Tengu's great adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

So, now my BD is 16 months old and she is at 42cm long and 355g. We believe she is fully grown and would like some advice on feeding.

Currently she gets fresh salad every day and 20 L size crickets once a day. Should we now start decreasing the amount of crickets? She LOVES them of course and salad is like a "Do I have to eat it?"

So any advice at the age she is at etc?

Thank you in advance

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sounds terrible :(

Gym sounds good!! Like my shoulder now I have it treated it is so much better. Still not perfect but at least I can move it now and my spine has become moveable which is great! Latest thing is a tempur pillow, neck is so much better already!!!! May be expensive but worth it!

So, Tengu this morning had a batha nd I thought hmmmmm toothbrush! So I used mine that's about to be replaced and I washed it first and she licked it in case it was going to eat her :lol: :lol: and she let out a huge HISSSSSSSSS I was like WTF was that LOL straight away she was fine so I guess there was mint smell on it still. So she enjoyed the scrub down with it anyhow :D especially on her beard :lol:

I took an iPhone picture which I will show you soon.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm glad she enjoyed the scrub with the toothbrush, I'm going to do that to Nathaniel soon, but his shed isn't near to coming loose, so I think coconut tomorrow if it's not loosened up anymore.

So Cierra is making eggs again, I could feel them when I massaged her belly in the bath today (she doesn't poop much when she's gravid, but she eats tons). I weighed her and she's 500g and her belly is hanging down...so probably soon...she'll have to wait until I'm home for the dig box but she's not ready for that yet.

The rest are doing well. Nathaniel spent all day in his hide yesterday but I pulled him out this am and he basked all day, had outside time and snuggles, so he's ok. Didn't go into his hide to sleep tonight.

I called Canon for my camera and printer and got the best customer service I've ever had. I now can download pictures to my camera and the printer is working great! I'm so thrilled. got it set up to WiFi and got it to print, now to figure out the fax machine & see if that works. Have to bring up the manual & check it out.

So Cami, my building manager's son Jake is selling all his crested geckos. He had 5 females So I'm getting 2 red ones and my friend Joanne is getting the 3 others. $40 each, which is a great deal because they're all high end females. Mine will go into Rocco's tank, will be glad to have it filled up again. :D

I'll post some pictures tomorrow, after I get the new cresties home, k?

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes she loved the beard getting a scrub LOL she's so white in random places HAHAHAHAHAAH

Cierra again?!? How many times does it happen normally? I thought it was once? And it's false right? Crazy!!!! I hope princess doesn't have this!

Canon rock! Customer service is great, products are great and just great! LOL

Oh I've finished my book for the canon gallery. I will send you a link so you can view it online. I made the preview of the whole book so you can see it all. And of course you may purchase it LOL HAHAH nah please do have a look and I hope you enjoy it.

Looking forward to the crested gecko pictures!!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Before Sweetie died, she was up to 8 clutches of 30=35 eggs each. It's what eventually killed her, wore her down completely. 2-4 clutches is normal. Some just do that, some never lay an egg in their lifetimes. No rhyme or reason why some lay and some don't. I'm hoping this is the last clutch.

I'll be looking forward to that book and will take pics as soon as I get the cresties home tomorrow. Have to get to the pet shop before I bring them home, though.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Call me paranoid, but now I am thinking Tengu has eggs due to her weight gain and early sleeping.

Hmmmm how do I check for eggs please?

Thank you

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
I couldn't feel eggs in my beardie even on the days she laid them, I don't know where she put them all. You can try gently palpitating the abdomen to see if there are round objects but my experience was that I couldn't feel any. It was her behaviour that tipped me off to put her in a lay box not any visual anatomical changes.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh wow!

I think Tengu is just lazy because of shedding. It is the worst I have seen on her since I got her. Another bath today and then oil on 19th. It doesn't seem to want to loosen at all.

X-ray of a beardie would be such a great picture!!! I want it!!

Yes I will keep an eye out for signs of false pregnancy like digging etc. I guess if she does do it I need to provide a box with.......... what inside? and do what with the eggs? Just throw them?

Of course lots of questions to do with this :D Thank you

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
you'll want a to fill a box with playground sand and soil. a little moist so it can be formed into shapes and dig a little cave for her to start with. There should be instructions in the care guide.

If you aren't going to hatch the eggs or they're infertile, put them in the freezer overnight so they can't hatch. That way there's no chance of a poor little baby hatching in a garbage dump.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I have a big rubbermaid container and I filled it full of unfertilized soil mixed with sand. They have to have lots of space to dig, so mine is nice and deep. I keep the soil after she uses it and dig up her eggs and yes, I throw them out. When the time ever comes, we'll go over the signs in more depth.

Cierra had her form of a black beard most of the day today, but if I pick her up or put her out it's gone. Not sure what that's about, though I think she has parasites. Will have to get some fecal samples.

So Nathaniel has decided that it's time to brumate, I can't get him out of his hide, this is the 3rd day, so I'll let him sleep but he'll be up on Sunday because it's bath time and he needs to do a last poop before I let him sleep for good. Silly bugger, it's only June! but last year he went to sleep in August, so not too early. Weird though.

Otherwise dragons are fine, even though I'm finding that Gabriel is sleeping very early 13:00, but he is up at 6a. Still, he'll be getting a vet visit. It's hard to get to the vet right now because the bridge that I take to get there is under construction and because of it, traffic is NUTS. So if I get a fecal, I can't just run it over in the am, can't get near the place by other routes as the traffic, as I said, is CRAZY. So I haven't done anything about it. I'll have to see when my vet is in on a Saturday...I can't wait until this construction is over but that won't be until early Oct! At least Nathaniel's poops have never been smelly and are firm and good urate, so maybe I'll just let him sleep.

I took pics of my new cresties, one is very pale, almost white, the other is a deep red, very beautiful, high end, good deal at $40 each. Joanne, my best friend, took 3 cresties, a brindle and 2 Harlequins. Mine have just laid infertile eggs so are a bit skinny but the 3 Joanne got are fat like my Bunny (I weighed her and she's 50g!) :shock: That's heavy for a 9" crested gecko :lol: So I've given up giving them crickets, they're on straight meal replacements. YEAH don't have to deal with disgusting crickets anymore!

So back to work next week, as I said, 4 hours M-T-W and 6 hrs T-F, then full time following Monday. I don't think they're going to complain about that, seeing as how tired I always am lately.

I did get blood test results (can get them online) and all normal but B12 is high because I've been taking high doses of it, hoping to get more energy, but that hasn't worked at all. So will stop taking it for awhile. See doc in the am, he will be very unpleased with me self-dosing. But he'll be ok that I'm not taking anymore at all, at least for awhile, have to get the results back to normal.

Say hi to Tengu, tell her my boys enjoy when you post a pic of her :D

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Good to know! I had a gentle feel about today and nothing there but padding! :lol: :lol: and no digging etc so i think I am safe this year! :blob5:

her form of a black beard :D I wonder what that is like !

Nathaniel is trying to brumate NOW?? when is normal? Winter isn't it?

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your new cresties! I really do not like crickets!! I used to but now with dubia I realize how much better they are. I am going to buy another box on the weekend and start my adults only box LOL :lol: :lol:

Good to know your blood tests were normal! I am happy to hear that!

WOW shes doing it again!!! As soon as I type to you shes comes to the front of the tank and watches! It is so weird because she only does it when I type to you!!

I took her outside today for some sun, only ten minutes as its 31 and strong sun today. She seemed to enjoy it and then I brought her back in and oiled her up LOL I can see this shed is not going to come off easily. I just gave her three dubia as well. I am starting to run low so I need to start a new box and order more for feeding while the adult only box fills up. What ratio again? I need to half it if not quarter it for now.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So for the roaches 5 females to 1 male is a good ratio, but you can go 3 females to 1 male, too, that's what I did because I had more males than females. I fed off the rest of the males. I'll check again in the fall. I did check & there are lots of little babies, so they're breeding, which is great. I won't be doing anything but feeding them until the fall, by then I'm hoping to have tons of sub adults to feed Imp. That's the 20 gallon tank. The 10 gallon tank has babies, too, but that tank is to feed my friend's Joanne's dragons, as I made that colony up for her. And seeing as how she lets me have all my mail sent to her house, I don't mind doing that for her. Plus she was the one who helped me the most when I had my ankle surgery, she took me shopping often to make sure I had fresh food in the house, while I never saw my son once...sigh...so she will have my everlasting gratitude. :D

I'm glad you had sun today, so did I but with the cresties being delivered early this am and having to deliver Joanne's 3, I didn't have much time to put mine out in the sunshine. It's been quite cool here for the last month, which has been great for me. The dragons like it cool, too.

As for Nathaniel brumating, alot brumate in the summer, have no idea why, even though makes sense, as it's winter in Australia. The others all brumate in the winter, even though Cierra knocked herself out last year, she went down in August and didn't wake up until February, when I finally woke her up and blocked off her hide. Took her awhile to get over it, she kept draping herself over the hide but 6 months was enough for me. Nathaniel was up in October. I hate it when they brumate. Gabriel has never brumated in his 5 1/2 yrs, but he still falls asleep at 13:00 and was even earlier in the winter, that's why he's the first beardie out in the am and why I can't get him to lose weight. I have to feed him this weekend. At least with Nathaniel sleeping that's one less dragon I have to feed. I have to make sure Nathaniel does one last poop before I let him sleep, he has to have his digestive system empty to brumate and stay healthy.

Oh Cierra's type of black beard is dark brown along the bottom of her beard, not full black like the boys. You'd hardly notice it really, except I know her and when she's pissed off :lol:

I had all 3 cresties out tonight, the two new ones are already eating. I played with them for awhile, then put them back and got Bunny out, poor sweet girl, she's shedding again. So put her back after misting her well. The complete shed will be off in the am. They don't shed like beardies, in patches, they shed their whole body at one time. Then pull the shed off and eat it, so then they're not hungry for a few days.

And the two I got aren't as thin as I thought. I can't wait to find out what's wrong with my camera! I want to show you my pretty girls. So one is a very light red and the other is a dark red. Highly sought after in the crestie world.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
My post disappeared!

I guess Tengu recognizes my signature or profile pic? Either way, tell her I said hi!

So for roaches anywhere from 3 to 5 females to 1 male. If there are too many males they will fight and not breed. So that is a good ratio.

My 2 tanks of roaches are starting to breed, can see lots of little babies, but will be the fall before I'll have enough of a good enough size to feed Imp again. he'll be fed from the 20 gallon only now and the 10 gallon's roaches will be for Joanne's 4 beardies. I made that colony up for her years ago when I got a bargain, over 2000 roaches for $60! From a lady I met, which was a great deal!

As for brumation, seeing as it's winter in Australia that would make sense. Alot of dragons sleep in the summer time, but more sleep in the winter. I hate brumation, Cierra slept for 6 mo last year and Nataniel slept for just over 2 months. I'm not sure why he's down so early, but guess it's not early for him. I personally hate brumation but it's in their blood to sleep when they consider it winter.

And as for Cierra's black beard, it's dark brown just along the fringe on the bottom of her beard, very cute, but it's always because she's pissed off about something. She gets very temperamental when she's carrying eggs :roll: I just hope she lays them soon, but she'll have to wait until I'm home or she'll have to lay in her tank. She's the one that's going to be the most annoyed when I go back to work, as she gets the most time out right now. She's as spoiled as Tengu!

So I had the new cresties out tonight, they are so beautiful. One is a very light red and the other is a dark red. They're both already eating the Grubs 'n Fruit Repashy I put out for them. Then I took Bunny out, after I put the other two back. Poor Bunny looks like a ghost, she's shedding. Cresties always shed their whole body, it's weird how you can hardly tell, then their skin just lifts off their bodies and they look pale, then the skin is off overnight. Not like dragons at all.

I can't wait to get my camera fixed up, as I miss loading pics onto here!

Big hug to Tengu!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom