The life and times of Zaxxi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure I should probably just start my own thread. :)

So far we have been having a great time getting to know each other. My kids are in love, my husband is in love. The dog has decided that she doesn't mind sharing cuddles (don't worry - very well trained dog and I'm on high alert anytime they are near each other). One cat has decided to pointedly ignore the thing in the tank. The other cat is all "CRICKETS!!!!!!!!!" and will attack the tank when she sees one.

Only 1 major mishap so far... I'm starting a meal worm colony (partially for Zaxxi and partially for my friend's chickens) and right now it's in a large tupperware sitting above the heat lamp on the wire tank lid. Last night my 8yo was saying good night to Zaxxi and some how managed to knock the container off the tank... Suddenly there was a 4 foot diameter circle of meal worm food/bedding and ~250 tiny worms on the carpet. :shock:

I spent almost an hour picking up the tiny worms, one by one by one by one.

I've already shared these pics, but they are my current favorites!

Kessed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kmc4392":6obby0jg said:
That cricket looks a bit big for her. Does the pet store near you sell small medium and large? I know some places either have the tiny crickets or the regular/large ones. If you can try to get smaller crickets in the future, the general rule is food shouldn't be larger than the space between a beardie's eyes.

Don't worry. There are more small ones on their way. The shipment I got a couple weeks ago has matured faster than they should have. I've been taking out the adult ones and freezing them. Trying to only feed her the smaller ones. That one slipped through.

However, she has eaten the occasional big one and been fine. It's not something I try to have happen.

The one in this case was one left over from my husband feeding her before work and not being as careful as he should have been. So, maybe she doesn't eat the adults.

kmc4392

Hatchling Member
Oh okay perfect :]

I never thought of freezing crickets before...I actually might try that with my mealworms because Dalia doesn't like eating them anymore and I am probably going to grind them up for my hermit crabs. I don't have an over abundance of crickets left over by the end of the week because Dalia scarfs them down when I put them in her tank. Lol I've been trying to ween her off of crickets as a staple and try to get greens as the main source of food. As one can predict it is a push pull battle with her...

Kessed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Check out her leg. That does not look comfortable.

I love that once night falls (artificial in our case since we are having 17+ hours of daylight right now) she climbs her tree and goes to sleep.

Kessed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Zaxxi's new home is finally starting to come together. We installed the new UV light, made some branches for her to climb, and one for her to hide in. I'm still planning on a bio active soil dig box an some plants. But those need to wait until I have time.

This is what we have in there so far.

She loves this new place to chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom