Tengu's great adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

So, now my BD is 16 months old and she is at 42cm long and 355g. We believe she is fully grown and would like some advice on feeding.

Currently she gets fresh salad every day and 20 L size crickets once a day. Should we now start decreasing the amount of crickets? She LOVES them of course and salad is like a "Do I have to eat it?"

So any advice at the age she is at etc?

Thank you in advance

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It is, they love being in the sunshine. I've noticed that mine are all different. Leo & Cierra will stay more in the sunshine if they're on the lazyboy, less direct heat. Castiel, my 1 yr old, will stay in the sun the longest outside. Gabriel is like Leo, likes it better on the Lazyboy. Nathaniel is like Castiel. They're all so different!

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh Tengu is a little miss princess at the moment!

I gave her a bath yesterday to help with her shedding and she didn't fall for the crickets trick and was not impressed with her bath (as usual)

Then I spent some time redoing her hammock as she stood there looking at me as if to say "about time" and then gave the new holders a beardie stare!!! LOL

So yeh the shedding really makes a difference to them and their mood. Poor girl!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Shedding affects different dragons differently. Some don't have issues & some, like your Tengu and my Gabriel, are just miserable, won't eat & look miserable, too. She'll be eating lots once she starts shedding, I'm sure. She's got enough fat on her to be without bugs for up to a week, so I'm sure she'll be fine.

I laughed out loud when I read about her reaction to you fixing her hammock :lol: They might not be able to make sounds, but they sure get their point across :mrgreen: Gotta love them :D

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ohhhh yes they know how to get their point across very well!!

I came across some pictures i took of her when we first got her and wow she is huge now!! You don't really notice and one day they suddenly look like mini godzillas!! I am sure they know it as well!! Dont pick me up, I'm big!!!!

Tengu certainly needs more time to be a big green cat if you know what I mean. I was thinking to get her or make her one of those cat type things. The ones that have a scratch pole and sleeping area. Obviously not a scratch pole but maybe like a rocky ladder to the big hammock in a sun spot. maybe I will wait until we move house and dedicate a big area to her new bigger tank and sun spot. She is so spoilt it is ridiculous!!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Dragons are meant to be spoiled, it what we enjoy. There are alot of people who have those cat type things for their cats but it's their dragons that enjoy them most.

When do you move?

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh really, people have them for dragons? That's cool to know.

We hopefully move by next April if not sooner. her Tank is big enough and its areally nice one, but we want to get another beardie so we would move Tengu into a huge tank and put the new one in the big tank. LOL it is so funny when I type and I look to my left and there she is on her hammock watching me with her beady eye!! I can imagine she is just thinking okay where are the crickets?

Actually yesterday I saw a HUGE praying mantis!! I got it into one of those insect tanks and put in a live cricket and had the pleasure of watching the mantis grab it and devour it!! It was quite amazing and as i am a photographer I got some great shot of it, Actually if you go to a site called 500px you will see it. here is a link to my page https://500px.com/tresflip

I hope you enjoy the pics on there

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I did, you're a wonderful photographer. I enjoyed the picture of the praying mantis, can you keep it? They are interesting bugs.

And yes, have you noticed that she will follow everything you are doing, then look at you as if you're crazy? I get that look all the time, from all 5 of mine :lol:

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
hahahahahahahahahah I cannot imagine having five of them questioning my every move with "that look" :D :D

Yes I will keep the Mantis :D easy to look after and quite fascinating insects. Actually my friend who is an animal lover especially wildlife said "let it go, poor thing getting that big and then captured" so i felt bad and let it go. Funny thing is it came back and went into the tank by itself!!! It knew a good deal when it saw one!

Thank you for your kind words about my photography :) I am in the process of building a light box for Tengu. I will never use flash with animals so a light box/tent has constant light so not to freak her out and me having a dragon running around the house trying to escape. Also it will be quite warm in there so she will be happy. I hope to get "the stare" and show you the picture one day.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'll look forward to seeing more of your photography. I use the flash on my dragons when necessary, but it's an auto flash, so most of my pictures are without.
I have my own very long thread on here. I started it in 2010! But if you look back from the end a few pages, I have alot of pics of my crew posted there. Here's the link.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=123266&start=7380

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hello!

What a day!

It started with, dare I say it...... A BATH!!!! She has a huge amount of shedding going on so I thought tough luck! In she went and she didn't freak out (odd) then it made sense.... she knew she was going to have a number 2 and let me tell you it was a monster of a number 2 :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

After that she soon started to claw her way out of the sink! So I took her outside and we basked in the sun together. While she was enjoying that one of my neighbors came out on her way to work and saw Tengu.... her face was priceless!! But she touched Tengu which was very brave :lol: :lol:

So after an eventful morning I carried on with my light tent and Tengu was being nosy as usual so when I got it all set up Tengu had a photo shoot. I soon realized it was a bit small for her as she is a big girl now but lesson learned. She wasn't too impressed with it but I cannot say I was surprised! LOL

So I have attached some shots of her :) I hope you enjoy.
81643-7977089630.jpg
81643-323718181.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Great shots of her, she has lot of yellow on her, she's so pretty.

That was nice of your neighbour to not run off screaming LOL

Yes, more shots of your beautiful girl when you have time.

I slept with Gabriel and Castiel last night, they are arch enemies, but they snuggled with me, then fell asleep (this was about 4p, and they're up at 5:30a, so that's when they get tired). So they slept side by side, covered by blankets until I woke up at 5a and put them back in their tanks. They protested in leaving my bed, but I can't warm them up, so that was that. It was nice to have company :D

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you. Yes she is very yellow!!

Awwwwwwwwwwww so cute they sleep with you!! If I even tried that with Tengu she would suck her stomach in and run off! :lol:

Currently she is watching me at the front of the tank and yawning! Don't you just love they way they yawn!! Puff their big beard out and yawwwwnnnnnn and then look at you as if to say " what?"

I think Tengu is still sulking with me from yesterday and thinking "don't even try that again"

funny girl! Oh and yesterday was weigh in and she came in at 467g! near the 500g mark

Have a good day :D

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Wow, she's growing tons and will do more once that shed is done for. And still hates her bath? I have 2 that keep jumping out of their baths, I have to stand & keep watch over them every second to prevent that. They'll jump off the counter and take off if I'm not watching them. That's Nathaniel & Cierra, the brother and sister. The other 3 will stay in their baths and I can leave them to it for their 15-20 minutes, they won't jump out at all. They're the easy ones LOL

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
HI there

Please excuse my late reply. Because I am in Japan and this site has blocked Japan because of spam etc my IP address gets blocked and I have to ask admin to allow it.

Anyway quick question if I may? Yesterday Tengu was looking rather lethargic and didn't touch her crickets which is a first, also she was pissed at me grabbing her and even puffed :( is this down to her shedding? She has got rid of a lot of it now but still it is on her arms and underneath her chest. I am not sure how it makes them feel emotionally so......

Thank you

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
My dragons are being affected by our weather, which is getting colder daily. I'm not sure what the seasons are like in Japan, but if you're heading for winter months, the change in weather will affect her appetite and her sleeping patterns. She'll sleep more and eat less. As for being mad at you, the shedding is probably part of it, but the seasonal changes can affect them, too. Plus she's a girl :lol: When I went away for 2 days in August, it was Cierra, my only girl, that was the maddest at me. She gave me the complete stink eye for almost a week after. My 4 boys were annoyed for a day, then all was forgiven. So I think it's all those reasons, but you grabbing her without her permission, too. She's in charge, remember :mrgreen: Even though I'm their mom, Cierra gets annoyed at me more easily than the 4 boys. She makes me laugh, so that's what you have to do with her. When I get puffed at, I just leave her alone. You just can't win with a dragon, they will always be in charge :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom