-Brandon

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Great thread. I'll need to read it in more detail when I can. I fixed a minor typo I saw (power of admin to edit people's posts), where you said to have greens "on had" when you meant "on hand".

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Ah thank you. By all means, admin power away all the typos for me! :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Brandon,

Congratulations, this will be very helpful for the newcomers. :D

Tracie

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
I agree. Great post! It is very frustrating that pet stores give such unreliable and just flat out wrong information regarding beardies (and other animals). This will hopefully prevent some issues in that department.

Thanks for the "OCD" part. I'm planning on being more proactive with my next beardie. I didn't have most of the supplies needed for Dewey when he got sick. I still managed quite nicely rounding things up, but it would've been much more convenient had I had everything on hand. It really can't hurt to be completely prepared!

One other section that you may want to add (no hard feelings if you don't), while it's not necessarily something you can "buy", is to make sure to research vets in your area to make sure that you'll have one lined up BEFORE the beardie comes home. Too many times people post that they don't have any vets or that they haven't tried to find one in their area yet. For me, finding a vet in advance is critical. You just never know what may happen and what can go wrong.

Yaaeee

Thank you! Great post! I work at PetSmart & this will be a great link to slip to customers looking into getting a beardie! I'll see if my manager allows me to post it in our petcare room as well so other associates can familiarate themselves with proper husbandry and care. (Credit posted as well as original link of course. :) )

mortitia

Hatchling Member
Hi

Fantastic guide. Especially with the links to be able to purchase all you need.

Any chance of finding links for the UK as well?

Marie x

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Yaaeee":1z5ycu4t said:
Thank you! Great post! I work at PetSmart & this will be a great link to slip to customers looking into getting a beardie! I'll see if my manager allows me to post it in our petcare room as well so other associates can familiarate themselves with proper husbandry and care. (Credit posted as well as original link of course. :) )

That would be great. It would definitely help a few beardies. :mrgreen:
I doubt that management would allow it to be posted unless they are carrying the majority of items listed.. but that's just business.. :roll:

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
mortitia":2gli5tz4 said:
Hi

Fantastic guide. Especially with the links to be able to purchase all you need.

Any chance of finding links for the UK as well?

Marie x

Hi Marie,

That can be worked out, but it would be quite a challenge to do it for everything. Most things on Amazon will ship to the UK, so all the amazon links should work. And hopefully, you can find everything on amazon or through a quick google search. If you have trouble finding anything let me know and I will try to help, or I will contact one of our over the pond members for some assistance. :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Great post Brandon, glad you took the time to make this, its going to save a lot of heartache with new beardie owners. Im not sure if this is appropriate but I am going to post it anyway. In addition to what Brandon listed for first aid I am going to mention getting a styptic pencil or powder to stop bleeding in case of an injury. Also a first aid antibiotic such as Neosporin, polysporin or a triple antibiotic with NO pain relievers in it.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Tonja,

Perfectly acceptable to offer recommendations or criticism.

The styptic pencil might be a good idea. Can't say i've really heard much about it being used but it can't hurt to keep on hand. Especially if you've got a shaver or two in the house. :D

claudiusx":3sxg484f said:
Also a first aid antibiotic such as Neosporin, polysporin or a triple antibiotic with NO pain relievers in it.
This is why I recommended the betadine.

Which oddly enough reminds me that AHBD often recommends unpasteurized honey for multiple reasons, and I agree, it does seem to have some great effects.

-Brandon

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow Brandon, you outdid yourself! The thermometer article was great, this one is better yet. It was SO nice of you to take the time to break everything down to help new owners as well as posting links detailing all the needed products.

This will be a great help to all of us. Can't thank you enough. And, the beardies will be thankful too. :wink:

I am going to be building a tank (Palace) for my bearded dragons that I plan to get in July (2 females). The cage will be like the crossfire cage only it is going to be 60 X 24 X 24. My question is; Should I get a 48" Reptisun 10.0 bulb for the tank and should I put it in the middle on the back of the tank? Just need some guidance as I am doing a lot of research long before I get them.
I am starting my Dubia Colony in the next couple weeks so that I have it well established before I get my girls.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom