a corn based wood sealer that is hypoallergenic as a finish coat for all my work. It is safe for animals. Just wanted your opinion on the stain?

AND THANK YOU! This has been my go to guide for all my Dragon questions. Much appreciated.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I'm glad you've got much use out of the guide, makes me happy to hear. :mrgreen:

By all means you can build that tank out of solid wood. Melamine is the common as it is cheap.
I would stay away from a wood like pine as it is toxic to dragons. There is another wood to stay away from too, but it is not coming to mind at the moment.
Although, if you were to thoroughly seal, I believe the risk can be minimize or eliminated completely. Don't quote me on that though.

You most certainly can use stains, especially if you are going to be sealing over with a non toxic sealant. I would let the cage heat up with all the normal lights your dragon has first for a few days just to make sure there are no lingering fumes, or fumes that appear under the high heat near the basking surface.

-Brandon

bmjelken

Thanks Brandon!!! :blob5:

I bought seed pods today and we are going to grow our own food - or some of it anyway. I have thyme, oregano, parsley, kale, mint, rosemary, basil and cilantro. Rather excited about this big adventure. Probably as excited as my 9 year old daughter :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oscar, you will have to use a basking bulb otherwise the basking area won't get hot enough because the Repti-Sun tubes really don't throw out heat, get just barely warm.

The Arcadia bulb do throw out heat but still not enough to allow a proper basking temp.

thank you so much Diamc. how many dome fixtures would you recomend with a 40gal breeder cage im getting a dragon that is about 6-8 in long

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It depends on the bulb wattage(s) you use but probably two, one for the basking side and probably a lower wattage bulb on the cool side. Since the beardie is so young, you should aim for a basking temp of 105 to 110 and a cool side in the 78 to 82 range. Make sure you get either a temperature gun or digital probe thermometer for accurate temps.

Creeps

Hi,
What would be best for my set-up.....I have a 4x2x2 wooden enclosure....have the reptisun 10.0 mounted on the inside. But I notice the reptisun HO 10.0 is about $15 cheaper at local pet store
Either one ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom